Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:21 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,242,098 times

Advertisements

I removed my 14 YO's bedroom door this evening. He was warned not to slam it when he got upset. He did not heed the warning. The door has been removed.

How long do you think I should keep it off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 PM

431 posts, read 1,643,109 times
I would say a week or two. long enough to let him see how awful it is without any privacy and how easily we can all take things for granted. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:38 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,058,855 times
LOL!!! Way To Go!!!!! Love seeing a parent that follows through like you did!
Id go for the week as well...and let it be known, that each following offence of slamming will have another week added to the previous time!
Hows he handling it btw?
Tiff

Old 04-07-2008, 09:51 PM

303 posts, read 982,053 times
I too agree that one good solid week is good, and do not give in. Teenagers have a way of warming up to a parents heart. Make a week stick.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,385,668 times
My mom did that to me when I was in 9th grade. She left it off for more then a week. It was torture and I didn't slam it in her face again after that.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:21 PM

7 posts, read 20,103 times
1 week first offense and when it is time to put it on have them do it. If they do this again make them take it off next time

Old 04-08-2008, 02:52 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,229,777 times
Considering the warnings given and how totally disrespectful slammning the door is, I say way to go as well. Especially on the follow through part. I think a lot of times threats are issued but no follow through is provided and this just undermines the parent.

In anycase... I'd have to agree 1 week is probably good here. However, before that door goes back up again, I would sit the teen down and have a serious conversation about why the door was removed, why the behavior is inappropriate, what the expectations are in your home and what will happen if the behavior is ever repeated again. Mind you, I am sure that you already have stated those things but with kids sometimes it bears repeating, especially if they are just not getting it. Perhaps seeing you truly meant business will aid in that getting it part.

I would say that if the door is put back up and the behavior repeats itself, doesn't matter how much time has gone by, next time it will be 2 weeks, then 3 weeks then 4 weeks... until the message is received loud and clear that this behavior will not be accepted.

Again good job.. and good luck.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:25 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,242,098 times
Thanks team CD! I woke up this morning and saw his open door and felt guilty... NO, NOT GUILTY ENOUGHT CAVE IN!

One week it is.

Bigtdog- I don't think he can put it back up alone- but neither can I, so I guess it will be a mother- child bonding experience when the time comes to rehang it.

And Tiff- as to your question of how is he handling it? He hasn't said too much to me and is getting dressed in the bathroom this morning

Old 04-08-2008, 04:32 AM

893 posts, read 795,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I removed my 14 YO's bedroom door this evening. He was warned not to slam it when he got upset. He did not heed the warning. The door has been removed.

How long do you think I should keep it off?
Oh this brought back such fun memories. We did that with our daughter at just the same age. I think hers was gone for six months but it was for something far worse than slamming the door. Good punishment though especially for a girl.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:08 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,994,283 times
Good for you, mama! I think a week is perfect... I bet he won't do THAT again! Good for you for following through and not letting him get away with bad behavior!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting