Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 1,921 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 6, me and her father share custody he gets her every weekend. We broke up when my daughter was 3. He was very controlling and verbally abusive towards me. We haven't got along for the past 3 years. He would txt me all the time just verbally harrasing me. He emotionally isn't a stable person. He has a felon for selling weed, the girlfriend he has living with him had her kids taken away and they were adopted, because she had drug problems. I currently am not working and living with my parents. I'm trying my hardest to find a job. I do have a clean record and don't do drugs or drink. Almost 2 years ago he attacked his girlfriend in front of our daughter the cops were called but he wasn't arrested. Whenever my daughter goes over there she comes back in a horrible mood. Him and his gf are always breaking up she has moved out 5 times in a year. He says he is taking me to court for full custody, he says because I don't have a job I can't finacally support her. But she is in a good environment well taken care of, he does pay child support. What are his chances of getting full custody? I'm really worried about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 05:31 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,933,008 times
Nobody here is qualified to answer that question. The entire story is bigger and much more involved than one paragraph. Your lawyer is the person to ask. If you don't have one, get one well-versed in family law, many years and success practicing family law. Your lawyer should be a pitbull, you don't hire one to be your friend. When a child is at stake, your lawyer should want to make his life miserable, until he relents and you get custody.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:15 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times
Not sure where you live, but check to see if your local bar association has a pro bono program you can apply for to get free legal Counsel.

Unfortunately I have similar exes. I have primary custody. The trick is lots of documentation. I keep a detailed log of all activity, pictures of nasty texts, emails and save threatening voicemails.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:28 AM

3 posts, read 1,921 times
I'm getting a lawyer my family is helping me with that. Thank you.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:00 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie2727 View Post
I'm getting a lawyer my family is helping me with that. Thank you.
Great!

Old 07-27-2016, 02:26 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie2727 View Post
My daughter is 6, me and her father share custody he gets her every weekend. We broke up when my daughter was 3. He was very controlling and verbally abusive towards me. We haven't got along for the past 3 years. He would txt me all the time just verbally harrasing me. He emotionally isn't a stable person. He has a felon for selling weed, the girlfriend he has living with him had her kids taken away and they were adopted, because she had drug problems. I currently am not working and living with my parents. I'm trying my hardest to find a job. I do have a clean record and don't do drugs or drink. Almost 2 years ago he attacked his girlfriend in front of our daughter the cops were called but he wasn't arrested. Whenever my daughter goes over there she comes back in a horrible mood. Him and his gf are always breaking up she has moved out 5 times in a year. He says he is taking me to court for full custody, he says because I don't have a job I can't finacally support her. But she is in a good environment well taken care of, he does pay child support. What are his chances of getting full custody? I'm really worried about this.
Sounds like you need to hire this attorney and seek full-custody. All the issues you listed are going to help your case. You can have some more control with full custody, especially regarding keeping your daughter safe, which should include away from this drug using live in of your Ex.

Your attorney will guide you. But, if it were me, I'd start writing up a detailed paper of what has transpired since your divorce regarding your Ex, and his girl friend, and why these are detrimental to your daughter's safety and well-being. This will help your Attorney to prepare your case, and when you talk to him. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:22 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,909,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Sounds like you need to hire this attorney and seek full-custody. All the issues you listed are going to help your case. You can have some more control with full custody, especially regarding keeping your daughter safe, which should include away from this drug using live in of your Ex.

Your attorney will guide you. But, if it were me, I'd start writing up a detailed paper of what has transpired since your divorce regarding your Ex, and his girl friend, and why these are detrimental to your daughter's safety and well-being. This will help your Attorney to prepare your case, and when you talk to him. Good luck.
Yes, you have more of a case for full custody than he does. I doubt he has any chance at this. He may even lose some or most of his custody time depending on what you do in response to this. Personally, I think you should file for a change in custody agreement based on his home environment.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:07 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

Your attorney will guide you. But, if it were me,
I'd start writing up a detailed paper of what has transpired since your divorce regarding your Ex, and his girl friend, and why these are detrimental to your daughter's safety and well-being. This will help your Attorney to prepare your case, and when you talk to him. Good luck.
Instead of writing "Sally has come back from seeing her dad in a bad mood many times" use as many actual dates and specific situations as you can. Get out your old calendars, your diary, look back on old Facebook posts, talk to your parents to see if they jotted down details. Be truthful and honest.

April 10, 2016 Sally was crying and said that "Daddy yelled at her for spilling her milk" Sally cried for ten minutes and woke up crying that night.

May 15, 2016 Sally called me & her grandma a "Fat, f****** b****es". When I asked her why she said that she told me "That's what Daddy's girl friend always calls you and Grandma"

I would also keep a record of my job hunting, just in case Sally's dad says that you really aren't trying very hard to find work. They may ask for a budget to prove that you really can support your daughter. Your attorney will probably tell you other ways to prepare for a custody hearing.

Get a good attorney that specializes in custody matters. This is not a time to try to "save a few bucks" by going with cousin Harry who does Real Estate law.

Good luck.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:15 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Absolutely right, Germaine (I couldn't rep you again!) - it's the details that will build your case, OP, and will totally overwhelm whatever "emotional pleas" your ex tries to make. You will be rational and prepared and he will easily reveal that his "case" rests on nothing. Don't forget to use all those texts you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting