Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:19 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Are you familiar with 12 year old boys with ADHD? I've worked with hundreds of them. If i could count up the number of times he's left a jacket or bookbag somewhere other than where it needed to be, I'd be a rich woman. If I could count up the amount of times I've had to remind him (sometimes more than once) to clean his room, brush his teeth, comb his hair (yes, even at age 12), I'd also be a rich woman. It is a disorder. Studies indicate that children with ADHD are approximately three years behind same age peers in terms of frontal lobe development. The frontal lobe is the part of the brain that governs executive functioning, planning, problem-solving, etc... He needs reminders. Period. He probably remembered after breakfast, "Oops, I forgot my pill" and then someone started talking to him and whoosh, there goes that thought out that window and he's onto something else. So, no, he did not remember to ask. Plus the counselor that he started out with is not the one he wound up with, just to add to the confusion.

Here's a little light reading for you for educate you on the nature of ADHD:

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and the frontal lobe syndrome - ScienceDirect

Brain development and ADHD - ScienceDirect

http://psycnet.apa.org/record/1997-02112-004

Preliminary evidence of altered gray and white matter microstructural development in the frontal lobe of adolescents with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: A diffusional kurtosis imaging study - Helpern - 2010 - Journal of Magnetic Resonance

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...65640709336889

Good lin... Oh, look, a squirrel!!

(My kiddo has ADHD, and yes, you are correct, even though he could remember to take his pills at home, all the distractions of a new camp environment like that? It would take far more coaching and practice than could happen in a week away to make it happen)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 11:26 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Good lin... Oh, look, a squirrel!!

(My kiddo has ADHD, and yes, you are correct, even though he could remember to take his pills at home, all the distractions of a new camp environment like that? It would take far more coaching and practice than could happen in a week away to make it happen)
Yes, absolutely. My child is a very bright, inquisitive, sociable fun little kid, but forgetfulness is his primary issue. It just is. We have a good system at home and it works, but I can't control what happens when I'm not there. Literally every other camp he has ever attended has had no problem getting his meds to him. It's just perplexing.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:45 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Are you familiar with 12 year old boys with ADHD? I've worked with hundreds of them. If i could count up the number of times he's left a jacket or bookbag somewhere other than where it needed to be, I'd be a rich woman. If I could count up the amount of times I've had to remind him (sometimes more than once) to clean his room, brush his teeth, comb his hair (yes, even at age 12), I'd also be a rich woman. It is a disorder. Studies indicate that children with ADHD are approximately three years behind same age peers in terms of frontal lobe development. The frontal lobe is the part of the brain that governs executive functioning, planning, problem-solving, etc... He needs reminders. Period. He probably remembered after breakfast, "Oops, I forgot my pill" and then someone started talking to him and whoosh, there goes that thought out that window and he's onto something else. So, no, he did not remember to ask. Plus the counselor that he started out with is not the one he wound up with, just to add to the confusion.

Here's a little light reading for you for educate you on the nature of ADHD:

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and the frontal lobe syndrome - ScienceDirect

Brain development and ADHD - ScienceDirect

http://psycnet.apa.org/record/1997-02112-004

Preliminary evidence of altered gray and white matter microstructural development in the frontal lobe of adolescents with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: A diffusional kurtosis imaging study - Helpern - 2010 - Journal of Magnetic Resonance

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...65640709336889
No my son is active, lots of health issues but ADHD is not one of his diagnoses.

But I have ADD and never had parents that oversaw my daily activities. They were busy career people and I was left to my own devices most of the time. Somehow I still managed to learn to be a responsible adult that remembers to eat, take medicines and brush my teeth. If you stop being a helicopter parent, he will learn to take care of his needs.

My kids learned at a very young age that they needed to accept some personal responsibility. At the age of 2/3 my daughter would have to walk to a neighbors for food when she was on visitation with my ex husband. He had no food in his house.

My son has a screw ball for a father, that thinks all sons health issues are fake, so son has to tend to his own needs when he is with his father. He is 6. He manages. I could drive myself crazy worrying, or I could do what I did, and taught him how to handle little tasks when he is away from me.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. My child is a very bright, inquisitive, sociable fun little kid, but forgetfulness is his primary issue. It just is. We have a good system at home and it works, but I can't control what happens when I'm not there. Literally every other camp he has ever attended has had no problem getting his meds to him. It's just perplexing.
The problem is the WE and not HE... He needs to get a good system to remember his medications. Start it at home and he will handle it better when he is away.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
No my son is active, lots of health issues but ADHD is not one of his diagnoses.

But I have ADD and never had parents that oversaw my daily activities. They were busy career people and I was left to my own devices most of the time. Somehow I still managed to learn to be a responsible adult that remembers to eat, take medicines and brush my teeth. If you stop being a helicopter parent, he will learn to take care of his needs.
So, let me get this straight, dropping him off at sleepover camp and entrusting camp staff to administer the meds makes me a helicopter parent somehow?

You lost me with the logic there. I thought you were criticizing me for "not teaching him how to be responsible" and now you're advising that I leave him "to his own devices."

Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
He probably remembered after breakfast, "Oops, I forgot my pill" and then someone started talking to him and whoosh, there goes that thought out that window and he's onto something else. So, no, he did not remember to ask.
And yet you sent him to this camp knowing they would only give him his medicine bag, and he would likely not remember what it is for.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
And yet you sent him to this camp knowing they would only give him his medicine bag, and he would likely not remember what it is for.
They only gave him the bag 2 days out of 6. That's the whole point. If someone had given him the bag, he would have taken the pill.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
If the medications were a matter of life or death, I likely would not send my child to that camp.
Exactly. There is a certain level of personal responsibility required to parent, and this "attorney" has chosen to overlook that.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
They only gave him the bag 2 days out of 6. That's the whole point. If someone had given him the bag, he would have taken the pill.
I'm sorry, but it is still on you to know the limits of your child and not force his requirements on others. Most of us that parent a special needs child are aware of this.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
So, let me get this straight, dropping him off at sleepover camp and entrusting camp staff to administer the meds makes me a helicopter parent somehow?

You lost me with the logic there. I thought you were criticizing me for "not teaching him how to be responsible" and now you're advising that I leave him "to his own devices."
Since you refuse to accept that your child should maintain some personal responsibility, we are going to choose to disagree...

My oldest (13) was given the following chores today while she is home alone, 4 loads of laundry (wash, dry, fold & put away), Make chicken for dinner, cut up and prepare vegetables and potatoes. Dinner will be done when I get home. I put responsibility on my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting