Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 08:17 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallie225 View Post
Our local library is great but the past few times I've gone, my child ended up with a stomach bug. Vomiting, high fever...twice now. Should I contact management to ask about their cleaning practices? Do they Lysol the toys? I'll just take him to another library....what would you do?
It's the other kids there. Not the library. If you think it's not clean enough, stop going there. Libraries are not free day care centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 09:49 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I have to agree with this. I was not a hand-sanitizer mom at all. My kids did get the flu (influenza) once when they were 6 and 8. And they picked up stomach viruses a handful of times, and of course colds. But they weren't excessively sick... I'm talking about a few times per year they had a cold and maybe once per year or once every two years a stomach bug when they were young. They are teens now and don't catch stomach bugs anymore... haven't in years. They do still get one or two colds per year, though. Normal handwashing seems to be good enough, and we're not militant about it. Obviously after bathroom use and before cooking/preparing food, and if we go somewhere crowded, a bit more often than that.
Interesting...My Mom was a school nurse...This isn't scientific at all, but she noticed that the kids of the parents that wouldn't touch the door knob, sanitized every single time, wouldn't touch the school pen, all got sick a lot more often.

She always pointed out that taking procedures they take in a Hospital are appropriate for a hospital. And what's appropriate in a barn isn't appropriate indoors. She always disinfected her office, because her office was where sick kids came. But she didn't do that at home because she knew that some level of exposure to pathogens is ultimately important.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:09 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
Also OP did it occur to you that maybe the fast food place is making your special snowflake sick? Just a thought.
Both Rota & Norovirus are exacerbated by eating potatoes ... as in french fries, potato chips, mashed potatoes etc ...

I know that sounds crazy but I worked on a quarantined pediatric unit during a rotavirus outbreak & literally saw patients discharged then readmitted because the parents stopped at a fast food place to "celebrate" getting out of the hospital & had to come back with a kid puking fries everywhere.

This played out at home as well; my kids could go 24-48 hrs without vomiting but if they got a hold of potato chips, they would start all over again.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:14 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Both Rota & Norovirus are exacerbated by eating potatoes ... as in french fries, potato chips, mashed potatoes etc ...

I know that sounds crazy but I worked on a quarantined pediatric unit during a rotavirus outbreak & literally saw patients discharged then readmitted because the parents stopped at a fast food place to "celebrate" getting out of the hospital & had to come back with a kid puking fries everywhere.

This played out at home as well; my kids could go 24-48 hrs without vomiting but if they got a hold of potato chips, they would start all over again.
It sounds crazy because it is crazy. The kid should have been on a bland diet. It's more likely the grease. Boiled potatoes are actually suggested food when you have a stomach virus.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:04 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Interesting...My Mom was a school nurse...This isn't scientific at all, but she noticed that the kids of the parents that wouldn't touch the door knob, sanitized every single time, wouldn't touch the school pen, all got sick a lot more often.

She always pointed out that taking procedures they take in a Hospital are appropriate for a hospital. And what's appropriate in a barn isn't appropriate indoors. She always disinfected her office, because her office was where sick kids came. But she didn't do that at home because she knew that some level of exposure to pathogens is ultimately important.
Yep. Because they haven't built up their immune systems. The sickest kids I know have those 'hand sanitizer' and 'mouthwash' parents. Yes, they make the kids gargle mouthwash after being around other people. The kids have been on more antibiotics in their short lives than anyone else I know. Which kills more gut flora ... which makes them more susceptible to be sick ... which means more hand sanitizer, mouthwash and antibiotics ... and then they get sick ... round and round and round ...

Old 12-04-2018, 11:06 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Real influenza or some stomach bug you're calling "flu"?

WRT toys: I worked in a pediatrician's office and we kept toy boxes in each exam room. The question of disease transmission came up one bad flu season. One of the younger doctors said there was research that flu isn't spread via toys. He never showed us the studies, but we kept the toy boxes. Mayo Clinic has some good information: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20057907
"Cold and flu virus-laden droplets may remain infectious for several hours, depending on where they fall... Viruses generally remain active longer on stainless steel, plastic and similar hard surfaces than on fabric and other soft surfaces... It's possible to catch the flu or a cold after handling an object an infected person sneezed or coughed on a few moments ago. But personal contact with an infected person — such as a handshake or breathing in droplets from a cough or sneeze — is the most common way these viruses spread." For flu, "Most importantly — get a flu vaccine every year."

I agree with all the others who said handwashing is very important.
You can give toys at the library and stainless steel counters a flu vaccine? Wow, good to know. /facepalm/

Old 12-04-2018, 11:08 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You can give toys at the library and stainless steel counters a flu vaccine? Wow, good to know. /facepalm/
That's not what she said

Old 12-04-2018, 11:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Yep. Because they haven't built up their immune systems. The sickest kids I know have those 'hand sanitizer' and 'mouthwash' parents. Yes, they make the kids gargle mouthwash after being around other people. The kids have been on more antibiotics in their short lives than anyone else I know. Which kills more gut flora ... which makes them more susceptible to be sick ... which means more hand sanitizer, mouthwash and antibiotics ... and then they get sick ... round and round and round ...
That's not how the immune system works, which you have been informed of many times. The immune system of a healthy person knows what to do when an "invader" enters the body. No "training" etc, necessary. The hygiene hypothesis has never moved on to more than a hypothesis in 20 years or more. It's way more complicated than the dirt eaters think.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
That's not what she said
No, Kibbiekat, it's not, and thank you for that. ntv says stuff like that frequently, especially to people known to be pro-vaccine and always gets away with it.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:49 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It sounds crazy because it is crazy. The kid should have been on a bland diet. It's more likely the grease. Boiled potatoes are actually suggested food when you have a stomach virus.
I'd agree it's crazy to take your kid to a fast food joint if they were sick enough to have been hospitalized but I stand by my potato observation.

Potato chips aren't a good idea either & I certainly didn't hand them out but one year; I had 6 kids at home all sick with Noro. The schools even closed for a few days for "cleaning". I managed to get all 6 of them on clear-liquids but 3 of them swindled their dad into giving them just a few chips. The 3 that didn't eat them, were on solid food the next day while the three that did were puking all night.

My grandson caught Noro last year & the last thing I told my son when he picked him up was "No potatoes!" & he just looked at me weird & left. The next day he called me & said; "What's up with the potatoes?"

After my grandson had kept clear liquids down for 24hrs; he gave him some plain, boiled potatoes & the kid started vomiting an hour later.

My point per the thread was that the OP thought her kid had caught a virus twice, after both trips to the library but may have caught it just the first time & it was the french fries from the fast food place that started the vomiting again; not necessarily the infection.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
I still find it weird that it's common practice to sanitize toys at a library? Do schools sanitize toys? What about dr's offices? There are toys in the waiting room there and I can only imagine how many germs are on those.
Daycares and preschools sanitize toys on a regular schedule. I don't know about doctors offices but I would imagine most doctors do since they are aware of the possibilities. I don't know about libraries, but I would think they would also do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting