Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 05:03 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,494,151 times

Advertisements

My little cousin is 9 now and I remember her first being able to read and write at around ages 6 or 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 05:08 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old and the difference between all the kids their ages is huge!

Don't stress out, dad! Whatever you do to teach, make it fun and play. Don't stress him out, either!

Old 07-03-2018, 06:23 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
The OP hasn't returned, but just in case he's still reading here, he's getting a lot of good advice.

I'd add: teach your little boy the alphabet song, but don't bother with recognizing the alphabet. Teach him to print his name, if he's interested, though he may not have the fine muscle control to achieve this.

But far more important that either singing, reciting, recognizing or writing the alphabet is learning that books are fun! So, head for your closest library, ask where the picture books are, get some booklists, and stock up. Ask about programs for young children - storytimes, often with simple related crafts afterwards, are library staples.

Start reading bedtime stories if you aren't already doing so. Tell stories, too - about your own childhood, or just make them up. Ask your little boy to tell you a story (write it down for later enjoyment). Sing to and with him. Mother Goose rhymes and songs are great at this age. Engage in imaginative play with him (let Teddy bear go for a ride on a toy car or truck or whatever has wheels, and talk about what Teddy packed, what he's going to have for lunch, where he's going and so on.

Similarly with math - teach him to count to ten and to apply it with blocks or bears of whatever he has multiples of. But make it fun. Count the trees in the yard, the swings at the playground.

Learning through play is what little ones do at this age. So guide the play if you are concerned about future academics, but keep the play first. Enjoy your little boy - the "little" part won't last long...

Old 07-03-2018, 10:49 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
My 3 yr old normal boy w/o any health problems
he can only recognize 10 letters out of 26
he has no speech delay or any other issues
recognizes numbers upto 11
any suggesitons on what books programs etc stuff that will help him improve ?

Don't fret. If your boy is not exceptional but just a normal 3 year old I don't think that is anything to worry about. When he is old enough to go to kindergarten or first grade he will learn to grasp the alphabet along with his peers.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:34 AM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
kids learn to read anywhere between the age of 4 and age 13. that is normal.
let him go at his own pace.

my eldest everyone was worried about him because he was in third grade and not reading. the next year he was not only reading, but he was reading at 8th grade level.

my second son even though his brothers and parents were all avid readers and our house was filled with stacks of books everywhere, he showed no interest in books even up to fifth grade. we were a bit worried about this. he did however know more about history than anyone in the family. he could rattle off dates and wars and countries and battles and types of different military aircraft, something no one in our family knew anything about. I asked him how do you know all this? since again still no interest in books. he said he watches the history channel a lot. still im worried about the no books and no reading thing just bare minimum for school work and no reading at home. someone told me when he finds a topic that interests him he will seek it out. sure enough he did. he got interested in some machine code language and started reading those books and taught himself programming and then there were stacks of books in his room too. that also is now his livelihood (he is now 31) and the field he works in.

just like no kid goes to school at age 6 wearing diapers, by the time your kid is 13 he will know his alphabet and be reading.
let him be a kid

Old 07-04-2018, 08:41 AM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
also the best advice i was ever given and i followed through on it and it was right
was to read to my kids every night at bedtime.
i did this and we all loved it.
continue this even well past the time they can read themselves and read their own books.
still read to them at bedtime every night.
it amazed me that even when they were 15, 16, 17 they still wanted to be read to, so we kept right on doing that. by then it was novels they picked out, and i loved it.

they are now 31, 31, and 33, and when they visit, yup they sprawl on the bed and the couch and the air mattress on the floor and they ask to be read to. when i fall asleep or get tired (earlier than they do these days) they turn on the audio books and continue.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:09 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Step 0: Don't be concerned. Kids learn at different rates and by different ways.

I had a kid that at 18 months could name and point out planets in the solar system, all letters and numbers up to 30. Another one of my kids couldn't recognize many letters until he was 4.5. However, by age 5, both kids knew pretty much about the same.

If you want to help your kid, consider ways to help him learn letters. Try a few different methods. There are many games out there that can make learning letters fun for them. It'll keep them engaged. My youngest had a "sound board." In "easy mode" it would simply ask "Press C" and if he didn't press it right, it would say "Cat starts with C" and the "C" button would have a picture of a cat. That worked for him.

I also had a magnet puzzle with all the letters on there and he'd have to place them in alphabetical order - that also helped.

However, don't be stressed. And do NOT say "Your brother Billy could do all of this at 3! Why can't you?" That is not very encouraging.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:45 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,403 times
Quote:
For crying out loud - he is THREE YEARS OLD!!! Let him be a child. There is no academic benefit to pushing your kids early. The very best thing you can do for him is read to him regularly and foster a love of reading. When you're reading, ask questions, e.g. "what do you think he will do next", "why do you think he made that choice", etc. My oldest three could not read anything before kindergarten (the last one read at four simply because I was the others at that particular time and he wanted to learn too). Not only were none of them behind their peers, two of them skipped grades.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:18 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Dude, I was an ADVANCED reader as a child. I read my first novel/chapter book (Judy Blume's Superfudge) well before I started kindergarten. My parents read to me daily. They did not pressure me (at least not back then). I read because I saw them reading and because I loved stories. I wanted MORE stories. So let your child see you reading. Tell him stories. Read to him. If you pressure him from such an early age, I promise you he will either buck or break somewhere down the line and you will not have a desirable outcome.

I eventually graduated high school as valedictorian and then got my degree from an Ivy League school. At 3, you'd be lucky to have me identifying ANY letters. Dial it WAY back.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Dude, I was an ADVANCED reader as a child. I read my first novel/chapter book (Judy Blume's Superfudge) well before I started kindergarten. My parents read to me daily. They did not pressure me (at least not back then). I read because I saw them reading and because I loved stories. I wanted MORE stories. So let your child see you reading. Tell him stories. Read to him. If you pressure him from such an early age, I promise you he will either buck or break somewhere down the line and you will not have a desirable outcome.

I eventually graduated high school as valedictorian and then got my degree from an Ivy League school. At 3, you'd be lucky to have me identifying ANY letters. Dial it WAY back.
My parents read to me too. My mom was an elementary school teacher for over 40 years. She was teaching 1st 2nd and 3rd grade. She was always reading for me. She was born in 1945 and very old school. My dad was teaching HS. Electronics teacher. This was in Sweden.

However, I wasn't that interested. I was not a very good student either. I shaped up later on in life instead.
My best friend , her parents were HS dropouts. We laugh about it now. But her life was nothing like mine.
I had every opportunity to succeed academically, and she had none. She is making very good money now and I make ok money.

Idk...you are smart. You process things faster than many people. I had to study hours upon hours and I still had a hard time processing the information I was reading. I am not sure if it is a learning disability...but I managed to get a degree and I make ok money now. My husband makes very good money so we are doing fine financially.

Now, my children. I have a 12 year old boy. He has ADHD and he is about 2 years behind his peers in maturity. Academically he is where he should be. He loves science. He watches the science channel whenever he gets a chance. But he struggles still with hw, remembering to turn things in etc. Very frustrating. I am a little worried about him

My daughter is 4 years old. She is popular at daycare with her friends, she has a lot of friends at day care. She is funny and witty. I am not worried about her at all. She will fit in and make it just fine.

OP, your child is 3 years old. Don't worry. My mom always said all kids learn at different rates. So please don't worry. Some kids can read at 3 and some don't learn until the end of kindergarten. Eventually they all catch up.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 07-05-2018 at 11:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting