Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 12:25 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,130,350 times

Advertisements

Brush your teeth with him & have a spitting "contest".

I know, it sounds ridiculous but you won't have to do it for very long. I actually had to do this with my son. He has Autism & sometimes the simplest of ADL's are a no-go.

Keep some paper towels handy for the mess & be dramatic about it. Be noisy & make him laugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 12:37 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,945,607 times
Do I dare say it? It's the old spit or swallow conundrum.

(Saw this pop up in the Active Treads box, and my mind is working in strange ways this morning. Take it as a joke. )

Old 07-28-2016, 02:12 PM

772 posts, read 1,062,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Brush your teeth with him & have a spitting "contest".

I know, it sounds ridiculous but you won't have to do it for very long. I actually had to do this with my son. He has Autism & sometimes the simplest of ADL's are a no-go.

Keep some paper towels handy for the mess & be dramatic about it. Be noisy & make him laugh!
This is great.. I'm just wondering why I didnt think of all these simple ideas.. Thanks!

Quote:
cupper3] Do I dare say it? It's the old spit or swallow conundrum.

(Saw this pop up in the Active Treads box, and my mind is working in strange ways this morning. Take it as a joke. )

Hahahaha.. i did take it as a joke.. no worries.. age old conundrum albeit wasted on a 4 year old.. lol

Old 07-28-2016, 02:38 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,582,315 times
Dangle his favorite toy over the garbage and say "Spit or else" haha

Old 07-28-2016, 03:54 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,270,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
The best way I found to get my 4 year old to stop doing something was to drop it. Quit bugging him about it. If he sees that his contrary behavior isn't garnering a reaction anymore, he loses all incentive to keep doing it.

Seriously - it worked on my son for a good couple of years.
ditto.

And it still works (mostly) on my 12 year old. The more I push, the more he pushes back. Sometimes I have to push but I don't have the energy to do it all the time so I pick the battles that are worth fighting. This would not be one of them.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:42 PM

769 posts, read 784,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Dangle his favorite toy over the garbage and say "Spit or else" haha
But then he makes a sad face and takes over control.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:02 PM

723 posts, read 1,007,962 times
Default tell them

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
We brush every morning and night and the kids understand this and sometimes, if i forget to brush / facilitate the night brushing, I get told off by them

The problem is that my 4 year old refuses to spit out the toothpaste, he just swallows it. I know its not that he's not capable as he spits out the water when he rinses his mouth at the end of the brushing. I just dont understand why he fights this.. We've tried both carrot (bribery) and stick (take away a minor treat) to which he cries so much and tells me that I'm being mean and "making his feelings sad". We still buy kids fluoride toothpaste and I wonder if he's just enjoying the sweet taste??? Few weeks ago, i tried adult toothpaste to try to make him spit it out since he said it was yucky.. he cried and just refused to open his mouth. I had to force him.. Now i think its just a battle of wills.. and I'm wondering if i should just ignore it.

Other kids were fully spitting out by 3 years old.. no extra motivation required...Dentist said its no biggie.. but its bugging me

So parents, any ideas on how to motivate a 4 year old to do this.no behavior issues elsewhere just this one point.... or just let it be?
that the toothpaste has acid in it, that after 5 minutes of brushing it will start to burn

Old 07-29-2016, 01:10 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,870,300 times
Quote:
Lol.. great to know that I'm not the only one with a contrary 4 year old....hahaha.. point of correction, we are using the kids fluoride toothpaste not the non-fluoride. Switched ~2.5y when the dentist told us to switch. I'm hoping we can even transition to just one type of toothpaste for everyone but even my 6 year olds say adult toothpaste is yucky😀 when did you switch to regular toothpaste for your older kids?
Never used kid's toothpaste, never needed to transition.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:39 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,065,895 times
?!? interesting!

I luckily never had this problem. It is a feature of my child that they are a very "rules bound" kind of personality. I merely had to show them the "fluoride warnings" on the tube, and say it was POISON. It was OK to brush your teeth with it, but you HAD TO spit it, or it would give you a tummyache, and if you "ate the whole tube" of toothpaste like a Gogurt, it would probably kill you.

Did I use fear? I guess I did. But it was only 1.5 minutes of instruction and I never had to worry about it since.

Don't worry we're on to new problems: did you *really* use the shampoo and conditioner? Since I don't watch you shower, now that "you're big".

Old 07-29-2016, 02:07 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,725,035 times
Quote:
We brush every morning and night and the kids understand this and sometimes, if i forget to brush / facilitate the night brushing, I get told off by them

The problem is that my 4 year old refuses to spit out the toothpaste, he just swallows it. I know its not that he's not capable as he spits out the water when he rinses his mouth at the end of the brushing. I just dont understand why he fights this.. We've tried both carrot (bribery) and stick (take away a minor treat) to which he cries so much and tells me that I'm being mean and "making his feelings sad". We still buy kids fluoride toothpaste and I wonder if he's just enjoying the sweet taste??? Few weeks ago, i tried adult toothpaste to try to make him spit it out since he said it was yucky.. he cried and just refused to open his mouth. I had to force him.. Now i think its just a battle of wills.. and I'm wondering if i should just ignore it.

Other kids were fully spitting out by 3 years old.. no extra motivation required...Dentist said its no biggie.. but its bugging me

So parents, any ideas on how to motivate a 4 year old to do this.no behavior issues elsewhere just this one point.... or just let it be?
make it a game
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting