Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 02:40 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times

Advertisements

Not that you need anything else to worry about, but if you don't have one, I would recommend a hidden nanny cam to be recording for whomever you decide to have watch the baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 03:52 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
[url]www.Care.com. Babies who go to daycares get sick a lot! Your daughter is better off finding a nanny. Look at this website. It where people post for nanny jobs. Most have background checks as well. This is ultimately your daughters responsibility.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:19 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Not that you need anything else to worry about, but if you don't have one, I would recommend a hidden nanny cam to be recording for whomever you decide to have watch the baby.
If she worked at night, she wouldn't need strangers to be watched through a camera.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Such a shame that in the USA, workers are not granted sick time to care for ill children.
We DO but there are conditions. You don't just "qualify" because you want to.

We ALSO provide free birth control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
You're right; I should have said that it's a shame that all workers are not guaranteed sick time.

Aside from when my first child was an infant, I've worked from home, so it's not been an issue for me. During that first year, though, my son was sick all. the. time. from being in daycare. Ear infections, RSV, bronchitis, hand foot mouth... one thing after another. My employer was understanding and I took many days off unpaid. I was fortunate that my husband's job covered the bills and I ended up quitting when my son was a bit over a year old. I really feel bad for people who can't take time off as needed, though, either because they can't afford it or because they're afraid of losing their jobs.
Or don't have a husband to contribute his responsibilities like YOU did?

The employer and government are not substitute parents even though people get TONS of benefits and compensation for being [single] parents, despite lacking personal responsibility.

Do you really understand what you're saying - that employers trying to run a business should just "give time off as needed" for people who want to call out? And you probably don't know that THAT would be (and has been) a huge issue with non-parents and single people or people without families when employers show FAVORITISM to the people with family sob stories.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-11-2017 at 05:40 PM..

Old 10-11-2017, 05:36 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
If she worked at night, she wouldn't need strangers to be watched through a camera.
Wow. People make a lot of assumptions about the daughter and what her professional skills are. Maybe she has education/training that pays enough that she can afford daycare and it makes sense for her to go back to work? Having a father out of the picture can be hard for any new mom, even mom who has a professional career. Not all new moms are going to lose all their income to daycare. Women who meet jerks come in all shapes, sizes, and career types.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:12 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
We DO but there are conditions. You don't just "qualify" because you want to.

We ALSO provide free birth control.

Or don't have a husband to contribute his responsibilities like YOU did?

The employer and government are not substitute parents even though people get TONS of benefits and compensation for being [single] parents, despite lacking personal responsibility.

Do you really understand what you're saying - that employers trying to run a business should just "give time off as needed" for people who want to call out? And you probably don't know that THAT would be (and has been) a huge issue with non-parents and single people or people without families when employers show FAVORITISM to the people with family sob stories.
My employer understands I have kids and they get sick. I was home 3 days with one of them last week. I was able to work from home for some of the hours I missed, but not all. Those hours go unpaid. It is what it is and my boss understands my kids come first, not my job. Some people are not as fortunate and I understand that they MUST work and can not call off if their kids are sick. In this case I suggest getting a private nanny.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:13 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
A lot of rather impractical suggestions here.

Finding a new daycare? Any reputable licensed daycare will not accept sick children (there is usually list of specific conditions requiring exclusion), so that the other kids are not exposed.

Work nights? When is the mom supposed to sleep? People who work nights usually sleep during the day - when the baby will be up and need to be cared for. Now swing shift might work, as long as the OP or her husband's schedule was such so they coud be home by mid afternoon so daughter could go to work and then get home in time to still get at least a few hours of sleep before the baby was up.

Being a SAHM? Single mothers have to support their kids. I know, I am one.

Asking a SAHM to watch your sick kid? So she can get her own kids exposed? That's a whole lot to ask.

OP, I think that if it's possible for your daughter to coordinate a job with non-traditional hours that mesh with yours, and you are willing to take on that much responsibility for childcare, that is going to be the best option, certainly the cheapest one. The services that provide sick child care are typically quite expensive and in an emergency you do what you need to do, but for routine childhood illnesses, they are really going to be cost prohibitive.

But some of the other suggestions would work, if you can network and find people like a college student with a flexible schedule or a retired person. Even then you need to have multiple levels of back up because you just KNOW that the college student is going to have an exam on the day the baby is sick enough to be home from daycare.

And in case anyone wants to know, I'll admit that I've been lucky and I've worked at jobs where I do get paid sick days where it was explicitly allowed to be used to care for a sick child, and I've also been able to work from home when I've needed to including days where my kid was sick. But I know that has been a luxury that most people do not have and I'm very grateful that I do.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:23 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Wow. People make a lot of assumptions about the daughter
I kind of figured since the new mom still lives at home with her parents and "baby daddy" is out of the picture, that she is young and got pregnant on accident, like my daughter did.

There's nothing wrong with that, but to assume her parents are going to be the ones taking off work all the time for the baby, when it was her mistake in getting pregnant, is unfair and irresponsible.

This should be on the new mom to deal with, not the OP.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My employer understands I have kids and they get sick. I was home 3 days with one of them last week. I was able to work from home for some of the hours I missed, but not all. Those hours go unpaid. It is what it is and my boss understands my kids come first, not my job. Some people are not as fortunate and I understand that they MUST work and can not call off if their kids are sick. In this case I suggest getting a private nanny.
Yeah, OP, why don't you get a "private nanny"?

Old 10-12-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I kind of figured since the new mom still lives at home with her parents and "baby daddy" is out of the picture, that she is young and got pregnant on accident, like my daughter did.

There's nothing wrong with that, but to assume her parents are going to be the ones taking off work all the time for the baby, when it was her mistake in getting pregnant, is unfair and irresponsible.

This should be on the new mom to deal with, not the OP.
How is it that "there's nothing wrong with that"?

Especially in THIS case we're discussing? Which you actually go on to say.

So there's "nothing wrong with" being irresponsible and unfair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting