Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
"Public school" has long been considered to start at kindergarten; it's just recently that pre-school has started to be included.
It wasn't that long ago that there was no kindergarten and public school started at 1st grade.

In 1856, Margarethe Schurz founded the first kindergarten in Watertown, Wisconsin

https://www.educationnext.org/what-h...ent-universal/

Quote:
Over the first half of the 20th century, kindergartens slowly became incorporated into urban schools, at the same time gaining partial funding through local taxes. As late as the mid-1960s, however, such programs continued to rely heavily on local resources, as only 26 states and the District of Columbia helped fund kindergarten costs. There were remarkable changes over the next decade, however: Between 1966 and 1975, 19 states began funding kindergarten for the first time. The majority of these states were in the South, but the West was also well represented. By the late 1970s, only two states—Mississippi and North Dakota—did not fund kindergarten programs.
Also
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...arten/4455283/

Quote:
The percentage of kindergartners attending full-day programs has grown from about 10% in the 1970s to about 76% in 2012, with a steep increase from 2002 to 2006, according to Child Trends, a non-profit research center. While some programs took a hit during the recession, several states have taken action recently to expand access to full-day kindergarten. Part-day kindergarten typically last two or three hours, while full-day kindergarten can range from four to seven hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 02:04 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
OP, I'm confused....how old is your child? 3, 4 or 5? Most entities label 3 as Preschool, 4 as Pre-Kindergarten and 5 as Kindergarten an it often does make a difference.

First the only expectation one can have in Texas regarding young children is finding Kindergarten in every public school (yes even though it's not required) and having a multitude of choices for those not yet of Kindergarten age that have varying costs, hours and curriculum.

Some public schools districts do offer a Pre-K program that is almost always half day and is usually for 4 yr olds and not at every school in the district. Most of these are limited in space and only accept those who meet certain criteria-child does not speak English, financially disadvantaged, military family, homeless or in foster care.

Anything other than that will have to be covered by child care of some sort with the parents having to foot the bill.

There is a notion to eventually get free Pre-K in all schools, but it's slow in coming.
He is 4. He cannot attend kindergarten until next year, when he will be almost 6 due to a late birthday. The only way for him to attend kindergarten instead of PreK AGAIN this year as he started PreK3 last fall (I feel like he just keeps learning the same things over and over) would be to pass the 3rd grade STAAR test, which seems ridiculous lol if he can pass that, I think he should go into 4th grade! lol

When I first found out I was pregnant, I was hoping to test him into kinder early, but then I found out that there is not all day kinder everywhere and that we would probably still have to pay a ridiculous amount of daycare whether he was in school or not (And, also, the weird law about passing a 3rd grade test-which I'm assuming is because they do not want children to come early due to resources or class size?). Really the only time we would catch a financial break would be 1st grade. Unless we move...to another district where it's different. It just seems strange to me that public school education is not state mandated everywhere. but I guess there are different socioeconomic backgrounds they have to take into consideration. I am not sure how it all works.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It wasn't that long ago that there was no kindergarten and public school started at 1st grade.

In 1856, Margarethe Schurz founded the first kindergarten in Watertown, Wisconsin

https://www.educationnext.org/what-h...ent-universal/

Also
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...arten/4455283/
It was also a norm for one parent to be home, as well. Economics have changed and a lot of household incomes have two working parents. The times are slow to change and catch up as more parents are having to work.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:09 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
It was also a norm for one parent to be home, as well. Economics have changed and a lot of household incomes have two working parents. The times are slow to change and catch up as more parents are having to work.
I am not sure what you mean times are slow to catch up. Public education was never intended to be free child care for working parents. While I am not opposed to it, it would have to have a totally different funding and legislative approach and conversation.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:11 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I never attended pre-school.

Yikes!! How could my parents have made such a life altering decision to forgo my education?!?!?!?

(By the way, I graduated from a Top-50 ranked national university in the US.)

You could've gone to a Top-10 school had you attended pre-school!

Old 08-22-2018, 02:26 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksobotka View Post
I’m utterly floored that full day kindergarten was not always and isn’t a given in public schools across the country. It never occurred to me that this could differ.
Both of my girls attended 1/2 day Kindergarten (5-7 years ago) in Illinois and they hated it! Most of Illinois had gone to a full day program except our school district and so Illinois curriculum was geared toward all day. In our 1/2 day program they had to cram a full day of work into 2 1/2 hours. No recess, no playing, just work! Once they went to first grade and had recess, art, music, etc., they loved school again.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am not sure what you mean times are slow to catch up. Public education was never intended to be free child care for working parents. While I am not opposed to it, it would have to have a totally different funding and legislative approach and conversation.
Maybe not then but a lot of parents are working now and need their children to go somewhere to learn, usually for a full day and earlier than 1st grade. There should be more resources for parents who work.

Aside from free public school, the fact was I even had a hard time finding a daycare that was open year round. It is not like most parents get a month off for christmas and don't work during the summers, and yet, that is all I could find for daycare in this area. It took MONTHS for us to find the preschool/daycare he is in now. With both parents working, you would think times would change to catch up and provide safe daycares, affordable daycares, more resources.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:54 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I suppose they assume that the children who don’t speak English, or are otherwise handicapped, NEED the preschool, but for the rest of you, the children will be ready for kindergarten without it.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I suppose they assume that the children who don’t speak English, or are otherwise handicapped, NEED the preschool, but for the rest of you, the children will be ready for kindergarten without it.
That could be why.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:12 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
He is 4. He cannot attend kindergarten until next year, when he will be almost 6 due to a late birthday. The only way for him to attend kindergarten instead of PreK AGAIN this year as he started PreK3 last fall (I feel like he just keeps learning the same things over and over) would be to pass the 3rd grade STAAR test, which seems ridiculous lol if he can pass that, I think he should go into 4th grade! lol

When I first found out I was pregnant, I was hoping to test him into kinder early, but then I found out that there is not all day kinder everywhere and that we would probably still have to pay a ridiculous amount of daycare whether he was in school or not (And, also, the weird law about passing a 3rd grade test-which I'm assuming is because they do not want children to come early due to resources or class size?). Really the only time we would catch a financial break would be 1st grade. Unless we move...to another district where it's different. It just seems strange to me that public school education is not state mandated everywhere. but I guess there are different socioeconomic backgrounds they have to take into consideration. I am not sure how it all works.
Getting a 4 yr old into Kindergarten is virtually impossible since it isn't required. I believe the only law on the books regarding starting K is that you have to be 5 by September 1. After that it is up to the school districts to accept or not and perhaps the district you mention has set the standard at passing the 3rd grade staar?

If you are concerned about what they are learning academically, find out what is expected for Kindergarten and see if he is actually ready for that. If so, then you could always look into a child care center that has a private Kindergarten where he could continue to advance, or a private school as neither are bound by the Sept 1 law.

Also, speaking from experience you will find that the financial break isn't near what you think it will be. School supplies, lunch costs, fundraisers, school picture packages, book fairs, yearbooks, school t-shirts and so on add up quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting