Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 07:47 PM

919 posts, read 1,691,237 times

Advertisements

I'm sure mods will move if this is misplaced, but I find that the issue comes mostly with younger applicants.

Ok, so today and tomorrow my job is holding interviews. We posted on indeed, got a bunch of very good resumes, set up SEVENTEEN interviews, confirmed with everyone their appointment time, location and what they needed to bring. Today, of 9 people that were supposed to come 3... THREE people showed up (one did call to cancel upon receiving another job offer- so she is one of the 9). Hoping tomorrow is a better day...

I realize it is uncomfortable, but PLEASE make sure that your kids go to college especially knowing how to reject jobs or reject interviews. It's ok! My sister is 14 and I'm realizing how important this is lol

There has also been a number of times where people are offered jobs, only to never come and get employment paperwork, or never show up for a shift. My job requires background checks which are footed by the company...

Thanks for listening lol, rant over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 08:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Were these applicants all teenagers? If not, I'm not sure why their parents would have any responsibility when it came to the job interview.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:34 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Seems to me this belongs on the Work and Employment forum. It's a character and responsibility issue... with grown adults presumably. Not a parenting issue at this point.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Loyalty and consideration from employees or perspective employees is long gone due to the lack of the same on the part of the employers. You get what you give, and employers who are expecting things from applicants should keep that in mind.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:08 PM

919 posts, read 1,691,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Seems to me this belongs on the Work and Employment forum. It's a character and responsibility issue... with grown adults presumably. Not a parenting issue at this point.
As I stated above, a lot of our applicants have been younger. 18 or so, which to me feels like parenting only because at tgat age anything you know about applications is likely from advice, not experience

Old 07-26-2017, 09:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Loyalty and consideration from employees or perspective employees is long gone due to the lack of the same on the part of the employers. You get what you give, and employers who are expecting things from applicants should keep that in mind.
I agree. How many employers follow up with those who interview but don't get the job? An email letting them know they decided on a different applicant - nope. So it appears lack of consideration is not a generational issue. Plenty of blame to go around.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:58 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I agree. How many employers follow up with those who interview but don't get the job? An email letting them know they decided on a different applicant - nope. So it appears lack of consideration is not a generational issue. Plenty of blame to go around.
Both very true statements. The fact that your company was willing to waste 16 people's time by scheduling 17 interviews says a lot. Narrow it down a bit more next time. They are supposed to drop everything for some menial job interview that they have a one in 17 shot of getting? I don't blame a couple of them for flaking out. And many companies don't even have the courtesy to send out even an email to the people they didn't choose.

Expect more of the same, especially for lower end jobs.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:34 AM

745 posts, read 480,581 times
Quote:
And, hopefully, if you have kids, you don't provide them with that viewpoint. It is an employer's market out there these days. They have the leverage, like it or not.

That person who didn't show up for the interview the first time, may have burnt a valuable bridge 6-8 mos later when they are still looking for a job.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:07 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
I agree with the poster who pointed out what a time waster it is to conduct 17 interviews (or rather, to intend to), particularly for what sounds like a low-paying job. You're not interviewing to add a lawyer to your firm... if the job is attracting teenaged applicants, it likely requires no skills. Call up the two most promising applicants and boom, done. If neither work out, call the next one. Etc.

That being said, I agree that young people should be taught how to respectfully decline an interview, particularly if an appointment has been set.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:42 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,873 times
It depends on what the job is. It sounds a lot like summer employment. And, OP, you're not alone. My daughter works as a supervisor at a summer camp. She has had the same issues; people who don't show up for their interview and don't call to let them know, hirees who don't complete their paperwork, employees who don't show up for their shifts, etc., hirees who won't let them know whether they've accepted or declined the offer of employment.

And they were trying to fill multiple counselor positions, so 17 interviews were appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting