Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 02:28 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Can we not have a discussion without damning the opposition?
No. F you.

Quote:
(And I did get your point but I just don't thinks it's really applicable to the situations we're discussing - which for the most part IS harnesses and their usage. Which is generally for a very limited time and very specific circumstances. I don't recall anyone indicating they planned on walking their toddler in the park every day in the hopes that somehow self control magically appeared.)
Well I guess I have seen harness use all over the place, so spoke to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

You can not know that the parent is thinking any such thing.
There is some evidence of that on this thread.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
I personally don't mind the term leash. But some clearly used it specifically to make the canine connection. THAT is offensive.

And yes, most parents who use them have kids who are 9 -24 months.

If I didn't learn to go with the flow occasionally, I'd be a walking heart attack from the stress that occurs when *you know what goes here* happens. Because it will. I'd probably also be divorced. There are times to insist on control and times it really isn't all that important. I am much more pleasant to be around having learned that. Trust me on that. (not implying you should learn it - just me. I can get control freaky. It isn't pretty)

Using a harness a handful of times did not damage my son. He learned stuff, he's normal (-ish ), healthy, still very active, finishing up his college degree, working multiple jobs, maintaining good grades and planning a big post graduation trip. He didn't miss the lesson on self control.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
No. F you.

Quote:
Well I guess I have seen harness use all over the place, so spoke to that.
Hmmm. Maybe regional? I RARELY see them outside of specific circumstances - the airport (where I seem to be a lot lately) mainly.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-16-2016 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-16-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Hmmm. Maybe regional? I RARELY see them outside of specific circumstances - the airport (where I seem to be a lot lately) mainly.
Oh. That repositions my thinking a little. I saw it a ton on vacation. But in my home state, not so much. Alert the media. Internet communication might have changed an opinion! Huh.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Oh. That repositions my thinking a little. I saw it a ton on vacation. But in my home state, not so much. Alert the media. Internet communication might have changed an opinion! Huh.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Not one single post here has given an actual good reason for not using a harness.
Yes, they have, more than one. Perhaps you just skimmed those.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:

I see them in airports, amusement parks, and that's about it. I don't know if I've ever seen one just out and about running errands or at the park. That tells me they are the exception not the rule. Like I said we don't have an epidemic of pre-teens who run off because they never learned not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes, they have, more than one. Perhaps you just skimmed those.
Like they look like dog leashes? They don't teach kids to stay close? I've already discounted both of those.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:42 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I wish I had used a harness with my daughter. She was ADHD and it would have helped me out a lot to use one. I see nothing wrong with them. They are also extra security in crowded situations.

I'll never forget the time in Disneyland inside a gift shop when all of a sudden my hand was grabbed. I looked down at a little boy who took hold of my hand as though I was his mother and it creeped me out immediately. Gratefully his mother saw him do it, so she knew it wasn't ME who took hold of her son. She was shocked and upset, because he didn't like strangers. And I looked nothing like his mother. Very weird.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:08 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I'll never forget the time in Disneyland inside a gift shop when all of a sudden my hand was grabbed. I looked down at a little boy who took hold of my hand as though I was his mother and it creeped me out immediately. Gratefully his mother saw him do it, so she knew it wasn't ME who took hold of her son. She was shocked and upset, because he didn't like strangers. And I looked nothing like his mother. Very weird.
This happened to my husband on his first day of kindergarten. He grabbed the wrong mom's hand. He recalls that she just smiled at him, but he was mortified.

I think it's sad that you were creeped out by a little child's accidentally taking your hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting