Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 11:33 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

I think that older parents often times have more to offer to a child. They spend more time and effort than a 20 year old who still explores, parties and has no security yet.

Mental and financial stability makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 11:58 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think that older parents often times have more to offer to a child. They spend more time and effort than a 20 year old who still explores, parties and has no security yet.
I think there's something to that. I"m the youngest of four kids, my oldest sibling is 15 years older than I am. Dad was 26 when she was born and 41 when I was born. My sister has a completely different relationship with my parents than I do. When she was 10 there was a younger brother and a baby on the way, dad traveled all the time and was stressed out. My dad was close to retirement when I was 10, and he had a lot more time to spend with me and was a lot calmer and happier.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:24 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
"40something is way too old to have kids!"

.... said the 20 or 30something with 6 figure school debt, mortgage under water, credit cards maxed, partner getting neked with people from work, and still facing 6 figures (or more!) of costs to get their offspring launched into successful adulthood.

Then there are the other ones, who have all the previously mentioned life challenges, but whose attitudes about kids go something like "I birthed ye, and I'll feed and house ye until yer 18, but other than that, inta thuh deep end wid ya!"

Old 02-10-2017, 12:36 PM

454 posts, read 311,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
In the news is George Clooney who turns 56 in a few months is having twins (his first kids) with his wife Amal Clooney who just turned 39. What do you think of this? As someone who is 42 and thought I was way too old to have kids now it gives me some hope that more men are now waiting. I would like to wait a couple more years to have kids but have always got the looks of disdain as people say "oh my that is so old to have kids!!!"

George and Amal Clooney 'expecting twins', Matt Damon confirms - BBC News

So, is men having kids in their late 40s and mid 50s becoming more mainstream now?
Not a big fan of it. Even if those kids are well-provided for financially and even if they are born healthy (higher chance of birth defects), they won't have their parents around for so much of their adult lives relatively-speaking. There's so much value in having the love and council of your parents and the older I get the more I value them. I guess in this instance Amal is 39 so that's not tooooo old. I think when women get into their 40s it's getting dicey.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:42 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
I'm more concerned for women having kids in their late 40's and 50's. (Janet Jackson comes to mind). It's so much riskier for the mother's health.

For George and Amal, more power to them!

Old 02-10-2017, 12:46 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I'm more concerned for women having kids in their late 40's and 50's. (Janet Jackson comes to mind). It's so much riskier for the mother's health.

For George and Amal, more power to them!
It's with donor eggs so risk is minimized. They are not the biological moms. It's extremely unlikely for a woman to have kids past 40 with her own eggs. Some women are extremely fertile and will conceive at 40 but it's the minority, the conception rate at 40 is something like less than 3%... virtually zero. If a woman had her eggs frozen then I think it's a 30% chance that the thawed eggs are viable but it's more of a chance although the freezing process is pricey and god know how much it costs to thaw it out as well.

In the case of Amal, she may have done IVF we do not know. Usually twins and her advanced age indicates IVF.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
It's with donor eggs so risk is minimized. They are not the biological moms. It's extremely unlikely for a woman to have kids past 40 with her own eggs. Some women are extremely fertile and will conceive at 40 but it's the minority, the conception rate at 40 is something like less than 3%... virtually zero. If a woman had her eggs frozen then I think it's a 30% chance that the thawed eggs are viable but it's more of a chance although the freezing process is pricey and god know how much it costs to thaw it out as well.

In the case of Amal, she may have done IVF we do not know. Usually twins and her advanced age indicates IVF.
She's a year older than I was when I conceived our first, and the same age I was when I conceived our second. I didn't require any medical intervention to get pregnant either time, IVF or otherwise, and in both instances, got pregnant within three months of discontinuing contraception. No problems. No donor eggs, no fertility treatments, no nothing.

As opposed to both my sisters in law, one of whom required IVF for a pregnancy in her late twenties and again in her early thirties, and the other who required it at 32. Both struggled through failed rounds and miscarriages, and both married and started family planning a decade younger than I did. Luck of the draw.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:03 PM

Also, your quoted conception rate statistic is not accurate. Check your sources...there are many published and replicated studies available on this that will get you up to speed.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:06 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
She's a year older than I was when I conceived our first, and the same age I was when I conceived our second. I didn't require any medical intervention to get pregnant either time, IVF or otherwise, and in both instances, got pregnant within three months of discontinuing contraception. No problems. No donor eggs, no fertility treatments, no nothing.
I don't think I knew that you were cooking baby #2, Tabula. Mazel Tov!

Old 02-10-2017, 01:08 PM

Muchas gracias, due in four and a half months! They'll be 21 months apart, which is right around the age spread we'd hoped for. Had level 2 ultrasound a couple of weeks ago, looking good and currently kicking up a storm. Knock on wood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting