Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think
Safe 6 24.00%
Not Safe 11 44.00%
Should it be stopped 6 24.00%
should it be allowed 5 20.00%
I'm on the Fence about all of it 2 8.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 07:48 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I think sometimes as human beings we don't know where to draw the line....yanno?

My grand daughter goes to cheer camp....and I can't help but wonder?

for me, these were extreme measures....
They are extreme and the coach should have known better. Splits are not something that should ever be forced as it takes time to stretch the muscle. It's shocking that he would not understand this basic thing but sadly, it happened. Even worse, the school knew about it and didn't step in until way after the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 08:00 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
They are extreme and the coach should have known better. Splits are not something that should ever be forced as it takes time to stretch the muscle. It's shocking that he would not understand this basic thing but sadly, it happened. Even worse, the school knew about it and didn't step in until way after the fact.
the thing is, if the coach, is not affiliated with the school, the school can't really say anything, can they?

My grand daughter's coach is not at all affiliated with the school. It is his business....and my grand daughter goes to a competition in Florida, but that's all.

She is also a cheer leader in school and they all do the same routines...

What I'm saying is, say something God forbid does happen, who is going to pay all those medical bills? Lets say the child is left in a wheel chair and they have to hire nurses, and all kinds of medical equipment and help....you have to sue to pay for this? Who is responsible, the parent, the coach the school?

to me, and for me, it just doesn't seem worth it. Even if the chance is slim.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:04 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
the thing is, if the coach, is not affiliated with the school, the school can't really say anything, can they?
The coach is affiliated with the school as he was hired as the school's cheerleading coach.

Quote:
What I'm saying is, say something God forbid does happen, who is going to pay all those medical bills? Lets say the child is left in a wheel chair and they have to hire nurses, and all kinds of medical equipment and help....you have to sue to pay for this? Who is responsible, the parent, the coach the school?

The parents will pay for the medical bills if anything happens. They need to decide for themselves and for their child whether the love for the sport outweighs the risk that comes with it.

My kids don't cheer but do play sports and injury is always a possibility. It's a risk we're willing to take.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:05 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:

My grand daughter's coach is not at all affiliated with the school. It is his business....and my grand daughter goes to a competition in Florida, but that's all.

She is also a cheer leader in school and they all do the same routines...

Presumably the parents are responsible for having an insurance policy the child is covered under, same as any sport or activity. No doubt, there are waivers the parent has signed acknowledging they are aware of the risks involved in the sport. Now...if there is negligence that can be proven, that is another story.

More concerning to me us why the girl is doing this if she is not enjoying it. That's odd in my opinion.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Most sports have risks. Soccer is or was the most dangerous sport. I am struggling to think of a sport where you cannot get badly hurt. Golf maybe? Curling. Curling seems pretty safe as long as they do not slip and fall ion the ice.

Now days people get really obsessed with their sports if they want to stand out. If they don't someone else will. The more obsessively involved they are, the further they go to demonstrate their prowess and that usually entails greater risk of injury. this is true of any sport.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:10 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
What horrible parents. Who raised them to be so careless with their own children's lives?

Old 08-25-2017, 08:13 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Presumably the parents are responsible for having an insurance policy the child is covered under, same as any sport or activity. No doubt, there are waivers the parent has signed acknowledging they are aware of the risks involved in the sport. Now...if there is negligence that can be proven, that is another story.

More concerning to me us why the girl is doing this if she is not enjoying it. That's odd in my opinion.
she loves cheer, but she says she is nervous flying....which I believe I need to bring up to her dad's attention again. I've asked her to discuss this with her coach....

she loves the comradery of it all, cheer at school, the girls, she absolutely loves her team of girls and they are all very close. She even loves cheer camp....practices, etc. I've never seen her stick to anything and not grow tired of it quickly.

I don't know, if I should even stick my nose in it all...but it does worry me.

Being a police officer is a very dangerous job as well....but my son loves his job. He especially loved working in Afghanistan helping them learn how to be officers.

I used to love riding horses, horses were my whole life, and let me tell you, I've had some pretty serious accidents on them. Rode all the time.

So, I don't know what to say...anything can be dangerous....

Old 08-25-2017, 08:29 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Not everyone can be a cheer leader. Splits are normal for a cheerleader. I couldn't do some of the jumps. Big deal I couldn't be a cheerleader so I went into modeling which many cheerleaders couldn't do. Just cause you want to be one, doesn't make it so. NO crying on this end. God gives us all certain talents. You go with the ones that will work.

But that what they were doing was just wrong. They should be closed down if that is normal for that business.

When I was in karate back in the 70's if we couldn't get into the splits, the teacher warned he would jump on our legs forcing us down. But we were warned a head of time so we had weeks to work on getting our bodies into that position. Some might of dropped out, I don't remember, much bigger things happened in my life.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:34 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Not everyone can be a cheer leader. Splits are normal for a cheerleader.

But that what they were doing was just wrong. They should be closed down if that is normal for that business.

When I was in karate back in the 70's if we couldn't get into the splits, the teacher warned he would jump on our legs forcing us down. But we were warned a head of time so we had weeks to work on getting our bodies into that position. Some might of dropped out, I don't remember, much bigger things happened in my life.
It was a public high school cheer camp. The coach and others (who apparently had been made aware months ago) have been placed on administrative leave. Seems the coach had been fired from a previous HS gig for the same reason. He also has a private business coaching. My guess is that indeed will be shut down. The police are now investigating.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:40 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
I knew a cheer family. Their daughter was a "flyer" or something like that. Every time we saw them they would have her come out and do her stupid routine for us. The dad took a second job to pay for it as she got older. I think they spent like 40K a year on it. They even opted not to have another child so it wouldn't take money away from her cheer.

She is in HS now and I cant see any benefits to her life from it besides hardly eating a thing so she stays light enough to be thrown around. And also perhaps no adults want to visit so we don't have to sit through a one girl "cheer" routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting