Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:47 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,710,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
The dog isnt going to stay home just because this kid shows up for a few hours.
So you are staying for days and this kid here for a couple of hours. Ok, that helped your argument immensely

That's a big inconvenience.

Out of curiosity, would your feelings on this change if the child was allergic to the dog? Assuming the kid had medication for the condition but it still didn't prevent a reaction. Would your actions be any different?

Old 05-29-2018, 10:02 AM

6,571 posts, read 8,428,705 times
Quote:
They are my PARENTS. They enjoy the dog too. The dog isnt going to stay home just because this kid shows up for a few hours.

At the end of the day it's not a humongous problem in my life. I just feel like these folks think they are entitled to show up at my parents house and voila they get what they want and the dog goes in the house. That is what bothers me the most. How about work with your kid on her dog fear and disobedience or stay home. They actually were not invited technically. My mom invites their grandmother who said, oh so and so and her kids are here, can they come...and my mom said yes.
I agree that you don't need to keep your dog at home just because of those few hours.

But why does it bother you that the dogs have to stay in the house for a few hours? Outside those few hours, they get the run of the property for the whole visit.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:10 AM

126 posts, read 137,410 times
It feels rude that they keep showing up with the expectation that the dogs will be put inside for their brat. I couldnt imagine doing this with my own kids.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:13 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 3 days ago)

16,092 posts, read 21,217,574 times
Quote:
How about work with your kid on her dog fear and disobedience or stay home. They actually were not invited technically. My mom invites their grandmother who said, oh so and so and her kids are here, can they come...and my mom said yes.
That's the long and short of it there. Your mom said yes, knowing the dogs would have to go in the house, and she's ok with that. Talk to your mom and let her know how much it bothers you, it's still her decision though. She may or may not decide that her friends presence is important enough to her to override your upset over the dog for a few hours.-Are you sure you aren't just upset over the fact that your mom isn't putting your needs above the needs of someone else?-
Also while it might be nice of you to offer to let the girl pet your dog in an attempt to get more comfortable with dogs, it's ultimately up to her parents to make that decision. There could be things you are unaware of so please don't attempt to do something like that without their knowledge or permission. If she really is ADHD she may not even have the ability to calmly interact with the dog in an appropriate way at this point, trying to force it could result in a disaster.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:14 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,742,227 times
But you're showing up with the expectation that your dogs can join in on the picnic. LOL People (even annoying 6-year-olds) come before pets. And I say this as the mother of two children AND as the furmom of a large dog. If someone comes over who does not like big dogs, then into his crate he goes. He might whine for two minutes, but he will get over it. He's a dog. All he knows is that the humans make the rules, end of story.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:17 AM

My dog IS welcome at the cookout. It's this kid shows up, causes awkwardness and it seems like the only resolution is to put him in the house. Everyone else there thinks the dog is great, wants to pet him.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:21 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 3 days ago)

16,092 posts, read 21,217,574 times
Your problem is not the kid, your problem is that your mom is putting her needs before yours and it angers you. TALK to your mom.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:27 AM

yeah i guess that is what part of it is. Why are their needs more important than mine and my DH's? We want the dog outside. As i mentioned this is the 7th or so time this kids needs are put before ours.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:28 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,068,214 times
Quote:
yeah i guess that is what part of it is. Why are their needs more important than mine and my DH's? We want the dog outside. As i mentioned this is the 7th or so time this kids needs are put before ours.
7 cookouts(?) over how long?

Old 05-29-2018, 10:29 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,267,475 times
I love dogs & own dogs but....I am so sick of people who think their pets need to be everywhere, are loved by everyone and are the equivalent of people. They're not.

My dog isn't in therapy because he missed a cookout, family outing or vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting