Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 03:04 PM

175 posts, read 203,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post

A grown adult parent intentionally causing a child to fall off from a boogie board, actually having placed him on it with that goal (not like playing a prank on a kid but actually wanting a kid harmed) is sadistic and malicious.
Agree completely. Your son's behavior was wrong and he needed to be disciplined. The WAY his uncle chose to discipline was criminal. I would contact the local police immediately and press charges against him for aggravated assault against a minor. No hesitation. While parents in most states have limited rights to physically discipline their children, another adult or family member has NO RIGHT to use force against a child. I would be enraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 04:44 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
1) Exactly what was the extent of your son's injuries?
2) Why are they playing with boogie boards on dry land?
I might have missed a post about this - where did it say they were playing on dry land? I also got that same impression, but I don't recall seeing that posted anywhere.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:52 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Doubt we'll find out. Seems like a one and done poster.

They haven't been online since one minute before the first response to their opening post.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:54 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Doubt we'll find out. Seems like a one and done poster.

They haven't been online since one minute before the first response to their opening post.
When those pop up I wonder if they're students doing a social experiment

Old 06-06-2018, 04:56 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
When those pop up I wonder if they're students doing a social experiment
It's only been a day. Could be the kid is acting up and she needs to coddle it some more.

That was so bad of me...

Sorry

Old 06-06-2018, 06:02 PM

725 posts, read 805,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
Agree completely. Your son's behavior was wrong and he needed to be disciplined. The WAY his uncle chose to discipline was criminal. I would contact the local police immediately and press charges against him for aggravated assault against a minor. No hesitation. While parents in most states have limited rights to physically discipline their children, another adult or family member has NO RIGHT to use force against a child. I would be enraged.
Agree with your sentiments but the police often make things worse and the situation can be handled domestically.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:47 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:

And also have them take the son to Juvenile Hall for aggravated assault on a toddler. And also include the husband who threatened to punch his brother.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:28 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
And also have them take the son to Juvenile Hall for aggravated assault on a toddler. And also include the husband who threatened to punch his brother.
The kids were playing; the little one was enjoying it until she got hurt. It was the adult who acted like a sadistic freak by intentionally trying to cause injury to a young child. Are you trolling here? They aren't going to take a nine-year-old to "Juvenile Hall" for "aggravated assault" over horseplay.

I'm getting some real Hills Have Eyes vibes from some of these responses. From this limited story people have determined this little boy is some kind of monstrous psychopath, stalking smaller children with glee, which will in turn lead to his later incarceration or (deserved) death. And I love the guy who says that the BIL had the right to send him home black and blue or even with stitches (though a broken arm may have been too much). WTAF? No one has a right to lay hands on your child. Ever. Period. End of.

And just because you feel like punching someone doesn't mean you will. It doesn't mean you're violent or you've taught your kids to be violent. The boy's father was angry, and rightly so, about the sickening handling of this situation. Sometimes people express anger through words without actually meaning them or acting on them. Shocker!

There were about 10 different ways to end this without anyone getting hurt and while teaching a valuable lesson, but those would have involved active, thoughtful parenting. Perhaps that's lost on people who think he should have just been beaten with a switch down by the river.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:37 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
And what automatically makes the adult family member or teacher’s judgement on what constitutes misbehavior, correct? In my experience adult teachers and family members are often more flawed than children and lack good judgement. Never teach children to blindly follow adults. That is dangerous both in the immediate and long term when individuals are raised to be subservient to some “authority”.

He was misbehaving and was asked to stop. Extrapolating beyond what I said is another issue.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:33 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
Quote:
The law is the last thing you want to involve in family matters. A complete break up of relationships , and a sure way to alienate you from every one. This is extreme and nuts, unless some broken bones or bleeding is involved. And still, a nice beat down onto his brother is better than calling the cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting