Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 11:07 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
...and as I said before, the OP is only assuming this is Time Out and the mother is purposely putting him out there.

He could be getting out himself and not being able to get back in or his older sibling could be locking him out. We don't know for sure that the mother is purposely doing this as punishment.
We don’t know that she is not... Poor baby. Maybe he got fingerprints on the stainless...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 11:49 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
I have seen and helped teenagers (16 and 17) locked out because they missed curfew and it destroyed them emotionally. Whatever connection the parent thought would be made between the rule violation and the consequence was absolutely overshadowed by the feeling that they were abandoned. It really made them question whether the parent loved them.
It destroyed them emotionally?

My mom did that to me a few times. Of course, my parents had gotten to the point where they didn’t bother to call the Missing Children’s hotline to report me “found” anymore.

Because I didn’t stay that way for long. And no; I wasn’t being abused, neglected or anything else that would have rendered me a victim ... I was just an uncontrollable kid.

I remember one time I was supposed to be home by 11pm & I did really good all night long keeping track of the time. I was pretty impressed with myself & left where I had been in time to make it home. As I cut through this huge park, getting about 1/4 of the way across ... I heard “IT”.

The dreaded gurgle & hiss of the automatic sprinklers coming on ... Despite my running like heck; I was soaked to the bone & was forced over a mile out of my way. And made it home 12 minutes late. To a locked house. I tried to beg & plead to no avail.

So, I & my two friends who had walked me home, just decided to walk all the way back to a block away from where we had started ... to go to Dunkin Doughnuts. We just hung out & drank coffee refills all night while trying to figure out how to fit our hands inside the cigarette vending machine to snag a pack. It wasn’t awesome but it was far from devastating.

I would have questioned my parents love if they hadn’t tried everything in their power, to ... well; parent me. I’ll bet it was more emotionally destructive for them than it was for me.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:28 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'm not sure how the fact that they're white and have stainless steel appliances figures into this at all. You know that child abuse isn't something that only happens in non-white families who have white refrigerators and cream-colored dishwashers, right?
Sorry, I was just giving details for those that needed them.
The comment on the appliances... Well, when a house is 4 years old and completely switching out perfectly good appliances so they all match? That completely describes the mom in my book.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep my eye and ear out. It helps to share.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
It destroyed them emotionally?

My mom did that to me a few times. Of course, my parents had gotten to the point where they didn’t bother to call the Missing Children’s hotline to report me “found” anymore.

Because I didn’t stay that way for long. And no; I wasn’t being abused, neglected or anything else that would have rendered me a victim ... I was just an uncontrollable kid.

I remember one time I was supposed to be home by 11pm & I did really good all night long keeping track of the time. I was pretty impressed with myself & left where I had been in time to make it home. As I cut through this huge park, getting about 1/4 of the way across ... I heard “IT”.

The dreaded gurgle & hiss of the automatic sprinklers coming on ... Despite my running like heck; I was soaked to the bone & was forced over a mile out of my way. And made it home 12 minutes late. To a locked house. I tried to beg & plead to no avail.

So, I & my two friends who had walked me home, just decided to walk all the way back to a block away from where we had started ... to go to Dunkin Doughnuts. We just hung out & drank coffee refills all night while trying to figure out how to fit our hands inside the cigarette vending machine to snag a pack. It wasn’t awesome but it was far from devastating.

I would have questioned my parents love if they hadn’t tried everything in their power, to ... well; parent me. I’ll bet it was more emotionally destructive for them than it was for me.
Do you see the difference in your story? You and your friends (who inexplicably decided not to go home that night the night you were kicked out for being 12 minutes late) made a party of it.

How would you have felt if it was just you? If you didn't have friends who tried to make a party out of a harsh punishment?

Old 10-15-2017, 09:46 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
I would go over while the child is still locked out, and knock on the front door. Just voice the concern the child has been outside for a few mins trying to get in. Don't qualify with any preconceived notions of what you think is happening, and listen to see if she will explain herself.
I would do this. Maybe she's feeding or changing the twins, and a sibling keeps locking the child out. She could be in another room and not even know. If she really is doing it as a punishment, she might think twice if she realizes you know.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 10-15-2017 at 09:57 AM..

Old 10-15-2017, 11:08 AM

666 posts, read 643,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
...and as I said before, the OP is only assuming this is Time Out and the mother is purposely putting him out there.

He could be getting out himself and not being able to get back in or his older sibling could be locking him out. We don't know for sure that the mother is purposely doing this as punishment.

This... I am taken aback at the number who are so surprised and outraged at the child being alone outside to begin with. In my old neighborhood they began running the neighborhood unsupervised by age 3 at the latest , sometimes as early as 2. Screaming at the top of their lungs was just part of the play routine.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:47 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
This... I am taken aback at the number who are so surprised and outraged at the child being alone outside to begin with. In my old neighborhood they began running the neighborhood unsupervised by age 3 at the latest , sometimes as early as 2. Screaming at the top of their lungs was just part of the play routine.
My children would absolutely be running the neighborhood if I let them, lol.

As for screaming, depending on the child that is just part of childhood. My 3 year old was screaming, wailing and crying on the front porch today as if he was seriously hurt (we were all getting in the car to go out)... all because he wanted the Blue Jacket (which was dirty) and not the Black Jacket . I can imagine a passerby thinking there was something really wrong the way he was carrying on. By the time we got to the park he was right as rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
We don’t know that she is not... Poor baby. Maybe he got fingerprints on the stainless...?
You are correct. We don't know either way. But until the OP has more information, it is premature to villify the mother.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:48 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I would do this. Maybe she's feeding or changing the twins, and a sibling keeps locking the child out. She could be in another room and not even know. If she really is doing it as a punishment, she might think twice if she realizes you know.
I agree with all of this.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:49 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Tape it.

Call CPS.

This is not normal. It's cruel and effed up.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:02 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Maybe the mother is putting him outside to quell her own frustrated desire to hit him or otherwise hurt him. She can't leave the house to calm down, so she puts him outside. Not saying it's great but it's better than physically striking him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting