Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 08:06 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,017,895 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago our son casually mentioned that he has been chatting with a 40 year old woman online. I tried not to overreact. I asked him what they chat about. He said they both play the same online video game and initially, they just talked about that. Then it veered off into music, movies and books. Then she told him that she is in the midst of a difficult divorce. Sshe lives about 400 miles away.

We were really happy that he volunteered this information, which indicated he wasn't being secretive about it. We decided the best course was to keep the lines of communication open and just make sure he keeps us informed. We had a long talk about internet safety, cat fishing, etc.

We make him turn in his cellphone before bed every night, so he isn't up all hours of the night. My husband noticed that he does delete his text conversations with this woman.

So, yesterday we looked at the landline phone bill.

He has been talking to her on the phone in the middle of the night. Once, on a Monday night, he had a FIVE HOUR conversation with her. Twice, he had two hour conversations after midnight. This is all in the past two weeks.

We sat him down and confronted him with this. I did a search on Facebook of her phone number. She does have the name and age that she told him, but she still identifies as "married" on her FB profile. We have a difficult time believing that this "relationship" has not veered off into inappropriate territory. He swears up and down they are just friends. We are also concerned her husband is going to look at THEIR phone bill and try to find the person his wife has been chatting with in the middle of the night. I told my son that he needs to think hard about ending this. My husband said, "No thinking is required - END IT". I didn't want to be harsh, because usually that just causes teens to sneak around and do stuff behind your back.

My husband wants to call her just in case she isn't aware that he is only sixteen. I'm worried about losing our son's trust, but I see his point. I'm really not sure where to go from here.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,089,585 times
I would call the woman and have a frank talk with her. TODAY.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:12 AM

13,981 posts, read 26,000,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Agreed.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:27 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,380,741 times
Estranged husband could show up with a shotgun.

Estranged husband also could think it's your husband not your son that's the co-respondent in the case.

I can't really imagine any good outcome to this situation if permitted to continue.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:32 AM

838 posts, read 557,244 times
I'm a 40(ish) year old woman with a reasonable amount of good mental and emotional health and I do not see anything appropriate with this relationship.

I think it is easy for many people to view online friendships as more innocent and less risky. Because if this was a woman who lived down the street, would you had been so quick as to give the friendship the benefit of the doubt? Probably not.

I see this no different than I would a 16 year old girl chatting with a 40 year old man.

I 100% agree with your hubby that all contact must end and I would for sure be calling this woman. It's possible she doesn't know his true age so it's time to 1) enlighten her and 2) tell you you find it inappropriate.

The friendship may have started off casual enough but don't think for a second there aren't female predators out there. They know the art of grooming, too. Sometimes they are even better at it. The fact that your son found a roundabout (and sneaky) way of communicating with her and deletes text messages is a pretty good sign that there is something to hide.

You are good parents for giving him the benefit of the doubt and giving him some leeway. And he's 16 years old. He's still a kid with raging hormones. This woman should know better.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:23 PM

20,771 posts, read 20,032,722 times
Quote:
^^^ This.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:09 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,717,251 times
It's not okay for older women to prey on teen boys, any more than it's okay for older men to prey on teen girls. So this needs to stop. This woman should not be viewed as harmless.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:09 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,295,753 times
i would get on my sons screename,,,and say you(as the parent) will call 20/20 to catch a predator......female series

if she doesnt stop all contact right now..

to the mother of this boy....tell the father to have a long talk with him after this subsides..and why its wrong..
this is best handled by a father......... dont mother or smother him

Old 01-30-2017, 06:33 PM

2,954 posts, read 2,351,261 times
Quote:

This.

Let her know that if contact continues or if she mentions you got involved all the information is going straight to the police and she can explain herself to them.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:59 PM

787 posts, read 647,054 times
Send her my way, i'll take care of her needs, I am a good citizen like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting