Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 10:46 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
Sometimes if it's really bad, and the kid is just being a brat....I give them the old stink eye while the paren't isnt looking. It usually shuts them up pretty quick.

LOL...I've done that at work a few times. I think I scared the kids but it worked.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:14 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
I seriously wonder where you live that you see that kind of behavior. I go to the grocery store here and have never seen the behavior you describe. I have seen a very small amount of it at Target, but not enough to worry me. I don't go out much to restaurants, but when we do go with the grandchildren we go to family friendly restaurants and still don't see many kids *running around.* Sometimes, we do here a baby cry or a toddler have a tantrum. Usually these are short-lived or the parents take the kids out of the restaurant.

Now, I will say that my dd lets her son run around in some restaurants, but with either her or her dh following him and making sure he does not get in the way of other diners or of the waitstaff. He's turning 3 and has a lot of energy and they go to places that have kids stuff to play with actually.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:27 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
If I see kids misbehaving it bugs me unless the parents are trying to correct them, even with limited success. Loud, innappropriate kids are annoying, but dismissive parents are worse than the kids themselves.

That is because kids are being kids. The parents should know better and be trying to teach their kids manners even if the lesson is not sticking in the moment.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:11 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattalk1 View Post
No discipline didn't make a very good workforce with some of the millennial. Pacified from childhood to teens to adulthood causes some brat situations at work....
Exactly

Old 12-25-2016, 03:13 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
No, but they don't need to be heard by everyone in the room. They do not have the right to ruin other people's time with behavior that is inappropriate for the occasion.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:47 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,868 times
There are a few breeders and their spawn who've been permanently banned from the house for this very reason. The house isn't a wrestling cage, obstacle course, scavenger hunt, jogging track or a circus ring. The fenced yard provides ample space to do pretty much as they wish without anybody yelling at them.

My solution to the few problem parents was to simply ask for their car keys. "Huh, why you need my keys?". "To make sure the doors open and the car starts since you'll be leaving soon".

The rest of the clan has no problems here, the kids understand and the door is always open.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:08 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
1. Stop letting your kids run around other people's houses.

2. If you are at a wedding, church service, or any other event that requires people paying attention.......and your kids are being noisy, crying, pouting.....whatever....Be a parent and take your kid out of the room

3. Same thing applies for restauran

End of rant
I am a parent of two very well behaved children. I am frequently told in public how well behaved my children are, in restaurants and the like. But I would like to say the following:

1. If you don't want kids at your house, then don't invite them. If you invited them, then it's your problem. Kids run around. That's what they do. It keeps them from getting fat, and helps build strong bones, muscles, and hearts. I care about my kids' health. I don't care about you, nor do I have to. You are your own mother's problem.

2. No. If children were invited, then children were invited. You don't have the right to "peace" in public or at someone else's event. Your poor wittle feelings are not the problem of other people. If you don't like the situation that you are in, then leave.

3. Same thing applies for restaurants. If you are an adult, then you are not the future, you are the past. I will do what is best for my children (which includes teaching them to behave well) because it is good for MY CHILDREN. Not for you. I don't care about whiney grown ups. You are not my responsibility. If you don't like it, tough.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:10 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I seriously wonder where you live that you see that kind of behavior. I go to the grocery store here and have never seen the behavior you describe. I have seen a very small amount of it at Target, but not enough to worry me. I don't go out much to restaurants, but when we do go with the grandchildren we go to family friendly restaurants and still don't see many kids *running around.* Sometimes, we do here a baby cry or a toddler have a tantrum. Usually these are short-lived or the parents take the kids out of the restaurant.

Now, I will say that my dd lets her son run around in some restaurants, but with either her or her dh following him and making sure he does not get in the way of other diners or of the waitstaff. He's turning 3 and has a lot of energy and they go to places that have kids stuff to play with actually.
I work in retail and have seen lots of horrid behavior. Between CA, AZ, and UT, it was exponentially worse in CA compared to the other two states.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:47 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
This is the problem with parents today. Oh they are "just being kids"

Hogwash!
I never said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I am a parent of two very well behaved children. I am frequently told in public how well behaved my children are, in restaurants and the like. But I would like to say the following:

1. If you don't want kids at your house, then don't invite them. If you invited them, then it's your problem. Kids run around. That's what they do. It keeps them from getting fat, and helps build strong bones, muscles, and hearts. I care about my kids' health. I don't care about you, nor do I have to. You are your own mother's problem.

2. No. If children were invited, then children were invited. You don't have the right to "peace" in public or at someone else's event. Your poor wittle feelings are not the problem of other people. If you don't like the situation that you are in, then leave.

3. Same thing applies for restaurants. If you are an adult, then you are not the future, you are the past. I will do what is best for my children (which includes teaching them to behave well) because it is good for MY CHILDREN. Not for you. I don't care about whiney grown ups. You are not my responsibility. If you don't like it, tough.
A-MEN to this!

Old 12-25-2016, 07:21 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I seriously wonder where you live that you see that kind of behavior. I go to the grocery store here and have never seen the behavior you describe. I have seen a very small amount of it at Target, but not enough to worry me.
I will hazard a guess that you and AZDesertBrat are in pretty solid middle class areas, mostly parents with a decent education and income level? Venture into lower income areas and spend some time, if you truly want to witness these things some of us experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I am a parent of two very well behaved children. I am frequently told in public how well behaved my children are, in restaurants and the like.
The fact that this even happens is pretty telling don't you think? How bad is it that as a society we now pull people aside to thank them or praise them for doing the things that we used to expect of parents?

Last edited by DubbleT; 12-25-2016 at 07:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting