Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 08:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
When I was in school eons ago we didn't pay for field trips, at least what I call field trips. Now we did have to pay for big trips like overnighters in high school. The senior class trip to DC was paid for by fundraisers. But the regular, go to the museum/historical site didn't cost, other than lunch and souvenirs.

When our kids were in school, (post 2000) it's been a mixed bag. There were trips that were free (paid by PTO) and trips with cost. Obviously the white water rafting trip cost as have the overnight trips. But what was free and what we had to pay for were kind of random. Trip to the mall in the city? Free, except for whatever the parents gave the kids to spend. Trip to historic site? $15 to pay for the bus.

However I don't buy the "PTO can't afford" it stories. Certainly our PTO has enough money to spend on some pretty questionable items when they want to. A PTO that has enough money to spend thousands on art work for the elementary school lobby ought to be able to pay a few bus drivers.
And guess who gets to decide where the money goes. Yes, the people who go to the PTO meetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 09:27 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
My (second) elementary school had parents volunteer as drivers to take the kids, with no mileage reimbursement. So that could be considered a form of "payment".

Old 02-02-2017, 09:29 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
We have always paid for field trips. The cost was usually between $20-$25 and that covered bus rental, insurance and admission (was mostly to museums).

Old 02-02-2017, 09:40 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Just got a notice from my school that there is a field trip coming up. Flyer tells us that information about cost will be distributed in the near future.

Cost?

We parents have to pay for the field trip? I thought that is what the PTSA fundraisers did. Or the community donated for. Or , or or. I didn't think they could charge parents for children to go on field trips?

(Age of my student is elementary school for reference.)
I always paid for my son's. And my parents paid for mine.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:40 PM

311 posts, read 451,442 times
Here is another reason for fees to exist. Years ago, I would do free tours of a not for profit facility. People usually enjoyed them. Condo leaders, women's clubs and teachers would call and ask for a tour. "Sure," I said, "Come on out, I would love to give a free tour." I would re-arrange my schedule, take time out from my business and meet the group at the appointed time. Except half the time they would not show up. I would call them and they would say, "Oh, it was free, I didn't think it would matter if I came or not." Meanwhile, half of my day is wasted.

People treat you the way they think you are worth. Now I charge only $2.00 per person (payable to the non profit) but everybody shows up when they say they will.

One teacher said, "I think it is outrageous that you charge for a non profit!" I asked if she was being paid for that day and why shouldn't I be paid as well?

Old 02-02-2017, 09:50 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
Yes, we pay for field trips. They're never very expensive or overpriced...Now that I'm thinking about it, a small portion might be subsidized by the school district.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:07 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
We have to pay for all field trips here, plus "in school field trips," for example, where the zoo brings animals to the school, or something. It would be nice if they were part of the school budget, but it never, ever occurred to me that the "community" would donate for such things.

When we pay online, there is always an option to select if your child is on free or reduced lunch, meaning you meet the income threshold for that. In that case, you don't have to pay for your child to go.
Agh! I'm pretty generous with our schools, and have very few complaints, but I have to admit...those "in-house field trips" that cost just as much as REAL FIELD TRIPS drive me NUTS!!! I mean, you're not fooling anybody by calling them "field trips" The kids know they didn't get on a bus, go somewhere away from school, eat a sack lunch...

The content is high quality and interesting, but let's call them "workshops" or "presentations" or "hands on learning day" instead of "in-house field trip" And while we're at it, let's stop charging as much for these "workshops" as a REAL field trip cost!

Old 02-02-2017, 10:09 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I'm 57, and a lot of field trips were free, but the coolest ones weren't. We had to pay to see the Symphony play Peter and the Wolf for a bunch of schools. Actually we had a series of symphony field trips, all paid.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:08 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Depended on the nature/cost of the trip. Trip to the local planetarium or state capitol was usually free. More significant ones like trips to D.C., NYC, ski trips, etc were usually pretty pricey with little subsidy from the school beyond a group discount but were tied to optional clubs.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting