Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 12:17 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,493,421 times

Advertisements

$600 dollars is pretty cheap once I read "admissions counselor at college". Looks like you will have ample opportunity to save that $600 and more in the near future.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 12:24 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,173,406 times
Did he ask, want to go on vacation, or did you drag him along?

If he was a willing party; make copies of your bills... be sure to redact your account numbers... give him the copies... and tell him you expect to be paid back ASAP.

When he complains, tell him you don't have money to waste like that. If he doesn't pay, tell him he is not welcome back at the house until he pays.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:00 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,752,495 times
For those of you saying "kick him out of the house," do you not understand that the kid is going to college? How exactly does that work then? He gets to live in the dorm instead? Or is the plan to stop him from going to college too?

Let's be realistic here.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:05 PM

24,014 posts, read 15,110,703 times
If these posts reflect family life in the USA, we are in trouble. Hell of a lot more than civil unions for gays ever could be.

This family needs talk therapy. How did it come to this? The op and the comments are all about the money. Pretty scary, IMO.
If the kid were the poster's son, would it matter? Would the comments be different?

Old 08-15-2016, 02:38 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,927,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Where is a 19 yo kid going to get the money to pay anybody back?
Why couldn't he get a job? I have 3 sons, ages 22, 20 and 17 and the older ones both had jobs when they were 19. In fact, they all had some source of income by the time they were 15-17.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:49 PM

22,613 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Quote:
If the kid were the poster's son, would it matter? Would the comments be different?
Nope... doesn't matter.
He lied, caused the vacation plans to be altered, and wasted good money.
He should get a job and pay back what he owes... whether he is a biological son or a step-son.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:28 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,864,183 times
Part of my discussion with the kid would be, " You lied to me this time, don't ever think of doing that again. It is going to take a lot of work on your part to regain the trust I used to have in you." At the end of the conversation, he would fully understand that I am dead serious.

One time, when my sons were about 18, my one son took something of his mother's without asking. So, the next day, while he was sleeping, I found his keys and drove his convertible to work that day. He called me and was furious, and I told him, "You thought nothing of taking that from mom without permission, so why shouldn't I do the same thing ?" He never did that again.

It's called tough love.

Don

Old 08-15-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nope... doesn't matter.
He lied, caused the vacation plans to be altered, and wasted good money.
He should get a job and pay back what he owes... whether he is a biological son or a step-son.
He lied.

Somebody else altered the vacation plan without checking with the college regarding the meeting. I have had 3 kids in undergraduate and graduate school. Nobody says come now or never. If my family were in another state and my kid said I have to be a meeting at school tomorrow I would pick up the phone and change the meeting.

The logistics do not favor the return of the money. The fact that no one questioned the meeting tells me that the kid has never been any trouble before or the parents don't even know who he is.

He is clearly a practiced liar. My question is still why? If they intend to continue in a relationship with him, they all need counseling. The money is the least of their problems. If it were my son, he'd be under constant watch for a year before I turned him out on the world. He'd either be grounded in my house, school and work only or self supporting.

Lessons most kids learned before the age of ten were lost on this kid.

We don't need anymore liars.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:55 PM

22,613 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Quote:
We don't need anymore liars.
Agreed.
And having him pay back what his lies cost the family might be a good deterrent. He would think twice, when it is of personal cost.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Part of my discussion with the kid would be, " You lied to me this time, don't ever think of doing that again. It is going to take a lot of work on your part to regain the trust I used to have in you." At the end of the conversation, he would fully understand that I am dead serious.

One time, when my sons were about 18, my one son took something of his mother's without asking. So, the next day, while he was sleeping, I found his keys and drove his convertible to work that day. He called me and was furious, and I told him, "You thought nothing of taking that from mom without permission, so why shouldn't I do the same thing ?" He never did that again.

It's called tough love.

Don
Your remedy made my day.

Bet he learned that lesson fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting