Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 06:23 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Not even remotely relevant to the topic. Why wouldn't someone be able to remove photos from their own social media account? I'm assuming you don't have an answer or you would have just answered the first time.
If you followed normal reading comprehension, I was responding directly to the short comment Sharks With Lasers made. My comment was clear, it was succinct and completely in context with Sharks With Lasers.

There were no qualifiers or modifiers in Sharks With Lasers's comment, were there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 06:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
If you followed normal reading comprehension, I was responding directly to the short comment Sharks With Lasers made. My comment was clear, it was succinct and completely in context with Sharks With Lasers.

There were no qualifiers or modifiers in Sharks With Lasers's comment, were there?
Uummm.. you quoted me... my normal reading comprehension tells me that you were responding to my question. No need to go off topic to answer it.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:55 PM

Original post by Sharks with Lasers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Why do so many people think that reasonable wishes of young people shouldn't be respected simply because they're young?
My answer:

Quote:
Reasonable request should always be considered. There may be reasons that they can't be complied with. Age is not an issue.
THEN you pipe in:

Quote:
Such as?
And the rest of the stream:

Quote:
What you may consider to be reasonable, may be constrained by many different things.

Let's just take a simple example. Johnny comes to the Little League practice and forgot his glove, and asks to borrow one. A reasonable request, right? However, currently, everyone is using theirs, and no one has an extra. The reasonable request cannot be complied with.

Suzy wants to go see her friend on the other side of town, which means either one of her parents drive her, or her older sibling joins her on the bus over. The parents can't because the car is in for repairs, and the older sibling had made prior plans. Suzy's request was reasonable as witnessed by the way it was dealt with previously, however, there are constraints as to why her reasonable request can not be complied with this time.

I can go on and on.... there may be spatial reasons, fiscal reasons, safety reasons and timing reasons. I'm sure you can add your own.
Quote:
Not even remotely relevant to the topic. Why wouldn't someone be able to remove photos from their own social media account? I'm assuming you don't have an answer or you would have just answered the first time.
Quote:

Quote:
Uummm.. you quoted me... my normal reading comprehension tells me that you were responding to my question. No need to go off topic to answer it.
Try following along. I answered Sharks with Lasers, and then you asked me for examples. What part of comprehension is hard?

Old 09-16-2016, 07:02 PM

Wow. You went to a lot of trouble for that. Sorry you didn't understand what I was asking.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:04 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Original post by Sharks with Lasers:

My answer:

THEN you pipe in:

And the rest of the stream:

Try following along. I answered Sharks with Lasers, and then you asked me for examples. What part of comprehension is hard?
I still don't understand how it related to the OP. The young woman was making a reasonable request. And it wasnt granted. It had nothing to do with rides to friends houses. It was a reasonable request.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Wow. You went to a lot of trouble for that. Sorry you didn't understand what I was asking.
Sorry your question lacked clarity and context.

Do you prefer sugar or lemon in you tea?

Old 09-16-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Sorry your question lacked clarity and context.

Do you prefer sugar or lemon in you tea?
Obviously, the context is the topic of this thread. Should have been obvious anyway...

Old 09-16-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Obviously, the context is the topic of this thread. Should have been obvious anyway...
I take it you are not a tea drinker.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I can see it both ways, but I'm not feeling the daughter's anguish. Her attitude is her biggest problem. So what if her parents did take those pictures and have posted them? It's sort of like we all poop. My parents have pictures like that of me and I have them for my children. I won't post them on social media, but they are in the baby book because they were milestones or happy times. Future spouses and significant others will see them. If they are that particular, it might be a blessing for them to leave then.
So you say---so what if her parents post the pictures? But you have similar pictures and won't post them? Obviously you have a reason for not posting your kid taking a crap on the toilet, yes? That sounds like what the daughter is asking. She's not asking them to get rid of the pictures completely she's asking them to remove them from their social media.

And hey, people have sex, right? Almost every adult has sex. Why not post pictures of that too? You wouldn't mind, right?

Quote:
Reasonable request should always be considered. There may be reasons that they can't be complied with. Age is not an issue.
So instead of listing a bunch of nonsense and examples of when a reasonable request should/should not be considered, what are the reasons "that they can't comply with" in terms of removing photos of their daughter from their social media? Their photos. Their social media. And the reason they can't click delete is because...

...oh right they're just jerks. But I'm curious as to what the "spatial, fiscal, safety and timing" issues could be in THIS situation. This one, not hypothetical ones.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:11 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I'm like some of you, when I first saw the title I thought this was a ridiculous lawsuit........after all, who would sue their family ? However, after reading it, I think this was the only way she can get them to stop and to realize they were not just being funny, but were embarrassing her and hurting her. No parent should ever do that.

I am a father, and would go out of my way to NOT do something that my sons did not like done to them. I think the young lady is right and I think she will prevail in court. Just because you are the parent, it doesn't give you all rights over your children, they have rights too.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting