Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 12:24 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

Sounds like fun. Wish I could go back in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 12:42 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Moms used to not allow skimpy bathing suits on 14-year-olds. Who is paying for those suits? Unless the girls have jobs at that age, the parents are buying those. Not that more modest suits would make a difference, really. There also used to be moms who wouldn't allow 14-year-old girls hang out with or date 17-year-old boys. Oh well. Times change.
Babysitting. Go to Target and buy a $12 bikini. Don't tell your mother. Stash it in your bag. Change when you leave the house. Tale as old as time.

Still beside the point. Girls AND boys are each responsible for how they behave, regardless of what they're wearing.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:17 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Moms used to not allow skimpy bathing suits on 14-year-olds. Who is paying for those suits? Unless the girls have jobs at that age, the parents are buying those. Not that more modest suits would make a difference, really. There also used to be moms who wouldn't allow 14-year-old girls hang out with or date 17-year-old boys. Oh well. Times change.
On what planet? I am 50 years old and when I was 14 I wore a bikini to the beach as did most of my friends. After all-it is the beach where you wear bathing suits. I also wore a bikini when I went in the pool.

As far a 14 year old girls hanging out with 17 year old boys how would you prevent it? After all, they go to school together. They live in the same neighborhoods. They have been friends for a long time. Some of them know each other because they have older siblings. 17 year old boys are not monsters that should be kept away from civilized society.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I disagree with this. I think women should value their bodies and not expose it for public consumption.Moderator cut: delete Parity between male and female doesn't have to be direct.

Females should respect their bodies so they don't get exploited.
Really?! This is so ridiculous. How about teaching boys to respect women? maybe girls should go around harassing boys for not wearing a shirt, they are asking for it after all.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:24 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
In your great-grandmother's day, many 14-year-olds hadn't entered puberty yet. How did marriage in those cases work?
Yes I am aware that precocious puberty is a fairly recent occurence here.

My mother is 100% Greek (first generation American born, english is her second language) as were her mother & grandmother & in Greece it was common for girls to enter puberty at around ages 10-11.

That is the age range that I did, as well as 2 of my 4 daughters.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...tudy-Histogram

https://books.google.com/books?id=YE...kxBgoQ6AEIRDAI

Old 08-20-2016, 02:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,049 times
Default Except today it's all the males' fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just came back from the beach today. I saw multiple groups of teens, probably between 14-17 yr olds in different groups. Girls wearing really revealing bikinis and some making out with boys and definitely very sexually active judging by their physical actions. I know it's none of my business but as a parent myself and also I was once a teenager that I could understand this but I just thought while it's harmless. Not sure the parents of some of those teenage girls would approve of their daughter's behavior with boys at this age.
While I see nothing wrong with sexuality at that age (young adulthood), I believe that there is a time and place for all things and teens should be made aware of that. If those teenage girls' behavior is exposed, it will all be somehow become the fault of boys or men present. What the girls' skimpy bikinis will be the girl's right to express their freedom. Any male caught looking at them will be considered creepy (adult men) or disrespectful (boys).

Old 08-20-2016, 02:56 PM

Default Exhibit A of what I was talking about....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Then you shouldn't go to the beach where you can see women "exposing their bodies for public consumption," which is exactly what you were doing by looking at them. You were being a voyeur.

So stop going to the beach and looking at nearly naked teenagers. Problem solved.
This is the type of thing I was talking about in my previous post. This mindset that you shouldn't look at them regardless of the fact that you're out in public as they are and everybody is people-watching to some extent. Some people dress to catch the eye so to speak and some don't.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:03 PM

Default Do you know the definition of prying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
People should worry about them selves rather than trying to impose their moral beliefs onto others. Teenagers are going to make out and more with or with out permission, that's how it is and will always be. Whether or not their parents care doesn't matter because it's going to happen either way. Merely wearing provocative clothing which in this case is appropriate isn't going to lead to being exploited, there is more to it than that.

You can flaunt your stuff and still have high self esteem and self worth. Teenagers at that age do everything possible to grab the attention of people around them, its nothing new. It must be working because it caused you to make a thread about it. Most ppl that have low self worth and poor self esteem are usually introverted so rest assured these teens trying to get attention feel just fine about them selves even if they are being publicly consumed by prying eyes.
Oh now being at the beach watching people who are walking around half-dressed is prying? Merriam-Webster defines prying as: trying to find out about something that is a secret. Looking in on someone using the bathroom, without their knowledge or consent, is prying eyes. Being at the beach watching people who are walking around in public is not prying.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:04 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
This is the type of thing I was talking about in my previous post. This mindset that you shouldn't look at them regardless of the fact that you're out in public as they are and everybody is people-watching to some extent. Some people dress to catch the eye so to speak and some don't.
No, the point is that if you are going to the beach, you are going to see nearly naked people. You know, people, as in males and females. If someone has a problem with nearly naked people, that someone should avoid places where nearly naked people tend to congregate. However, the OP did not make a single comment about the boys being shirtless (which most if not all of them likely were) or their behavior with the girls in question, the OP has a problem with girls "flaunting" their bodies and their sexuality, but not the boys doing the exact same thing. Therefore, the OP should stay away from the beach and will no longer be subject to the horror of young women wearing bikinis.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:56 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Yes I am aware that precocious puberty is a fairly recent occurence here.

My mother is 100% Greek (first generation American born, english is her second language) as were her mother & grandmother & in Greece it was common for girls to enter puberty at around ages 10-11.
Wow, that Mediterranean diet.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting