Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:02 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

With my first child I didn't leave him home alone until he was about 10(5th grade). I would leave him home alone, but not with the other kids. There weren't that many opportunities for him to be home alone since he was the oldest. I was ok with him being alone for a short period (under an hour) if I was someplace local.

My second child was sick and he was around 9 years old (4th grade). I had been home with him all day. He had some viral infection and was not seriously ill but he was tired and didn't want to go anywhere. I had to go get my youngest child from school, about 2 miles away. He just wanted to rest and BEGGED me to leave him home alone. He promised up and down he would just lay on the couch, watch tv, not answer the door, and wait for me to get home. I let him stay home. From then on I left him alone for very short periods of time if I was local.

When my youngest child was 10 (5th grade) I had about a 30-60 minute gap between when he got home and when I got home. He really wanted to go home right after school so he could do his homework. He said it was distracting to do homework at aftercare. He PROMISED he would walk straight home from the bus, take a snack from the pantry, let the dog out, and do his homework. We agreed to try it with the understanding that if it didn't work out we would put him in aftercare. He was fine and we kept up the arrangement for the whole school year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 08:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
My daughter had a fifth grad graduation. By your definition that is a "coming of age" celebration. They do not have a 8th grade graduation.

If you actually read your links, many states do not have a minimum age allowed. Kids start to think like adults when they are taught to think and be responsible like adults. They are taught by having real life conversations and given responsibility.

I work in the LEO community, so my children are a little more aware than most children.
I see.

I did read the link(s), and I have had these discussions before. I know that most states have no laws. In fact, for my state, Colorado, they have 12*. However, I have read in more Colorado-specific sites that most judges use 10 as the age under which it is not OK to leave a child home alone. By my definition, a 5th grade graduation is not a "coming of age" celebration, nor is a pre-school or kindergarten "graduation". In fact, my kids' elementary school has 5th grade continuation parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Wow!

I definitely remember walking to school by myself at 7. By the time I was 10 I would go everywhere within our little neighborhood (not crossing any major streets) on my bike. I definitely remember being at my grandmother's apartment and riding my bike around and around the block it was on, and that was with training wheels so I couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 (She was inside, not outside watching me.) This was in a major city, not out in the country or some small town.

What's this about kids that are afraid to be left alone at 10?

I really think some of you ought to reconsider how tightly you keep your children attached to your apron strings. I know people whose 16 and 17 year olds can't drive, don't want to learn how, and are afraid to do so. Really?
Are you really equating walking to school and playing outside with being left home alone with no adult supervision, not even an adult inside to go to if there was a problem?

Old 06-27-2017, 08:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
What age did I leave my kids alone and what is the proper age might be 2 different things, plus we all have our own ideas. I am not sure what age I left mine, but I am guessing about 8 or 9. I would leave our oldest daughter and take the little ones unless they were playing at friend's homes. Right now, our granddaughter is faced with a choice. Her older daughter is 10 1/2 and will be entering middle school. She has been left alone for up to an hour in the past but now wants to be able to come home from school and stay by herself until her parents get home from work. I think she will get out of school and on the bus about 3pm. Her parents get home anywhere from 5pm to 6pm. Her mom is a nurse practitioner and works long shifts sometimes. Other times she has days off. Hubby gets home about 6pm. They haven't decided for sure if they will let her stay alone which will be a couple hours a day or not. She is mature, but also still only 10. By the time my kids were 11 or 12 they were baby sitting kids in the neighborhoods.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:25 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Am more than happy to leave my 6 year old home alone for twenty minutes or so now, building up towards August when she'll have at least two days a week when she'll be home alone for an hour or two (depending on how long it takes her to walk home from preschool) or possibly alone every morning for about an hour (depends on whether I'll be carrying on with my second job or not though I'm leaning towards no because I'd rather see her off in the mornings to be sure she leaves on time)

I've discussed this plan with her social worker who has no problem with it before anyone worries it might be neglectful or illegal - its not in Finland, where children are expected to be responsible and independent from a younger age than in many other countries.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:26 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I was walking to the school alone, staying home and running around with a home key on a shoelace around my neck since I was 6 year old girl. Was totally happy, and never thought it is something abnormal.

That's not normal. Not now anyway!

Old 06-27-2017, 08:38 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
In response to your title, I must have been about 40.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:42 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
In response to your title, I must have been about 40.
Good catch! I was 33 when I started allowing my oldest to stay home alone for a short period of time.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:50 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Of course, laws are frequently interpreted insanely, but that's meant to address situations where a kid is left alone for days or weeks, not for half an hour. Unless the kid burns the house down, they are not going to starve to death, die of dehydration, etc., in an hour or two.
Understood and I believe I stated that; however, some people here are saying they would or have been left alone at 6 or 7. If something was to happen to them during those 5-20 miniutes of the parents being gone, Im sure the law would use that against them. Also a lot of us are saying as kids we were left alone at a young age. Myself included. I walked a mile to school alone at 5. I'm in my 40's. It's a different day and age.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:14 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, it is. But that's how kids think. The older one was actually almost 11. People sometimes hire 11 year olds for babysitters. Think about that.

Always some excuse. The same thing could happen in your "very upper class safe area". Kids aren't trained LEOs. Kids do not think like adults, period. Almost every society, primitive to sophisticated, has some sort of "coming of age" ceremony at around 13. Here in the US, think 8th grade graduation, confirmation at church, Bar Mitzvah, Bat Mitzvah, etc. That's the age when kids start to think like adults. The process isn't finished for a long time.

Ages when kids can legally be left alone by state:
https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/homealone.pdf
Latchkey Kids Legal Age Limits Listed By State
Your link says 49 of the 50 states allows latchkey kids before 8th grade graduation - - maybe 43 out of 50 if you count the six "unknown" states.

Good numbers of elementary school students walk to my son's elementary school without adult supervision (could be anywhere up to probably 8 blocks away). Now oftentimes they are in groups and I'm guessing they are the 4th and 5th graders - - but they are also dealing with traffic, a danger obviously not found in the home.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:41 AM

564 posts, read 449,067 times
If you wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the child longer than five minutes, he's probably too young. Otoh, he might be ready; you might not be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting