Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:25 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Boys have a lot on their shoulders. They are expected to provide for his wife and family. They frequently have to work more than one job to provide for his family. The bar is just higher. Women can CHOOSE to be a stay at home mom. Men aren't in that kind of a position to CHOOSE much of anything but working. The equality issue is mainly for women. I know some men whose wives work and these guys stay at home with the kids. It's never for long though. I believe these guys feel strange when their buddies come over for a beer and he's getting dinner ready for his wife and kids.
I do feel that girls are coddled more and it continues sometimes until the woman is in her 30's. Parents, you aren't helping your daughters by letting them think they are princesses. Most princesses have a rude awakening and when reality hits them its like a sledge hammer.
Be patient with your boys. They have long road ahead of them.

It isn't the 50's anymore! Very few women these days can CHOOSE to stay home no matter what income/social bracket they are in. And very few men can "provide for the wife and family" on their income alone. As far as girls be coddled, it's mostly done by fathers who are unrealistic. Most mothers these days know from their own experience that one way or another their daughters will have to work.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:53 PM

189 posts, read 176,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Women work because they want to in this day and age.
Uh no. I work because I have to make enough money to fund my own retirement, pay off my student loans, pay rent which is 1/2 of my salary (1/4 of combined mine and husband's salaries), pay for food, transport, save for a house downpayment so I don't have to rent in retirement, and save for any future kids I might have. The alternative is giving up any of the above, getting on welfare, becoming homeless, getting lucky with a new rich guy, and hoping he doesn't turn my life into misery because I would be utterly dependent on him for the rest of my life...

Old 02-06-2017, 02:07 PM

371 posts, read 526,764 times
girls are definitely treated easier than boys

if you are a boy, you are supposed to accept unfairness and I struggled with that growing up.

One time in middle school, a girl and I performed the same action (spitting on school grounds), but only I got disciplined which is retarded.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:36 PM

787 posts, read 644,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
girls are definitely treated easier than boys

if you are a boy, you are supposed to accept unfairness and I struggled with that growing up.

One time in middle school, a girl and I performed the same action (spitting on school grounds), but only I got disciplined which is retarded.
Well said.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Boys have a lot on their shoulders. They are expected to provide for his wife and family. They frequently have to work more than one job to provide for his family. The bar is just higher. Women can CHOOSE to be a stay at home mom. Men aren't in that kind of a position to CHOOSE much of anything but working. The equality issue is mainly for women. I know some men whose wives work and these guys stay at home with the kids. It's never for long though. I believe these guys feel strange when their buddies come over for a beer and he's getting dinner ready for his wife and kids.
You know, I was all set to disagree with you, but you are partially correct. I agree that males are expected to pursue a career to a degree that females may not be (although this varies widely by cultural and socioeconomic factors); it's quite unusual to here a young man state that he'd like to be a homemaker when he grows up. So, yes, I do concede that, to a certain degree, pursuing a career can be more choice-driven for women than it is for men.

BUT, all of that changes once children come into the picture, especially if a woman leaves the workforce for even a short period of time. At that point, her "choice" to work is largely dictated by how much her spouse is willing and able to split the household and kid duty, as well as childcare costs for the 80+ weekdays/year they aren't in school. At that point, it doesn't matter if she wants to work if she can't find a job with flexible hours that don't conflict with her husband's schedule and the kids' school schedule.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:52 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
or the other way around?

Do girls, as children, struggle more than boys do, or are they coddled and protected more by adults?
Absolutely,
I have 3 boys and I'm constantly preparing them for everything they are going to blamed for
While everybody says that the girl "didn't do anything"

Old 02-06-2017, 03:02 PM

787 posts, read 644,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
You know, I was all set to disagree with you, but you are partially correct. I agree that males are expected to pursue a career to a degree that females may not be (although this varies widely by cultural and socioeconomic factors); it's quite unusual to here a young man state that he'd like to be a homemaker when he grows up. So, yes, I do concede that, to a certain degree, pursuing a career can be more choice-driven for women than it is for men.

BUT, all of that changes once children come into the picture, especially if a woman leaves the workforce for even a short period of time. At that point, her "choice" to work is largely dictated by how much her spouse is willing and able to split the household and kid duty, as well as childcare costs for the 80+ weekdays/year they aren't in school. At that point, it doesn't matter if she wants to work if she can't find a job with flexible hours that don't conflict with her husband's schedule and the kids' school schedule.
But she clearly made the concious decision to have children, and an intelligent and educated couple will discuss the repercussions, and changes in daily life that this will have on the entire family, she isn't going to trip and fall one day into pregnancy. Because of this, your whole point around "it doesn't matter if she wants to work" is moot, because if this was so paramount at the time, they wouldn't have had children and would hold off, OR, she would be ok with the changes in her life as a result, if they could not wait to have children for whatever reason.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
It depends on the kid and their environment.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
But she clearly made the concious decision to have children, and an intelligent and educated couple will discuss the repercussions, and changes in daily life that this will have on the entire family, she isn't going to trip and fall one day into pregnancy. Because of this, your whole point around "it doesn't matter if she wants to work" is moot, because if this was so paramount at the time, they wouldn't have had children and would hold off, OR, she would be ok with the changes in her life as a result, if they could not wait to have children for whatever reason.
But typically THEY decide to have children, and work out the logistics of who will stay home. Plus, no matter how educated or prepared a couple is (or believes they are), there really is no way to fully anticipate just how much life will change when the children are actually here, let alone how it will impact their careers.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 02-06-2017 at 03:44 PM..

Old 02-06-2017, 04:26 PM

I don't know how we can even compare who has it harder, when the challenges are so different even amongst the same gender. My daughter faces a conpletely different set of obstacles than my sons, but my sons also faces a different set of obstacles than each other. I can't say anyone of them has it harder than the others, just different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting