Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:56 AM

41 posts, read 22,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The bolded is strange to me. I have a husband who is a great dad, and a caring person. He would never describe someone else's kids the way you have here.
Sure. We're two separate people. I see your point. But I don't understand why it's taboo or unacceptable to have close family friends--both of whom appreciate each other's kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 08:57 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cx5122 View Post
Because that would be immigration fraud. We have to show that we're exercising parental authority that passes the investigations.
I don't see how this would pass the sniff test in any case. What plausible reason would her parents give to want to give a 16 yer old up, other than immigration status?

Old 05-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
cx, I applaud you. This is how humans are supposed to treat each other, IMHO. When someone you care deeply about is about to be deported, through no fault or act of their own, their loved ones stand up and do something. It would be an awful world if everyone just drew their curtains closed and went about their business while their friends were dragged off. We've all seen THAT happen.

So, the parents are also here illegally? But the two youngest are here legally because they were born here?

Old 05-06-2017, 09:01 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't see how this would pass the sniff test in any case. What plausible reason would her parents give to want to give a 16 yer old up, other than immigration status?
Exactly. It's just as fraudulent as a marriage for the sole reason of providing legal status.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Exactly. It's just as fraudulent as a marriage for the sole reason of providing legal status.
You're changing your argument at each hole you see.

I work in this, it happens all the time. This isn't purely for immigration benefits (their family's financial and other difficulties) and meets all laws. I know immigration judges very well, and this is completely legal.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I have a friend who teaches an ELL class for adults. She's been asked if she would consider caring for minor children (who were born here) if the parents were deported.

I don't think US citizens realize the constant fear undocumented people live in, and the desperate measures they will go through to remain in the US.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
cx, I applaud you. This is how humans are supposed to treat each other, IMHO. When someone you care deeply about is about to be deported, through no fault or act of their own, their loved ones stand up and do something. It would be an awful world if everyone just drew their curtains closed and went about their business while their friends were dragged off. We've all seen THAT happen.

So, the parents are also here illegally? But the two youngest are here legally because they were born here?
The problem is that everyone has an opinion until it happens to someone they care about. Very few people in this country know the difficulties of these families and people. Not enough people do what they can. And, apparently, when they do, they're accused of being creepy. Go figure.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:18 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cx5122 View Post
You're changing your argument at each hole you see.

I work in this, it happens all the time. This isn't purely for immigration benefits (their family's financial and other difficulties) and meets all laws. I know immigration judges very well, and this is completely legal.
How am I changing my argument? I'm addresssing things as you provide information.

Re the bolded:

If it's "completely legal" then why does it need to pass any kind of sniff test?

Answer: to make it appear to be more than just an immigration thing. Because that would be.....?

I'm not unsympathetic to the situation if it's true and if it's accurately represented. However, I'm dubious based on the gushing in the OP as well as the statements regarding how happy this would make him. Not anything about the difficulties (other than the pesky, uncooperative wife) or the emotions and feelings of the girl or her siblings or the financial implications for his own family.

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-06-2017 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-06-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
How am I changing my argument? I'm addresssing things as you provide information.

Re the bolded:

If it's "completely legal" hen why does it need to pass any kind of sniff test?

Answer: to make it appear to be more than just an immigration thing. Because that would be.....?
You're making a circular argument. It has to pass a sniff test because it needs to be done legally. To be done legally, we need to actually adopt her and treat her as our child for 2 years--that involves going to our zoned schools and such.

The fact that we otherwise wouldn't be doing this but for immigration benefits is not illegal as the law is written. Unlike other portions, like entering the country on an NIV with intent to immigrate (which is very illegal), this provision has no intent restrictions. It just has to be a real adoption.

You can disagree, but that's what the law is.

Earlier you suggested that she didn't need to live with us in order to adopt her and apply for benefits. That's completely false, because it would be a fake adoption. This is real.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:

I'm not unsympathetic to the situation if it's true and if it's accurately represented. However, I'm dubious based on the gushing in the OP as well as the statements regarding how happy this would make him. Not anything about the difficulties (other than the pesky, uncooperative wife) or the emotions and feelings of the girl or her siblings or the financial implications for his own family.
Fair point strictly from what is posted, but I cannot go through all of the different people and factors involved in this setting. We're lucky to be very financially secure, but the opinions/feelings/implications of those involved do matter--hence my post here.

I simply believe this isn't as big of a burden or deal as my wife might think, just from the obvious undertones of the word "adoption" in general. I could be wrong, which is why I'm asking.

If I didn't care and am just being selfish about it, I wouldn't be posting here at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting