Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 02:35 PM

983 posts, read 738,532 times

Advertisements

So I work at a game store and one of the aspects of my job is when selling a game depending on the age of the person buying a game you can't sell it if it has a high rating.

Well, a few days ago a kid, probably 7 or 8 comes in saying he wants to buy Grand Theft Auto V. I tell him I'm sorry but he can't buy it unless he has his parents permission, he leaves and no more than 5 minutes later he comes back in with his mother and she looks really upset. She says in an angry tone "Why wouldn't you sell him the damn game??" I then proceed to tell her that it is M rated and only those 17 or above can buy it. She then says just get it, so I do but I show her the rating and all the content saying it has lots of blood, guts, a strip club etc. she says she doesn't care and buys it anyway.

The next day she comes back in the store, again looking very upset, only this time she looks at me and says "How could you sell something like this to a kid?!" I proceed to tell her I didn't sell it to her son I sold it to her and even told her what kind of content is in the game she then says "Well, you didn't explain it well enough!" then asks for an exchange, which we did.

I have had a number of other instances like this, when there is a big M for mature rating on the front and a description of the content on the box why get it for your 7-8 year old in the first place then suddenly change your mind and get upset at the clerk for it? Sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 02:48 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times
Because some people are stupid. And stupid people have kids too. If you're just now figuring that out, I'm so sorry. You're gonna be in for a rough one lol.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:25 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Because some people are stupid. And stupid people have kids too. If you're just now figuring that out, I'm so sorry. You're gonna be in for a rough one lol.
This in a nutshell, lol.

And it's also why I could never work jobs like that. I'd probably snap at some point and just go off on someone like that...lol

Old 10-18-2016, 04:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Ya. People are stupid and don't listen.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
I also have many stories of annoying entitled maniacal parents from my days working in the service industry serving and dealing with the public. In short - people suck. They're selfish and stupid and they don't listen. Even if they do listen and know full well what they're doing they will pretend like something that is clearly not your fault is your fault and try to make YOU look like the idiot. I've seen it all. It used to upset me when I was 16 and first started my job but by the time I left in my early 20s after college my coworkers and I would just laugh it off and make fun of people once we were done dealing with them. Of course single childless people can be this annoying too, it's not just parents.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Some people sure are looney. I don't let my kids play GTA. That's pretty cool that your store allowed an exchange of a used video game. Literally none of the big box stores or game chains around here would.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:29 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,300 times
People are stupid and they don't listen at all. All she heard was that you wouldn't sell a game to her precious little snowflake.

This is why I flat out refuse to work any customer service position.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:07 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
My 13-yr-old daughter loves videogaming but she always has to tell me the title she wants and then I go investigate to find out the content. I've told her GTA will NEVER be allowed in the house even if she buys it with her own money. It will remain shrinkwrapped and unavailable to play until she moves out.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:04 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I bought GTA for the 2 oldest boys when they were 16 & 18 & it had to stay in their room; not for access to the younger kids (this was the 1st edition about 13 years ago).

My just turned 15 year old twins have been bugging me to buy them tickets for rated R movies for about a year because "all our friends parents are doing it". Don't care; guess I'm not the "cool mom", it's not going to happen.

My biggest problem is my 12 year old son who has autism but has this knack for disabling firewalls & parental controls. You would be surprised at what can be accessed on line; I watched him worm around the school districts internet/intranet "blockades" in about 60 seconds last month. His teacher said "We don't know how he's doing it, nobody can figure it out".

Old 10-19-2016, 11:56 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
I had the opposite experience once. I worked in a movie theater when the movie "The Rocketeer" came out. A woman approached me asking if that movie would be appropriate for her 12 year old. I said, "Sure, it's rated PG, it's Disney, it should be fine."

She came out lady and started yelling at me about the violence in the movie.

The other employees had a good laugh at my expense. I learned my lesson and NEVER advised parents about what is (or is not) appropriate for their little cupcake again.

But what idiot is relying on a teenage usher to determine their movie choices for their child anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting