Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 10:06 AM

989 posts, read 2,442,293 times

Advertisements

What are some money saving tips for a dual-parent/dual-working household with a 1st born newborn child? E.g. "shop at Costco".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 10:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
What are some money saving tips for a dual-parent/dual-working household with a 1st born newborn child? E.g. "shop at Costco".
Store-brand diapers work just as well as brand-name diapers. You may try different types to see which you prefer.

Do the math to be sure your salaries justify the cost of day care. See if it makes sense to have one parent stay home with the baby.

Shop at consignment stores for clothing and short-term large items like exersaucers etc

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...SABEgKTqfD_BwE

Don't hesitate to accept hand-me-downs from other parents. Most infant clothes just aren't worn that long.

You also should go over your own personal spending habits anyway to see where you may be overspending, i.e. leasing vehicles or buying new instead of used; over-use of credit cards, etc.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:40 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I think the most important thing is to realize that children grow very quickly, so always keep that in mind when shopping and stick to the basics. Breastfeeding is much more frugal than formula feeding, but in a dual-income family, that may not be possible beyond the first few weeks of leave. Newborns really need very little beyond a safe place to sleep, clothing, diapers, and your love and attention. Car seats are best bought new, but most other baby gear can be hand-me-down. If your community uses Nextdoor, that's a great place to find gently-used clothing and other essentials. I used sling to carry my babies until they were big enough for a sturdy umbrella stroller. Umbrella strollers are generally less expensive and easier to stow than the huge contraptions that I see most parents hauling in and out of cars today.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-24-2018 at 11:31 AM..

Old 11-24-2018, 11:23 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Beyond the tips related to savings on baby items, think about your entire budget.

Consider using one day on the weekend for shopping and food prep for the week to avoid restaurant meals. There are also lots of websites that detail shopping and cooking plans for a month and then freezing. This will save you time and money.

Bring lunches from home: leftovers or something else.

Buy a good travel cup and bring coffee from home instead of buying it at a Starbucks daily. Same thing for bottled water.

Take advantage when/if grandparents volunteer to babysit for a night. There are lots of inexpensive possibilities for date nights if you look for them.

Make baby food instead of purchasing most of it. Bananas are easy to mash and can be frozen in serving size amounts in ice cube trays and stored in a ziploc. A few minutes in a pan of hot water or seconds in the microwave will thaw and warm it. Different types of squash are easy to roast. Bagged frozen peas or green beans can be cooked and mashed. Sweet potatoes are microwaved in minutes. You don't need special equipment to do this. A typical kitchen blender is fine. If a food is too thick for baby add a little breast milk or formula. As my first child reached the age when she no longer needed baby food, but wasn't quite ready for all adult foods, I prepped her dinners when I made ours. They were basic/easy. Poached chicken cut into VERY small pieces, bits of ground beef, mashed sweet potatoes, pasta, etc.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:40 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Join a parenting exchange group online and buy clothes second-hand.

Pump breastmilk or buy store-brand formula (Target's Up & Up is good).

Check for home-based child care.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:16 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
Find a good consignment sale and buy as much used as you can. It's good for your wallet and the environment. There is a twice a year sale near me that I've been shopping at since I was pregnant and we have saved an absolute fortune.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Moderator cut: deleted quoted post
OP, find consignment sales in your area. Buy stuff there, then resell it when you're done.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-25-2018 at 06:23 AM..

Old 11-25-2018, 07:27 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Disposable diapers are a big expense. Consider using cloth diapers. Breastfeed instead of formula. I'll add my vote for consignment shops for purchasing used clothing, but also include thrift shops, tag sales.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:46 AM

75 posts, read 62,803 times
Start a college savings plan now, and make yearly contributions to it. You will be happy you did 17 to 18 years from now. And if your kid does not go to college or gets a scholarship, you can use it for yourself. I am talking about a regular savings plan, not a Uniform Gift to Minors or a 529 plan.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:34 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Breastfeed- biggest money saver ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting