Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 06:56 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times

Advertisements

#1 Is WAY too sensitive and now that she is almost 12 it's becoming a problem because she cries very easily. The great thing is that she is the sweetest kid you'll ever meet and is liked by everyone!

#2 Is the total opposite of #1. She is VERY outgoing which is great, but must have her way which is not so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 05:53 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
As someone who had horrible parents, this thread fascinates me.

I was always the 'crazy' one to my mom - yes, she actually called me that to my face.
My mom and my sister get along fine, as they are just alike.

It hurts to know that your parent likes your sibling more than you.

Now don't get me wrong, my mother loves me and would do anything for me now, but it hurts to know that she doesn't like me as much as my sister.

As I read this thread, I get an underlying sense of, "Jimmy is (insert whatever trait here). Oh, well.".

Let me ask, can you change these unlikable traits in your child, or are you just resigned to them?

How much influence does parenting have?

Old 11-26-2017, 01:13 PM

173 posts, read 134,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
As someone who had horrible parents, this thread fascinates me.

I was always the 'crazy' one to my mom - yes, she actually called me that to my face.
My mom and my sister get along fine, as they are just alike.

It hurts to know that your parent likes your sibling more than you.

Now don't get me wrong, my mother loves me and would do anything for me now, but it hurts to know that she doesn't like me as much as my sister.

As I read this thread, I get an underlying sense of, "Jimmy is (insert whatever trait here). Oh, well.".

Let me ask, can you change these unlikable traits in your child, or are you just resigned to them?

I think for most traits it is worth accepting then.
Especially if it is just a preference.

For example my eldest is a perfectionist which can be annoying to me but this trait helps with his school work, projects and clubs.

There are other traits like being controlling that I interfere more with but overall it can be good he likes to take control over a situation.

As parents we will have unlikeable traits too.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:15 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

Good question. I don't think as parents we can change those traits, not in my experience at least. I think our children can change themselves to a small extent, if they find the motivation to do so. (My unambitious daughter decided it would be worthwhile to go back to school and finish her degree when she realized that having no ambition at all meant not having any kind of worthwhile life)
I agree with sleepykitten that even the traits we dislike have an upside to them that make them easier to deal with. My daughter's lack of ambition goes hand in hand with a lack of greed or desire for material things, and a willingness to accept people from all walks of life without judging them on superficial things like cars, clothing, status, etc. So it balances out IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting