Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 03:31 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,866 times

Advertisements

Mind your own business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 04:45 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I think I'd report it. If you live where the houses are close together, there are at least five other houses who could hear him, so she wouldn't have to know the report came from you. I've reported a neighbor before for locking her kids out repeatedly. My mom did that to me starting at an early age and it was terrifying. Sometimes my mom would tear my clothes off before she locked me out. Nobody ever made a call for me.

My neighbor stopped locking her kids out after I reported her. She wasn't the kind of person who would respond to parenting suggestions in a friendly way...she'd be more likely to slash my tires than take my advice, but she listened to cps.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Why does timeout have to outside? That doesn't make sense for any age, but especially a three year old.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:41 AM

212 posts, read 162,392 times
I am a single mom and have not locked my child out EVER. I find that to be neglectfully. It does sound like mom is overwhelmed but she needs to consider have her tubes tied and stop having kids your can't take care of. They are a blessing to be loved and adored.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:05 PM

924 posts, read 1,678,190 times
I probably would have called the police the moment I understood the situation. Most likely CPS will get involved and require the parent to take parenting classes and agree to supervision for several months. Would that be such a bad outcome?

I have seen and helped teenagers (16 and 17) locked out because they missed curfew and it destroyed them emotionally. Whatever connection the parent thought would be made between the rule violation and the consequence was absolutely overshadowed by the feeling that they were abandoned. It really made them question whether the parent loved them.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:32 PM

25,960 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Make the call to Child Protective Services. So, she has all those kids? It isn't like that is the fault of anyone else. In the 90s with high humidity, the child could easily become overheated. Perhaps he had something wrong with him and was crying when he was put out or will at some point.

What if a poisonous snake bites him or he falls/cuts himself while out there crying like this?

I agree this woman needs her tubes tied, like after the 3 years was born though. I don't see things getting better unless CPS comes in and helps her sort this out. I see something very bad happening in the future with all these kids and a mother that can't handle it.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:58 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This is the first rational post on this thread. Something very wrong is going on.
Agreed. I am horrified at the number of people who seem to think that this is okay.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:19 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Agreed. I am horrified at the number of people who seem to think that this is okay.
Because I bet I'm one of the people you're talking about here... I never said it was okay.

I just said that the OP has no clue if the mother is putting the boy outside for punishment unless she hears her yelling, "You're in time out! You can't come in, you bad boy!" or whatever.

The OP has no clue if the Mom is two feet away saying, "Just a second, sweetie. Bobby took off his diaper and got poo everywhere again!" or watching or not... or if she thoroughly checked the yard for broken glass and poisonous snakes (jeesh).

I am rather surprised, actually, at a number of people who appear to believe that a 3-year-old could never be away from its mother at any time, presumably. Outside to play alone? I personally don't think that's a good idea. Never stuck my own kids outside alone. Outside for punishment? No way. A reason to put her in jail, take away her other children, or give her involuntary surgery to take away her ability to have children? Absolutely not. (All other things being fine since I'm sure someone will bring that up.)

Old 10-12-2017, 05:20 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It's not OK. 3 is too young to be outside without supervision. And it's cruel. I'd call child services ASAP. It sounds like neglect to me, and dangerous.
Exactly! He's 3. I'd take him to the front door with a firm message to the parents that if it continues, I'm calling the people. That's BS! I have an almost 3 y.o grandson, and this would not be ok with me. Poor little guy.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:58 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,322,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It's not OK. 3 is too young to be outside without supervision. And it's cruel. I'd call child services ASAP. It sounds like neglect to me, and dangerous.
I would have called by now. If you're concerned about a child or something seems off, you call CPS; end of story. Let them investigate. Too many people "mind their own business" to the detriment of many abuse victims. Not saying the mom is definitely abusive, but you never know.

Call now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting