Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:25 AM

28 posts, read 22,380 times

Advertisements

It's been a while and I have visited her. Just to clarify, incase I didn't make it clear - it was her emailing me asking me to call her, not me initiating the calls.

We speak, but things are different. She has also been off of opioids and without them for the first time in many years, as I discovered. So, the daughter now, is not the daughter who was going through all the issues. Life seems much simpler for her now and that's good.

By the way stellastar2345- your opinion matters not. People have children at various ages and levels of maturity. Obviously by your narrow views, you must be attempting to emerge from adolescence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,199,353 times
well the therapy didn't seem to work otherwise she would have clarified what those boundaries are and why instead of doing the silent treatment sigh!

However I agree with the advice. Leave it be and try not to panic. Let her have her space and meanwhile be available if need be, keep strong. This is not about you but about her trying to find her place, and maybe not being so emotionally reliant on you. That is a good thing even if it isn't being handled very well, but keep in mind she might be overwhelmed.

Oh I just saw your update. Glad you are speaking.

Last edited by Spuggy; 09-19-2017 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: saw an update on original post

Old 09-20-2017, 04:37 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,343,801 times
Just because she isn't burning up your phone every single day doesn't mean she is giving you the silent treatment.

Not sure, but you are coming across as a bit over bearing.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:52 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackirishgirl View Post
My daughter is a young widow 39 yrs old with 3 kids - 19, 17 and 5. Normally we would speak everyday via Skype because I live in another country. She would always initiate the call and we would talk almost all the way to her office while she drove.

She was seeing a therapist <>
Therapists will do stuff like that . They are done with the patient so they want to close off the client's life.
Hopefully your daughter will get past that.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:15 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Therapists will do stuff like that . They are done with the patient so they want to close off the client's life.
Hopefully your daughter will get past that.
Why on earth would this be something "therapists do"? It doesn't even make sense and I have never seen it happen. But I have seen therapists teach clients how to set boundaries when that is something they want and would benefit their mental health.

Last edited by HighFlyingBird; 09-21-2017 at 12:32 PM..

Old 09-21-2017, 02:24 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Why on earth would this be something "therapists do"? It doesn't even make sense and I have never seen it happen. But I have seen therapists teach clients how to set boundaries when that is something they want and would benefit their mental health.

Sadly there are some counselors/therapists who now promote cutting off family as a solution rather than help clients develop healthy strategies to set boundaries, and help clients role play in making those boundaries clearly understood by all. Unfortunately that takes a lot more work by the therapist and the client, whereas cut off is the easy way out (barring there is extreme abuse involved of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting