Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 02:38 PM

772 posts, read 1,064,744 times

Advertisements

We brush every morning and night and the kids understand this and sometimes, if i forget to brush / facilitate the night brushing, I get told off by them

The problem is that my 4 year old refuses to spit out the toothpaste, he just swallows it. I know its not that he's not capable as he spits out the water when he rinses his mouth at the end of the brushing. I just dont understand why he fights this.. We've tried both carrot (bribery) and stick (take away a minor treat) to which he cries so much and tells me that I'm being mean and "making his feelings sad". We still buy kids fluoride toothpaste and I wonder if he's just enjoying the sweet taste??? Few weeks ago, i tried adult toothpaste to try to make him spit it out since he said it was yucky.. he cried and just refused to open his mouth. I had to force him.. Now i think its just a battle of wills.. and I'm wondering if i should just ignore it.

Other kids were fully spitting out by 3 years old.. no extra motivation required...Dentist said its no biggie.. but its bugging me

So parents, any ideas on how to motivate a 4 year old to do this.no behavior issues elsewhere just this one point.... or just let it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 02:55 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,769,090 times
Lol, I'm in the exact same spot as you. My eldest was spitting by 3 no problem. My current 4 year old is also refusing. We are also still on the kid's non-fluoride toothpaste, and our dentist has also said no biggie.

Sorry I can't help you, but know that you are not alone!!

Old 07-26-2016, 02:58 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,540,021 times
Yeah.
I don't care if I make my kids' feelings hurt.

Here's an idea. Since he knows how to rinse, just make him rinse each time instead of spitting.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Lol, I'm in the exact same spot as you. My eldest was spitting by 3 no problem. My current 4 year old is also refusing. We are also still on the kid's non-fluoride toothpaste, and our dentist has also said no biggie.

Sorry I can't help you, but know that you are not alone!!
Lol.. great to know that I'm not the only one with a contrary 4 year old....hahaha.. point of correction, we are using the kids fluoride toothpaste not the non-fluoride. Switched ~2.5y when the dentist told us to switch. I'm hoping we can even transition to just one type of toothpaste for everyone but even my 6 year olds say adult toothpaste is yucky😀 when did you switch to regular toothpaste for your older kids?

Old 07-26-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah.
I don't care if I make my kids' feelings hurt.

Here's an idea. Since he knows how to rinse, just make him rinse each time instead of spitting.
Lol.. he's a great kid but he can make the best sad face while telling you that you are "making his feelings sad"..😀 I don't care most times but he gets me sometimes..

That's a great idea, rinsing each time not only at the end.. seems really simple, why didn't I think of it.. Will try from tomorrow.. thanks a bunch!

Old 07-27-2016, 09:28 AM

2,458 posts, read 3,234,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
Other kids were fully spitting out by 3 years old.. no extra motivation required...Dentist said its no biggie.. but its bugging me
If the dentist doesn't see a problem, then why make it one?

Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
If the dentist doesn't see a problem, then why make it one?
lol.. because perhaps my contrary child is just like me.. I'm trying to invent problems because perhaps i dont have enough....hahahaha.. right now.. its more like.. why cant this sweet child just give me this.. hahaha

Old 07-27-2016, 09:48 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,540,021 times
Quote:
Lol.. he's a great kid but he can make the best sad face while telling you that you are "making his feelings sad"..😀 I don't care most times but he gets me sometimes..

That's a great idea, rinsing each time not only at the end.. seems really simple, why didn't I think of it.. Will try from tomorrow.. thanks a bunch!
I know the feeling.
My son hangs his head so low. And my daughter does that lower lip thing. And my dogs do that sad upward eye thing. It's terrible.

Good luck! I hope it works!

Old 07-27-2016, 10:17 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,262,286 times
Quote:
Lol.. great to know that I'm not the only one with a contrary 4 year old....hahaha.. point of correction, we are using the kids fluoride toothpaste not the non-fluoride. Switched ~2.5y when the dentist told us to switch.

I'm hoping we can even transition to just one type of toothpaste for everyone but even my 6 year olds say adult toothpaste is yucky😀 when did you switch to regular toothpaste for your older kids?
My children used the family toothpaste from the first time that we helped them brush their teeth. I don't know if that is common or unusual. (I believe that my city has fluoride in the water)

Old 07-27-2016, 10:20 AM

3,314 posts, read 3,057,855 times
I know kids of this age like to make things happen, so might it work at all to put a "target" in the sink, like a small dab of something innocuous and easily washed away that won't hurt the plumbing (like a few puffs of soap suds), and then show him that you can make it disappear by spitting on it, and challenge him to do the same? Or maybe you just do it while he's there and you are brushing your teeth, don't even offer to let him try it, and act like it's the most fun thing in the world?

(If this is a stupid idea, no problem, please just ignore it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting