Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 07:30 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Why is he tired of it? It doesn't bother the dog to be in the house for a few hours, does it? Maybe your parents are tired of you guys bringing your dogs to their cook-out? Maybe you guys should consider getting a dog sitter?

Your parents obviously want these friends and you to attend their gathering, and are willing to make a reasonable accommodation for both them and you. It's not up to you, your husband, your brother, nor your aunt. Not your gathering, not your call. You have some gall to be irritated over it.

I am a dog owner, and I realize that my dog is not liked by everyone nor is welcome everywhere. Big deal - he's a dog, his feelings are not hurt, he's not traumatized, he's safe, he'll forget that he was in the house alone for a few hours as soon as the cookout wraps up. As long as my dog is safe and not traumatized, I don't elevate him above the people in my life.
You. I like you.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:45 AM

126 posts, read 136,939 times
We dont leave the dog home because we stay for multiple nights. My mom would never tell my brother and I not to bring our dogs, she loves the dogs too and thinks the kid is ridiculous but puts the kids feelings first i guess. Doesnt want to offend these folks by saying oh sorry, deal with the dog. I get that...but I guess I'm just venting.

I understand not everyone will like my dog but these parents need to realize not everyone will like their kid. NO one is going to tell them that but she is not fun to have around. Also still sucking her thumb at 6.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:53 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
For the past few years we've had friends attend a cookout at my parents house. We always bring our dog and my brother also has a dog...my aunt also brings her dog. This one family comes who has a daughter and she is terrified of dogs. So for the past 3 summers she comes to one or two cookouts a summer and each time the dogs have to be put in the house. I had kind of forgotten about it when she showed up saturday. Immediately i could see her visibly afraid and my mom who goes out of her way for everyone was like, oh dont worry we'll just put the dogs inside. Our dog is a lovable yellow lab who enjoys being outside with us. I understand the fear or dogs but I'm a bit irritated that these folks continue to show up thinking that we'll just put the dog away. I spoke up (never have before with them) and said, do you think she'll warm up to him if we just keep him over here? The mother was kind of like, i'm sorry but I don't know and then my mom chimed and said, oh we'll just put him in the house. So into the house the dog went and he pawed at the door the whole time he was in there. He escaped a few times when others opened the door.

My DH said to me at one point, I'm really tired of having to put the dog in the house at these things because of that kid, it's ridiculous. My aunt who has a dog also rolled her eyes and was like, i think Max should be outside, I really want to bring Marley outside, that girl needs to get over it.

The kid is 6, and will maybe always be afraid of dogs. I get having fears, but her parents clearly arent working with her on this and are probably inconveniencing dog owners wherever they go. Dogs are everywhere, being terrified of them as she is must be stressful...but not stressful enough for them to keep coming back to where they KNOW there are multiple dogs. It would be one thing if they showed up not knowing a dog is there.

The thing about the kid too is that she isn't some shy, docile sweet thing. She ran all over the yard during the party pretty loudly and at one point she was hanging from this metal bar by some cement steps. I dont normally tell other people's kids what to do but her mom has a habit of of showing up and sitting down the whole time not watching any of her kids. I said to the girl, oh i dont think that's a good idea, you might fall (there was also another little girl starting to do the same thing). Kid looked at me smiled and kept right on doing it.

It's not my house, it's my parents. If it were MY house i would maybe say, sorry the dog stays outside and the group could decide from there if they want to come back. This is the third summer and probably 8th event this has happened at. My parents house is a far distance and we stay the night so leaving the dog home isn't really an option.

Anyone else been in a situation like this from either side? I could see if my dog was terrible and jumping on people but he isn't like that. I also would feel kind of embarrassed if I was the parents here continuously showing up to something where they had to have these special accommodations of no one being allowed to have a dog in sight.
Your parents home, their rules.....and people always come first imo. You are in the wrong. You need to decide if it's better to leave your dog at home if being put inside worries you this much.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:09 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
You're not going to win this, not in real life and not on C-D.

A child can be as bratty, irritating and obnoxious as they can possibly be, and you have to put up with it because they are human.

A dog or cat can be minding its own business and bothering no one, but as soon as someone wrinkles their nose and says "I just don't like being around animals" you are obligated to remove it, because People Always Come First.

Personally I think many people abuse their People Always Come First privilege. But again, you're not going to win this because 99% of people will find the idea that you don't like being around a certain child outrageous, but the fact that the child doesn't like your pet totally acceptable.

Notice how many people in this thread have already expressed the sentiment that you shouldn't even bring your dog to a family gathering because you don't "need" to bring it. It's apparently not okay to take your pet places with you because you want to, because some people don't like animals and People Always Come First!

Last edited by saibot; 05-29-2018 at 08:20 AM..

Old 05-29-2018, 08:12 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:

I understand not everyone will like my dog but these parents need to realize not everyone will like their kid. NO one is going to tell them that but she is not fun to have around. Also still sucking her thumb at 6.
I would think this child has issues in most social settings. This child may have impulse controls from a attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder or developmental delays. If so, these parents are well aware her problems.

If she unknowing upsets a dog, and that dog bit her, the owner could be sued or lose their dog. Keeping a dog indoors to accommodate a child with a possible disability should not be a problem.

I feel sorry for her and her parents.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:17 AM

125 posts, read 85,007 times
I think it is extremely rude to take your dogs to anyone else’s home. There is a thing called boarding facility. Or else get a college kid to dogsit.
We used to have dogs and would never dream of brings them to other people’s homes- even family.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:50 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeniejeans View Post
I think it is extremely rude to take your dogs to anyone else’s home. There is a thing called boarding facility. Or else get a college kid to dogsit.
We used to have dogs and would never dream of brings them to other people’s homes- even family.
Apparently the OP's mom likes having the dogs visit. My in-laws loved it when we brought our dog to their house; he would play with their dog and a good time was had by all.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:57 AM

126 posts, read 136,939 times
Default re

Quote:
They are my PARENTS. They enjoy the dog too. The dog isnt going to stay home just because this kid shows up for a few hours.

At the end of the day it's not a humongous problem in my life. I just feel like these folks think they are entitled to show up at my parents house and voila they get what they want and the dog goes in the house. That is what bothers me the most. How about work with your kid on her dog fear and disobedience or stay home. They actually were not invited technically. My mom invites their grandmother who said, oh so and so and her kids are here, can they come...and my mom said yes.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:09 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Quote:
It's not that simple. Dogs love their people. Boarding places can be very traumatizing for pets. It's not always easy to find a solution that will keep the pets happy and comfortable. Our dog travels with us when we travel by car. I bring his blankets and kennel if he has to stay in a hotel room alone for a few hours so he is not a nuisance. It keeps him calm and quiet. I have someone come in and walk him if he is home alone for the day. I try to find a family for him to stay with if we have to spend nights away from him.

I have had a fear of bigger dogs too since I was a kid. Most of it has gone away. I am not a fan of labs because they are bigger dogs that are not always trained or friendly. Once I get to know the dog, I get over that. If you had your dog on a leash, I think you could kneel down and introduce the dog and girl and encourage her to softly pet him. Show her his tricks like sitting or rolling over. That usually impresses the kids. I think it's possible that the parents also have an aversion to the dogs and that is why the girl isn't overcoming her fears.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:19 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
For the past few years we've had friends attend a cookout at my parents house. The mother was kind of like, i'm sorry but I don't know and then my mom chimed and said, oh we'll just put him in the house. So into the house the dog went and he pawed at the door the whole time he was in there. He escaped a few times when others opened the door.
Your Mom, who owns the house, has spoken. The rest of it is an academic argument. Whether your an obnoxious dogmom that thinks her dog runs the world, or the other mom or her kid is an overwrought ninny, doesn't much matter.

Also, I agree with you about it being ridiculous on behalf of the Mother/6 YO, in the absence of other information to give it context. Kids should be at least comfortable around friendly dogs in our culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting