Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:41 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

No, it's totally normal. I was in high school not too long ago and there were many Senior/Sophomore relationships, with the guy being older the vast majority of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 03:57 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
It wasn’t wrong per my judgement, last year, when both my twin girls dated Seniors during their Sophmore year.

The only bad part was that one of them lasted until the summer & they broke up before the kid went to college but I hadn’t thought it would last that long, initially.

But really; there are other much more important things to worry about. The seniors my girls dated were top in their class; clean as a whistle, involved in their communities & the arts ...

In contrast, prior to the Seniors, one of my daughters broke up with a fellow Sophmore because he was “pressuring” her (sexually). Her response? “Eww. Gross; how stupid does he think I am?”

The other one, also prior to the senior, broke up with a Junior because she found out he was smoking pot. She said “I’m trying to go into Aerospace engineering; I don’t need to hang out with losers.”

So, I trust their judgement based on their behaviors. Different kids, different circumstances ... & i may have felt ... differently.
You might want to tell your daughter that LOTS of engineers (and other professionals) smoke pot. Just so she's prepared.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:47 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
I began dating my husband as a freshman and he was a senior. We both went off to different colleges and lived our own lives but kept in touch and got together when we could. We married 11 years later when we knew for sure we were on the same path in life. ( And I started school early so I was young for my grade ).

We've been happily married for 9 years now and are raising two little ladies. Karma may come back to bite us.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:00 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
What's the fuss anyway, as long as he's not a member of a gang or terrorist group?

Old 01-14-2018, 02:06 PM

426 posts, read 362,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRogue View Post
I was wondering, is senior with sophomore inappropiate/wrong? I know senior/freshman is, but how is senior sophomore generally viewed?

If the girl is older, both are fine.

If the boy is older, it's still fine, but it would never happen.

Most girls are 4-6 years more mature than boys, so a freshman girl of 14 and a senior boy of 18 is either both of equal maturity or the girl slightly more mature.

A freshman boy of 14 and a senior girl of 18 would be a 10-12-year maturity gap. There's no way that relationship happens.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I would think you don't have to worry so much about hs romances and couples they usually don't last long as a senior in a year will be going off to college and meeting different people and most likely will not be interested in the one he or she left behind . And the one left behind will most likely be interested in someone else soonafter . That is the natural order of things .
Very few people meet the one they are going to marry in High school .

This is inaccurate.

If the couple stays together for an entire year, there's a good chance they stay together long-term.

Anything more than like 3 months is marriage potential.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The only concern that I might have would be for my son/daughter being a senior is if the relationship is sexual and one becomes an adult with the other not having reached the age of sexual consent and someone presses charges. Some seniors will be 18 (sometimes even older these days) with a 15 year old partner. A senior should be looking to moving on from high school anyway.

A senior is still in high school.

These kinds of comments are so annoying. You don't define yourself on how old you are.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Well, you didn't really specify the ages of this hypothetical senior and sophomore, so it begs the question of how many years difference there is. I've known 19 year old seniors as well as 14 year old sophmores. I would have a problem if their ages were more than 2 years apart, we're not speaking about two grown adults. My daughter is 10 years younger than her husband (great guy) BUT they obviously didn't meet in high school.

Yes, this!

Yes, once one becomes legal age while the other is not changes the dynamics. We live in a different time now and what used to be acceptable is no longer the case.

If the 19 year old is a senior and the 14 year old is a sophomore, their maturity level puts them in those grades.

The 19 year old is only a 12th grader maturity wise and the 14 year old is already a 10th grader.

The actual physical age is irrelevant.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
A lot of people mentioned "a two year age difference" but I would be a little concerned if it was a particularly young and immature sophomore and an older, much more mature senior. I could easily see the younger partner being taken advantage of in that situation.

But, it really is more about the individuals and not their ages. As a junior in HS, I briefly dated a senior. While he was less than a year older than me he was clearly, clearly FAR, FAR more sexually experienced and had FAR, FAR more sexual expectations than any of the other HS boys, or HS graduates that I had dated previously.

And, it isn't always the boy who is the sexual predator. In another situation that I am familiar with, it was the sexually experienced sophomore girl who pressured her boyfriend, a junior, who apparently was a virgin, into having unprotected sex. The only reason that people found out was because it resulted in an unplanned pregnancy and forced wedding.

If you're having sex in high school, that tells you all you need to know about the maturity of the individual.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy2017 View Post
I dated a senior when I was a sophomore, the relationship actually lasted around 4 years. He's a lovely person and we remained friends for many years afterward. I never felt extra pressure or anything because he was older.

All kinds of age differences can work well, my husband and I are 14 days apart, my parents (married 50 years) are 3mths apart. Our good friends are 15yrs apart. It can all work.

Why did you break up after 4 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting