Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 10:25 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It is just hard to feel a lot of sympathy when you have lost babies. I'm not one to say "your feelings don't matter because people have had it worse", in general. That bothers me. But..."I'm sad I am having a girl" is sooooooooo hard to swallow after so many losses. It is painfully immature. The OP should be doing back flips her child had a heart beat.
You're wrong.

My wife lost two, then got the cancer and the treatment eliminated the possibility of any more. That doesn't make me unable to understand the OP's disappointment. Your inability is on *you*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 10:28 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Ha ha Id be very surprised that this poster can actually carry a baby, I think its a teenage boy having a laugh at us all on here, he or she must have five posts on the go on Parenting, He or she has joined in June, first posts.. different names.. He or she is determined to take over the Parenting threads on here.. and are sitting back laughing... It might be a group of friends on their own computer and why its not showing in IPs..wake up posters were being duped.
Oh, I see.😟

Old 06-14-2016, 10:45 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtobe24 View Post
I know from the topic it sounds horrible, but it is true. I am 24 and have been married two years to a wonderful man. To be quite honest I really would prefer a boy. It may sound really cliche but to be quite honest I really am not very "girly' or are really into typical girl things and it bothers me knowing I am having a girl. I grew up with two sisters who were very annoying and frankly can't stand so it's not as if I don't know what it is like growing up with girls considering they are both younger and I helped raise them.

I also realize the gender is out of my control and it was a possibility but I really hoped it was a boy, and when I recently found out I was having a girl I admit I cried. My husband says he would have preferred a boy as well but we can still have a good time raising a girl which I am sure he is right, but it doesn't really help me. Again, I know it sounds horrible, but I can't help how I feel.
Hormones can do crazy things to our minds. If you are just disappointed about your baby's gender, that's normal. But, if you find yourself really dreading having a baby because she is a girl, please talk to your doctor and get a referral to a therapist.

Do this as early as possible, even before giving birth. Having a baby is a big change, and sometimes we need a little support to work through our emotions while going through this change, especially when hormones are running rampant. There is no shame in asking for that help. In fact, that's part of being a good parent.

Best wishes to you and your husband.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:32 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
My best friend's husband is #7 of 8 boys. My daughter plays soccer with a family that has 5 daughters. You are statistically more likely to continue having the same gender after you already have 2 of that gender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Source?
I have three sons. Probably because of them, I seem to know dozens of other families with 3 sons. I'd be interested in that source too, as it seems to be a possibility. My mother had 4 sons before her first daughter.
I wasn't willing to keep trying to see if that happened in our case.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:02 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,667 times
Quote:
I know from the topic it sounds horrible, but it is true. I am 24 and have been married two years to a wonderful man. To be quite honest I really would prefer a boy. It may sound really cliche but to be quite honest I really am not very "girly' or are really into typical girl things and it bothers me knowing I am having a girl. I grew up with two sisters who were very annoying and frankly can't stand so it's not as if I don't know what it is like growing up with girls considering they are both younger and I helped raise them.

I also realize the gender is out of my control and it was a possibility but I really hoped it was a boy, and when I recently found out I was having a girl I admit I cried. My husband says he would have preferred a boy as well but we can still have a good time raising a girl which I am sure he is right, but it doesn't really help me. Again, I know it sounds horrible, but I can't help how I feel.
Get some help before the baby comes, please. Go get some counseling or therapy.

Seriously... you wanted a boy and are not getting one, so you're not happy about having a girl. WOW. And your hubby would prefer a boy too, right? Be prepared, chances are that the next one will be a girl too... I've seen it time and time again.

Ever think of being grateful for the fact that you ARE pregnant and can have a child?

Girls are undesirable? Sounds like you have some issues about loving females and probably yourself deep down inside.

Get help. NOW. Do it for your unborn child. If you truly don't want her, please give her up for adoption forthwith and allow her to have a loving Mom and Dad who would be thrilled to have her or any child grace their lives.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
Quote:

I suspect that when she's born, you'll feel that deep parental love we get for our children.

Also, keep in mind that this isn't the 1850s. What do I mean by that? Well, for decades now, tomboys have been considered happy well adjusted children. And in the past two generations, girls have blazed trails and blasted stereotypes. They're athletes, they're scholars, they become doctors, scientists, engineers. They work in IT.

Today's girl is different from pre WWII era girls, for example. You may find your daughter to be completely outside stereotypes of days gone by.

You do have to let kids' own personalities develop, yes, but you can expose her to athletic and other activities.

And not to impose religious views on people- but, well, we're individual spirits or, if you prefer, core personalities first and gender is secondary if not tertiary.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:20 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
You're wrong.

My wife lost two, then got the cancer and the treatment eliminated the possibility of any more. That doesn't make me unable to understand the OP's disappointment. Your inability is on *you*.
I guess you are the most empathetic person on earth. I bow down to you.

P.S. You don't know my history

Old 06-14-2016, 03:52 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying. It's just I worry about getting a "girly girl". I don't know much at all about fashion, or even makeup really. And I worry she will be one of those kind of girls. Not to even mention all the crazy emotions to deal with in her teen years. Boys are a lot easier to handle and far less problems.
Lol, say what? You must not know the boys I know then.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:36 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
Perhaps a little generosity of spirit could be spared. She is having her first kid, she is likely overwhelmed (as others mentioned), and processing a lot of emotions on a lot of different hormones that aren't what her body is used to.

I can't imagine what the country would be like if everyone was so judgmental, writing everyone else off so quickly, but to their faces. Glad most people vent that side of themselves online I suppose, though it is getting worse and more common for it to spread to personal encounters.
She's the one "writing off" the baby.

And while I'm no psychiatrist she said it was because she had issues with sisters and having to "raise them".

So this baby is being born behind the eight ball as it is.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:35 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
Might be fine. When baby is born, moms often feel a deep rush of love and the bond comes in. I've heard of parents who had such thoughts and did a complete 180 when they held their newborn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting