Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 11:42 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't file charges over this. It's $1200. I'd make her pay for the ticket, ground her if she was still under my roof and have a serious conversation about her life and where it was heading. But I wouldn't want my child to have a felony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 11:42 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
A felony to your own child would be overkill unless it was the last straw and the only way they would ever turn their life around.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:47 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
A Michigan teenager allegedly stole personal information about her father and got a credit card in his name. The 18-year-old used the card to book a $1,200 flight to Germany on New Year’s Day to see her boyfriend. The teen’s father found out from his bank about the fraudulent charge on the morning of said flight at 9:15 a.m.

Dad calls the police, who then contact TSA, Bussell said in an interview.

Officials find out in time to pull the girl off the plane at the Cherry Capital Airport (apparently cherries are a big thing in this part of Michigan).

Father tells the police he wants to file charges.
Hell yes I'd file charges, have her ass thrown in jail for a couple days with no bailing her out.

Then have an attorney go visit her and if she signs an agreement to pay back the money within 6 months, she can come home and I will drop charges.

Then I would ride her sorry butt until she gets a job and pays it back.

I would NOT let this slide, that's not $100 measly bucks.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:49 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky91 View Post
No my mother would probably beat the crap out of me ( I am not recommending this ) but not call the police. Giving them a felony will more than likely have them end up in your basement than out of the house.
Some states they can't get financial aid. More employers won't hire you either.
The police were called to get the kid off the airplane before she went overseas. how else could a parent stop this? We couldn't barge on the concourse or plane. I can see they were desperate to keep the kid from taking off.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:49 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
No, of course not. Having a felony could ruin her life forever. There are other ways to deal with a child. Yes, she's still a child.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:04 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
I might not charge her but as soon as she got home she'd have 30 days to get out and she would have to return the money to me as well.

18 is no longer a child, she is legally an adult and if she thinks I'm being harsh THEN I would ask if she prefer I press charges and send her ass to jail.

And in the meantime in that 30 days I'd take all my valuables out of the home until she leaves and after she leaves I'd change the locks.

She'll probably go run off to be with the bf now but not my problem anymore.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:26 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Yeah, I gotta agree with the dad here.

I might not press charges but I'd ask the cops to keep her in jail a couple days, and then she'd have six months to pay me back. I'd ride her sorry butt until she did, too.

Little sh*t.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:56 PM

516 posts, read 1,005,481 times
Newer reports say that the daughter used an existing credit card to purchase the ticket--that is very different than the info in OP saying that she OPENED a new credit card using his information to purchase the ticket.

If my kid had the balls to commit identity theft on me, the situation has escalated to where I can no longer rehab her and yes I would press charges. I mean, morally, there are marbles loose in that head.

However, if she pulled a card laying around, I would still be pissed, but I would not press charges. It seems the father used the felony charge to get press coverage as leverage for the credit card company refund the purchase, hence why he waited to hear back from the bank. Tsk tsk, sounds like the father has priority issues as well.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
Newer reports say that the daughter used an existing credit card to purchase the ticket--that is very different than the info in OP saying that she OPENED a new credit card using his information to purchase the ticket.

If my kid had the balls to commit identity theft on me, the situation has escalated to where I can no longer rehab her and yes I would press charges. I mean, morally, there are marbles loose in that head.

However, if she pulled a card laying around, I would still be pissed, but I would not press charges. It seems the father used the felony charge to get press coverage as leverage for the credit card company refund the purchase, hence why he waited to hear back from the bank. Tsk tsk, sounds like the father has priority issues as well.
How is that "very different"? The kid used a cc in her father's name to buy a ticket to Germany, apparently w/o permission. How do you know the card was "laying around"? Unless she went to a brick and mortar store to buy the ticket, all she needed was the number, the expiration date and the security #, all of which she could have found.

I agree we don't have all the information, but we shouldn't speculate, either.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post

I see no difference in stealing money by using a cc which was not hers and opening a cc in her father's name. both stealing. I also don't see how refunding the charges would be an issue for the cc company. the charge was not made by the card holder and was stolen. If cc companies can refund purchases made by little kids or games by teens, how is this any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting