Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 04:19 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,237,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
May I suggest that you at least let him TRY to rehang the door by himself? It may serve as a lesson to him that he is capable of doing such a "man" thing and help his self esteem. If he has trouble doing it himself, then it can be good mom/ son time!
I just want to thank you for this excellent suggestion, Capt. When it was time for the door to go back up, I asked my son if he wanted to do it or if he wanted me to do it. He immediately said that he wanted to do it, so I told him that he may need me to hold it up, but to let me know and I will come help him. He did need the help, but I let him direct me, while he screwed in all the screws.

He did a great job and when he tested it out and it worked just find he exclaimed, "Alright, I did it!"

I don't think that door will be slamming again.

Thanks for all the support, CD parents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 10:33 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,505,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I just want to thank you for this excellent suggestion, Capt. When it was time for the door to go back up, I asked my son if he wanted to do it or if he wanted me to do it. He immediately said that he wanted to do it, so I told him that he may need me to hold it up, but to let me know and I will come help him. He did need the help, but I let him direct me, while he screwed in all the screws.

He did a great job and when he tested it out and it worked just find he exclaimed, "Alright, I did it!"

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
May I suggest that you at least let him TRY to rehang the door by himself? It may serve as a lesson to him that he is capable of doing such a "man" thing and help his self esteem. If he has trouble doing it himself, then it can be good mom/ son time!
Quote:

I just received reps for this old thread, so I guess folks are still reading it and thought I would update everyone.

He is 16 now and the door hasn't been slammed one single time. I never expected it to work so well.

The reason that it did, IMO, is that I didn't nut up on him as I was doing it. I've read that some parents really yell and stuff when they are getting into it with their teens. LOL.......I jest, as I have SO been there....while that has the immediate positive effect on me of blowing off steam, it's never really worked in the long term.

Instead I just walked up, knocked on the door, he opened it and I proceeded to calmly unscrew it from the frame.

Have recently addressed another door-related issue with my 13 YO GD........ THE LOCKED DOOR

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 12-12-2009 at 07:41 AM..

Old 12-12-2009, 07:56 AM

Default The Locked Door is No More....

I am not opposed to my kids locking their bedroom doors. We all knock before going into eachother's room. If I knock and my son tells me he is getting dressed and will be right there, I will wait for him to come and open the door. It's all good.

HOWEVER.. my 13YO grand daughter (who lives with me), will not say a word when I knock. After a few seconds of nothing, I begin pounding and yelling at her to open the door. She then acts all insulted, saying, "I was getting out of bed to open it". To which I would reply, "It's not like you have a freaking bedroom suite, your bed is five feet from the door, how long can it take?" Repeat X number of times- same scenario, same results.

Putting my mommy hat back on, I regained my composure and made a modification to her door, removing her door knob and placing it and all the parts into a baggie.

She is now able to hear me much better- actually answering the door within seconds of my knock or else telling me that she is getting dressed and will be right there!

She has since modified her door, as she thinks we will peak in through the hole left in the door...
Attached Thumbnails
Slamming BR door- no door, no problem-doorknob.jpg  

Old 12-12-2009, 01:16 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,260,467 times
LOL..this is the first time I have read this thread and I haven't stopped laughing my butt off...LOL...

We have grandkids here too and maybe we can use this if needed...LOL...LOL..My wife needs to read this...LOL LOL LOL

Old 12-13-2009, 06:07 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,204,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I guess you ballsy moms just don't have ballsy kids. :P My mom took my door off when I was 14. The main purpose of my door was so I could walk around naked in the heat of the summer since air conditioning really didn't work in my room. So just because the door was gone didn't mean I was about to put clothes on. The door went right back on and my parents found a more appropriate punishment.

When they took my brother's door off, he took all the doors in the house off their hinges while they were at work and kept the pieces. Sure, he got in *more* trouble for that, but it was effective for him to keep his privacy!
My kids know better than to try to up the ante. It never ends well for them.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:10 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,204,590 times
Quote:
If my parents had disrespected me enough to take my doorknob off and never replace it, then they would have seen how the golden rule plays out.
And if my college-aged daughter displayed snotty and entitled behavior, she would suddenly find herself looking for an apartment, and filling out her own FAFSA.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
If my parents had disrespected me enough to take my doorknob off and never replace it, then they would have seen how the golden rule plays out.
The golden rule is as old as gold itself.

The person who has the gold makes the rules.

So, to your theory, I say- epic fail!

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 12-13-2009 at 07:58 AM..

Old 12-13-2009, 09:51 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,739,350 times
Quote:
The golden rule is as old as gold itself.

The person who has the gold makes the rules.

So, to your theory, I say- epic fail!

Oh I so agree with this post!! Seriously..... my first born tried some of this mouthing off stuff when he was a teenager...did not bode well for him at ALL. He did make the decision to move out before he was 18...his choice, when he discovered that there were rules that WOULD be followed....when he found out that he COULDN'T make the rules of the house and HE was not the head of the house and never WOULD be. And no, we did NOT support him after he left home, even though he was under 18. It was his choice, they were HIS consequences. Needless to say, I have not had the same issues with my younger 3 children! They know who the heads of this house are....who makes the rules, and that there are consequences for breaking them. Good for you parents out there who set boundaries and keep them.....AND impose consequences for stepping over the line. Because of you, there will be SOME future adults out there who know right from wrong and understand that there are consequences for both!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times
Quote:
I removed my 14 YO's bedroom door this evening. He was warned not to slam it when he got upset. He did not heed the warning. The door has been removed.

How long do you think I should keep it off?
I would say only after he genuinely apologizes and makes up in some way for his bad behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting