Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 08:00 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
With the teen moms it was understandable. They were young, and most, while quite intelligent, didn't have a lot of education. The 30 somethings who make up the anti-vax movement-no, I quite agree with you.
I suggest you do a Google search for "Grandparents refusing to get Flu and Tdap vaccinations". It is not only 30 somethings. Now, wouldn't you think people of this age, who have seen and lived through all these diseases firsthand, would be the most staunch supporters of vaccines? Go on some sites. Read the comments. It might surprise you the ages of some of these people. Impossible? Media only portrays what they want you to hear.

I am a Grandma of two, soon to be three. My 30 something daughter believes in choice and none of her business whether others vaccinate or not. She does vaccinate her own children (her choice), but she would never attempt to tell me, or others, what to do. Ah, those Millennials!

Edit: I am only relating this since it is a Parenting thread. Grandparents don't fit into the equation?

Old 08-14-2018, 08:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I suggest you do a Google search for "Grandparents refusing to get Flu and Tdap vaccinations". It is not only 30 somethings. Now, wouldn't you think people of this age, who have seen and lived through all these diseases firsthand, would be the most staunch supporters of vaccines? Go on some sites. Read the comments. It might surprise you the ages of some of these people. Impossible? Media only portrays what they want you to hear.

I am a Grandma of two, soon to be three. My 30 something daughter believes in choice and none of her business whether others vaccinate or not. She does vaccinate her own children (her choice), but she would never attempt to tell me, or others, what to do. Ah, those Millennials!

Edit: I am only relating this since it is a Parenting thread. Grandparents don't fit into the equation?
Not the point I was trying to make. It's understandable for teens to be afraid of, or at least squeamish about shots. It's not understandable for 30 something mothers, or 60+ something grandmothers to be afraid of them.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:37 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
It all boils down to informed consent and the ability to make medical decisions with the help of one’s doctor, not via overbearing coercion from the government that take away all choice.

Vaccines, like any other medication have risks. Not all VPD carry the same risk and not all vaccines carry the same risk. Science is an ever evolving field and there are a lot of things that we don’t yet know. People should be allowed to make informed choices when it comes to their health and not be bullied for it.

I highly recommend taking the five minutes to watch the YouTube clip that nobody’s business shared as the woman in the video says what many are trying to articulate, very well.

Last edited by MissTerri; 08-14-2018 at 09:33 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 09:24 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
your not ignorant?? yet you are on every anti-vax thread pushing the anti-vax propaganda (along with a few other conspiracy theory's you prescribe to)

vaccines are safe...nuff said
Ha ha! The pro-vaxers must be so glad to have someone so intelligent on their side!

Old 08-14-2018, 10:33 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It all boils down to informed consent and the ability to make medical decisions with the help of one’s doctor, not via overbearing coercion from the government that take away all choice.

Vaccines, like any other medication have risks. Not all VPD carry the same risk and not all vaccines carry the same risk. Science is an ever evolving field and there are a lot of things that we don’t yet know. People should be allowed to make informed choices when it comes to their health and not be bullied for it.

I highly recommend taking the five minutes to watch the YouTube clip that nobody’s business shared as the woman in the video says what many are trying to articulate, very well.
Government doesn't take away all your "choice" when it comes to vaccines.

The flu vaccine is only mandated for a few employees at a few businesses. Its not mandated for school children or anyone else.

The pneumonia vaccine is recommended, but not mandated for seniors.

The shingles vaccine is recommended, but not mandated for seniors.

The childhood vaccines are mandated, but most state laws are riddled with loopholes that allow exemptions for religious belief and sometimes personal choice.

The HPV vaccine is not mandated for children.

In essence, the only real mandate is a handful of states that require school age children to receive vaccines. The California law is limited to those children who wish to enroll in public schools. Since home schooling is an option, this is not a real mandate.

Science is an evolving field, but what is misleading about your post is the degree to which it is still evolving. The disputes are over things like how much vaccine should be given and when, not whether a particular vaccine is unreasonably dangerous.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:01 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcass View Post
Isn't it ironic to think that the same parents who make baseless, ungrounded arguments that vaccines are harmful and cause autism are probably the same parents who feed their children unhealthy, garbage fast food. Idiots.
I don't know, but I know a woman who has a son with autism. He's probably about 20 now and low-functioning. She blames it on vaccines, but I can remember when her son was an infant and toddler how she would snatch up every toy as soon as he was done playing with it and run to the sink and scrub it with some kind of cleanser. I mean SCRUB it, with this wild look of determination on her face as if she was going to obliterate any potential germ that the toy might have picked up from her overly-clean floor. I can still picture her at the sink with a ball and Mr. Clean or something and a plastic net scrubber going to town on the thing. He must have played with it for two minutes.

And it makes me wonder.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:12 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know, but I know a woman who has a son with autism. He's probably about 20 now and low-functioning. She blames it on vaccines, but I can remember when her son was an infant and toddler how she would snatch up every toy as soon as he was done playing with it and run to the sink and scrub it with some kind of cleanser. I mean SCRUB it, with this wild look of determination on her face as if she was going to obliterate any potential germ that the toy might have picked up from her overly-clean floor. I can still picture her at the sink with a ball and Mr. Clean or something and a plastic net scrubber going to town on the thing. He must have played with it for two minutes.

And it makes me wonder.
I remember when my ex and I had our first child, our daughter, we were pretty anal about keeping things clean and antiseptic.

That changed when she was about 3 months old, and I walked into the living room, and there she was laying on the floor with our Irish Setter, and busily sucking its paw. She survived that episode, and after we laughed our head off and worried for days, she was OK as can be.

She's 40 now, with three kids, growing up with rabbits, goats, dogs and a cat. The kids clean up after the animals.

AND, they all have all recommended vaccines.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Government doesn't take away all your "choice" when it comes to vaccines.

The flu vaccine is only mandated for a few employees at a few businesses. Its not mandated for school children or anyone else.

The pneumonia vaccine is recommended, but not mandated for seniors.

The shingles vaccine is recommended, but not mandated for seniors.

The childhood vaccines are mandated, but most state laws are riddled with loopholes that allow exemptions for religious belief and sometimes personal choice.

The HPV vaccine is not mandated for children.

In essence, the only real mandate is a handful of states that require school age children to receive vaccines. The California law is limited to those children who wish to enroll in public schools. Since home schooling is an option, this is not a real mandate.

Science is an evolving field, but what is misleading about your post is the degree to which it is still evolving. The disputes are over things like how much vaccine should be given and when, not whether a particular vaccine is unreasonably dangerous.
Good points. Much as I hate to disagree with pro-vax people, there are some points of clarification I'd like to make. California law applies to private schools as well. OTOH, California does not require the entire vaccine schedule for school attendance.
Here the CA requirements:
Shots Required for K-12 | ShotsForSchool.org
For kids admitted to CA schools at ages 7-17, note that 4 doses of DTaP is less than what the CDC recommends. (No wonder CA has so much pertussis!) The CDC recommends 5, with 4 doses only if the 4th was given after the 4th birthday, not the 2nd. Ditto polio, while the CDC recommends the same as CA (4), 3 is only OK if the 3rd was given after the 4th birthday.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedul...dolescent.html
See footnote 3 (catch-up) for DTaP and footnote 6 (catch-up) for polio.

Hep B is not required in CA for kids admitted to CA schools at ages 7-17. HPV nor Menactra is not required for middle/high school.

In point of fact, most states have similar laws.

There is really no dispute over how much vaccine should be given and when from country to country. There are some minor differences. Some countries don't start vaccines until 3 months, instead of 2 months like the US. Some give baby shots monthly, instead of every two months. Some give vaccines we don't give, such as Meningitis B and/or C for infants; BCG either for everyone or special groups, HPV only for girls. Virtually all countries in the EU except Finland have added Hep B to their schedules; we were just ahead of them. Few other countries give Hepatitis A as a part of their routine schedule, e.g. in the EU just Austria and Greece. I believe the US is the only country to recommend flu vaccine for everyone >6 months of age. Several other countries start Hep B at birth, including Australia. You are certainly correct that no country has declared any vaccine dangerous.
https://vaccine-schedule.ecdc.europa...AgeGroup=false
Vaccination: Australian Standard Vaccination Schedule - myDr.com.au
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...-children.html

Old 08-15-2018, 02:13 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
https://jbhandleyblog.com/home/2018/8/12/hotspotshoax

Old 08-15-2018, 02:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
You do know that Handley's BA is in East Asian Studies and Economics (From Stanford U, but not in any kind of science).

He has no scientific credibility. He founded Generation Rescue because he could not accept that his son could not be *cured* of autism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.