Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 11:07 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
And you are watching all of them and keeping track of "latching on" problems?
No, in no way, shape or form.

And YET I am still aware of it, so it shows up.

Why are you starting a thread with speculation, why not just look up the data?

Why the need to make up a problem?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 11:09 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
I disagree.

Breastfeeding is instinctual and all animals do it.

There is no biological reason why a preponderance of babies wouldn't be able to do it easily - that would go against nature and the species would eventually die out due to some genetic mutation or malfunction.

The thinking that it's "normal" to have this problem is mind-boggling to me.

That's illogical. WHY would that be the case.

WHAT do you imagine the problem to be?
Your attitude contributes to shame in new moms. Your assumptions contribute to the idea that if a new mom has trouble, there is something wrong with her or her baby. Being a new mom is hard enough without people like you making it worse.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:24 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
How could you possibly know that?

This is how urban legends come to be.
According to this source, other primates sometimes have difficulty.

https://carta.anthropogeny.org/moca/...-breastfeeding

Quote:
Humans are not the only primates that need to be taught how to breastfeed their offspring, yet humans require more learning than our closest primate relatives. However, the learning necessary for successful lactation in human mothers seems to be greater in comparison with other primates.
Apparently, sometimes lambs have difficulty with breastfeeding and this is a much bigger problem for lambs than for humans.

Common Problems with Newborn Lambs and Kids – Dutchess County Sheep and Wool Growers Association

Quote:
Problem: Lamb/kid is having trouble nursing or refusing to nurse

What to do: It is vital that newborn lambs and kids receive colostrum (milk produced in the first 48 hours after birthing which is high in antibodies) within their first 8-12 hours of life, or their chances of surviving will be halved as they will have limited defenses against disease and infection. Colostrum is also a high-fat energy source that keeps lambs and kids from losing too much body heat in their first few hours of life. When you see lambs and kids struggling to nurse, or notice that a new lamb or kid has empty, concave sides a few hours after being born, first make sure the lamb or kid is warm or dry, then make sure that the mother has milk to feed the offspring by milking each of her teats. You may need to assist the lamb/kid in finding the teat by holding its mouth to the teat and expressing a small amount of milk directly into its mouth. If the lamb/kid is too weak to stand and nurse, milk out colostrum from the mother (best) or use a colostrum replacer and bottle-feed the lamb/kid 2 ounces every couple of hours until it is strong enough to nurse on its own. If the lamb or kid is too weak to suck, use a syringe to squirt milk directly into the mouth but make sure not to squirt milk into the windpipe and the lungs. An extremely weak lamb/might also benefit from adding a spoonful of molasses to the milk to provide a quick energy boost in the form of sugar.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:05 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
It is not new, it's just that more people are talking about it. Back in the day (before formula) people used wet nurses when they had trouble breastfeeding.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:07 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times
I think we had some generations where it was seen as better to feed formula. We lost that passing down of knowledge from mother to daughter. We gained an easy alternative when things got difficult. I was not breastfed. My mom was not breastfed. I had no one to encourage me and lots of advice to just give formula. It was really hard with my first and I almost gave up, but stuck it out. My second was easy to breastfeed. My 3rd was again, difficult, but I was armed with experience. He had a tongue tie. We fixed it and we worked things out. I have been able to help out some of my cousins as they work through things.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:07 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Your attitude contributes to shame in new moms. Your assumptions contribute to the idea that if a new mom has trouble, there is something wrong with her or her baby. Being a new mom is hard enough without people like you making it worse.
Yep.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:43 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Quote:
I have a couple of theories

1) It has always been difficult for some people, it just wasn't discussed openly.

2) with medical advances, more babies make it to birth, and survive premature birth than in past generations. Perhaps there is a correlation between these births and trouble breast feeding. My first had trouble feeding, and he was one of these kids. I believe that 30 years earlier, he would not have survived.

3) with regard to nature, I bet there are animals who have trouble. Then they die. How would you know the difference?
Excellent points!

Old 06-24-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
My "attitude?"

I was asking a question about a problem - trying to gain understanding as to why this is a thing now.

I am not responsible for anyone else's "shame" or feelings of any kind.

If a "new mom" (or any mom) has "trouble," as you say, there is something that has gone awry - either it is a physical problem (as one mom described) or something else . . . but it is a problem, none-the-less. Good thing there is formula so it's not life or death for the baby and the mom can always feel like she tried her best but it just wasn't working out or whatever.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:49 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
My "attitude?"

I was asking a question about a problem - trying to gain understanding as to why this is a thing now.

I am not responsible for anyone else's "shame" or feelings of any kind.

If a "new mom" (or any mom) has "trouble," as you say, there is something that has gone awry - either it is a physical problem (as one mom described) or something else . . . but it is a problem, none-the-less. Good thing there is formula so it's not life or death for the baby and the mom can always feel like she tried her best but it just wasn't working out or whatever.
You said it was a problem, with no backup.

Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-25-2018 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: attack

Old 06-24-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
According to this source, other primates sometimes have difficulty.

https://carta.anthropogeny.org/moca/...-breastfeeding

Apparently, sometimes lambs have difficulty with breastfeeding and this is a much bigger problem for lambs than for humans.

Common Problems with Newborn Lambs and Kids – Dutchess County Sheep and Wool Growers Association
Very interesting info - the lamb might be too cold, too weak - the mom might not be into it . . . there are reasons - wonder what the incidence is. It is sad for other animals, cuz there is no back up if they don't nurse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting