Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:32 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
You/we don't know that.
Sure we do. Primary sources like letters and diaries are wonderful things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 06:37 AM

649 posts, read 815,972 times
I have many friends with a tradition of boarding school. In the US it is most common that the child go to a private "day" school nearby and live at home until 7th grade (for some) or 9th grade for others. Boarding school from thereafter as decided upon BY THE CHILD for the where and when to attend.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:40 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
The only person I know who went to boarding school grew up to be a teenage adult. She just never got over the girl drama from Jr High/Highschool. She was very distrusting of the motives of other females her age. Like she would insist she was slighted, but nothing happened in reality and caused a lot of "girl drama" even though she was 40.

She had a very cold relationship with her mother but she was clingy with her father...he seemed disengaged with her though.

She loved her children very much but struggled to know how to parent properly...it was too much stress for her.

Now I cant base all I know about boarding school on this one person. But it is kind of what I would expect from someone sent away from their family so young.

I have a 12 year old and still cant imagine not being the person in his life that molds and shapes him...guides him. Not to mention, I love him like crazy and to think of essentially missing their lives would kill me.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:42 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsey.x View Post
He is 7 years old. My brother, who has a son who is studying at one of the best boarding schools in Switzerland, has sent me some recommendations. I think he's still very young,but I want to send him to the beginning of the school year. what do you think about that ?
I was sent to boarding school aged 7 until I was 18,only seeing my parents for maybe 10 weeks of the year.
If you want your child growing up without parents being around to offer guidance,support and comfort at crucial times in their childhood then don't send them.
Why anyone brings a child into the world and then lets complete strangers be responsible for their growing up is beyond me - unless home circumstances prevent this.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:56 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
Here's my other thing, OP, what benefits did you get from going to boarding school? You're a grown woman who isn't comfortable making decisions for your own child. You say you're not qualified to supervise your own child's education and aren't raising him well. You're a PRODUCT of the boarding school pipeline, and you don't see yourself as qualified to do a pretty basic life task - raising a kid. You don't have confidence in your own opinions. That to me is a pretty damning condemnation of the boarding school system you grew up in and your family, which sounds like a pack of controlling bullies.

I went to one of the best private schools on the east coast, which had a lot of boarding students. They were in HIGH SCHOOL though. A certain type of kid did very well in that atmosphere, but a lot didn't. Personally, I boarded at the school for a week and I was miserable. It wasn't because I missed my parents, but mainly because I felt like I was being warehoused and had no privacy. I couldn't think with all the dorm life around me. I did fine in college, but in high school, it was not something I was prepared for.

Get yourself into therapy, study up on parenting. Learn how you can enhance your child's education as an involved parent rather than sending your very young child away.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:40 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Sexual abuse happens in public day schools too. A lot.
sexual abuse happens a lot at public day school? "A lot"? Ummmmm...I think you need to move if that is common where you live. Because it isn't common.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
sexual abuse happens a lot at public day school? "A lot"? Ummmmm...I think you need to move if that is common where you live. Because it isn't common.
Yes, it happens quite a bit.

https://www.apnews.com/1b74feef88df4475b377dcdd6406ebb7

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...jobs/95346790/

Is sexual abuse in schools very common?

Ummmmm...it happens all over the country.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:29 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,001 times
Quote:
I agree with you but my family is very conservative and likes to keep the traditions.It is not that simple. Thanks for answering,It helps a lot.I need to have a serious talk about that with my family.
Your family is not raising your child; you are. Sending children away to boarding school at 7 years old is old-fashioned European, class-based status crap. Why even have a child if you're only going to raise him for 7 years? Is your family British, with a generations-long tradition of sending every child off to boarding school?

Old 11-16-2017, 11:12 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
Quote:
I agree with you but my family is very conservative and likes to keep the traditions.It is not that simple. Thanks for answering,It helps a lot.I need to have a serious talk about that with my family.
Seven is way too young. Time for you and your spouse to create your own traditions, methinks.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:27 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't understand sending a child away to school, especially not that young.
Agreed. Why have children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting