Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 11:03 AM

1,122 posts, read 965,945 times

Advertisements

The original story
Toddler, Left Outside Restaurant, Is Returned to Her Mother - The New York Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 11:13 AM

1,122 posts, read 965,945 times
I thought you might find this humorous... Actually in Denmark they do not let just anyone in. Interesting

https://www.howtoliveindenmark.com/s...-donald-trump/

No wonder why those kids in stroller are safe...:-)

Old 11-27-2017, 12:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,768,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I already posted what she was charged with. The article tells you all of the answers to your questions.
And yet all the charges were dropped. So she was not convicted of anything. Isn't there something about not guilty unless convicted?

Old 11-27-2017, 12:55 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,768,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I don't think the Swedish student was told it was against the law. If I remember correctly this lady was.
First, if it were actually illegal, than ignorance of the law is no excuse. But it is not in fact illegal, and when investigated in MA, was found not to be child endangerment.

People say things are against the law all the time and are wrong. In fact it is not against the law to leave a child in a stroller outside within eyesight of the parent.

Quote:
It does if she was made aware there was a danger to the child and refused to act on it.
You have no obligation to listen to people not in authority when it comes to laws.

Quote:
Oh, please. Charges get dropped all the time for reasons that have nothing to do with the legitimacy of the charges. Things like knowing an illegal strip search happened in conjunction with the arrest or knowing any verdict will be throw out due to police error, such as failing to notify the arrested person that they have a right to call their consulate, are certainly reasonable explanations why a legitimate charge would be dropped. Aside from which, again if this is the case I remember, part of the deal for the charges being dropped was that she HAD to leave to country.

Her settlement, which was significantly less than she oringinally sued for, shows the police took actions that were either illegal or unconstitutional, not whether she was innocent or not.
Her settlement, which you keep bringing up, and I did not, is irrelevant. What is relevant is that the charges were dropped, same with the student in Massachusetts, which just goes to show it is not illegal to leave a child in a stroller if you are watching them. We just have some knee jerk reactions because the mother sat down to eat on one side of window and the baby was on another. You can go to any playground in the country and see some parent with two kids push one on the swings and the other maybe 20-30ft away in a stroller taking a nap. In terms of risk to the child it is literally no different.

And she didn't "have to leave the country". She actually was told to stay until court dates were settled.

In fact the point was that she did not have to come back.

"''No purpose would be served by the prosecution of this case at this time,'' said David Austen, the assistant district attorney prosecuting the case.

Judge Michael Gross of Criminal Court told Ms. Sorensen, 30, that charges would be dropped and that the record of the charges would be sealed if she remained out of trouble for six months. The judge said that Ms. Sorensen would not have to remain in the United States or return to court at the end of the six months.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/17/ny...e-dropped.html

Old 11-27-2017, 12:56 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,093,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I thought you might find this humorous... Actually in Denmark they do not let just anyone in.
No first-world country does.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:07 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,129,859 times
Yes, it is normal practice in Scandinavia. I never did it with my baby, but many do with their babies and have no issues.

I am surprised she left the baby outside in NYC. It is rather ignorant of her to assume safety in the East Village.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:31 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,511,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Yes, it is normal practice in Scandinavia. I never did it with my baby, but many do with their babies and have no issues.

I am surprised she left the baby outside in NYC. It is rather ignorant of her to assume safety in the East Village.
The East Village is pretty safe but not to the point I'd leave a baby outside.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:40 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,093,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Ignorance and naivete can be excused, but once she was told by other cafe patrons that it's not how things are done in New York, she should have gotten a clue and the entire incident could have been avoided.

When in Rome and all that.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:59 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,219,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ignorance and naivete can be excused, but once she was told by other cafe patrons that it's not how things are done in New York, she should have gotten a clue and the entire incident could have been avoided.

When in Rome and all that.
like how people on here should do what others decide is appropriate

Old 11-27-2017, 04:22 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,704,291 times
This woman is an idiot. Anyone who would leave an unattended baby (or child ) out there alone doesn't deserve to have children.

I just stayed in a hotel, and there were families staying there with young kids because they were there for some sports competitions. I would get on the elevator and there would be a young kid in there, all alone, and they would be about 6 or so years old........no parent in sight. How anyone could allow a child that young to go out without some adult watching them is beyond me. Then they wonder how kids get abducted or worse.

This isn't Mayberry anymore, nor is it 1950.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting