Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:58 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMarie1 View Post
Let me rephrase, they both adamantly oppose marriage and kids.

Things are different today than when many of us were younger. It used to be, we got out of HS and either married our HS sweetheart or we met someone and got married. If we were not married by 25, people started to wonder about us.

Today, more and more people are not so anxious to tie the knot. Both of my sons are in their mid 40's, and one has been married and now divorced. Both of them have had live in girlfriends, off and on, but now are pretty content being single. I pretty much understand, as I am also divorced and happy as a clam being single. No stress, no one to consider but me, and I can spend my money as I please.

I know a lot of parents want grand kids, but my two sons were and are my life, so I really don't need grand kids at this point to make me happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 11:32 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You're right, parenting is not for you at all.

Oh, and lots of people have elderly parents in wheelchairs with cognitive decline. There's no guarantee you won't wind up in this situation, even if you choose not to have children.
That is expected and normal at that age. No parent is really prepared to be the lifelong caregiver of a formerly normal kid that suffers a traumatic accident and becomes an invalid.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:16 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Gotta say, I find this thread depressing. I never had or wanted kids and have no regrets that I didn’t have them. Now in my late 50s and 15 years into my third long term relationship ( we are married), I look back at who I was and who I chose to be with in younger days and realize that in my late 20s and again in my late thirties, I lacked the maturity to choose a life long partner. We all change with time, finding someone you WANT to spend a life time with is a huge challenge. But it saddens me to see so many folks choosing to live single lives because of concerns about money, personal freedom, or simply not wanting to be tied down. When I see young couples out and about with their kids, I can’t help but think, “what a great life”. We are not all meant to have children and I don’t think anyone should feel pressure to have them but, going through life without a spouse strikes me as sad. For me, life is about sharing your experiences with someone but, that’s just me.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:30 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMarie1 View Post
They can more than afford children. Several.

They are in LTRs with like-minded bf/gf. My daughter got her tubes ties at 28. Son got a vasectomy at 30.
Sounds like they are both very sure they don't want any kids, which is their decision to make, only theirs. It also sounds like you may be one of those mothers who believes it is her right to have grandchildren. It's not.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:43 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You're right, parenting is not for you at all.

Oh, and lots of people have elderly parents in wheelchairs with cognitive decline. There's no guarantee you won't wind up in this situation, even if you choose not to have children.
That's a bit harsh. I know if I made the choice to have a child but found out I was going to have a child with Down Syndrome, I'd have an abortion. Just because you don't think you can cope with a special needs child doesn't mean you'd be a bad parent if your children were born healthy and normal.

It's simply that life is hard enough - why add more difficulty to it if you don't have to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Gotta say, I find this thread depressing. I never had or wanted kids and have no regrets that I didn’t have them. Now in my late 50s and 15 years into my third long term relationship ( we are married), I look back at who I was and who I chose to be with in younger days and realize that in my late 20s and again in my late thirties, I lacked the maturity to choose a life long partner. We all change with time, finding someone you WANT to spend a life time with is a huge challenge. But it saddens me to see so many folks choosing to live single lives because of concerns about money, personal freedom, or simply not wanting to be tied down. When I see young couples out and about with their kids, I can’t help but think, “what a great lifeâ€. We are not all meant to have children and I don’t think anyone should feel pressure to have them but, going through life without a spouse strikes me as sad. For me, life is about sharing your experiences with someone but, that’s just me.
But it's not depressing for those who have made their decision about not getting married or having children. I'm 60 and knew from my teens I never wanted kids. I had my tubes tied in my mid-twenties and I still don't regret it. If I met someone I thought I could live with the rest of my life, I might consider getting married, but he better not have any kids under the age of 18. Actually, I'd prefer he was an orphan with no kids and no relatives and no ex-wife.

Yeah, I'm really reaching there, aren't I?

Old 10-27-2017, 04:00 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
OP, Back in February you stated in another post, "I'm 28, hit the 100k at 26."
And in a post prior to that, she indicated she's 29. What's your game, OP?

Old 10-27-2017, 06:32 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
And in a post prior to that, she indicated she's 29. What's your game, OP?
Easy answer: BS artist

Old 10-27-2017, 08:25 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That is expected and normal at that age. No parent is really prepared to be the lifelong caregiver of a formerly normal kid that suffers a traumatic accident and becomes an invalid.
So? A person's parent could also wind up in a car accident and need caregiving!

Old 10-27-2017, 08:27 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
That's a bit harsh. I know if I made the choice to have a child but found out I was going to have a child with Down Syndrome, I'd have an abortion. Just because you don't think you can cope with a special needs child doesn't mean you'd be a bad parent if your children were born healthy and normal.
Your comments about special needs children are what is "a bit harsh". Not what I said. Also, you chose to come to a "Parenting" board...for what reason? You aren't a parent.

I am glad you do not have children.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:35 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times
wow when did 30's become middle-age or is it and I am just in denial? the OP said his middle age kids and people are giving example of those in their 30's. As they say 30 is the new 20 when it comes to relationship and marriage. Its is perfectly normal in todays society for early 30's someone to be not settled down yet. But by 40s (which I consider is middle age) most people settle down one way or another
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting