Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:40 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,373,633 times

Advertisements

My daughter locked me out of her room once. I took the door knob off and NEVER put it back on! We eventually moved. There is no reason to lock your door. Everyone is expected to KNOCK before opening a closed door and respect eachothers privacy. DO UNTO OTHERS. If you want your siblings to knock when your door is closed, make sure you give them the same respect.

I, of course, lock my door sometimes! They seem to think I never need privacy! No Mom needs privacy, right? Even if I'm in the shower or going to the bathroom they'll just walk right in! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 08:16 AM

15,878 posts, read 21,481,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
My daughter locked me out of her room once. I took the door knob off and NEVER put it back on! We eventually moved. There is no reason to lock your door. Everyone is expected to KNOCK before opening a closed door and respect eachothers privacy. DO UNTO OTHERS. If you want your siblings to knock when your door is closed, make sure you give them the same respect.

I, of course, lock my door sometimes! They seem to think I never need privacy! No Mom needs privacy, right? Even if I'm in the shower or going to the bathroom they'll just walk right in! LOL

Mmmhmm... No kid needs privacy either, right?

My parents have a habit of knocking once and then opening the door regardless of what the response is. That's they're way and in 20 years, I haven't been able to change it. I lock my door. When I go home, I still lock my door. Hell..even in COLLEGE I have to keep a huge sign on my door saying to knock first- most people I know just go for the doorknob.

If my parents had disrespected me enough to take my doorknob off and never replace it, then they would have seen how the golden rule plays out.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:45 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,217,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

My parents have a habit of knocking once and then opening the door regardless of what the response is. That's they're way and in 20 years, I haven't been able to change it. I lock my door. When I go home, I still lock my door. Hell..even in COLLEGE I have to keep a huge sign on my door saying to knock first- most people I know just go for the doorknob.

If my parents had disrespected me enough to take my doorknob off and never replace it, then they would have seen how the golden rule plays out.

Actually no I don't think a young child needs a locked door. What is a ten or 11 year old doing that requires a locked door. Truthfully most of the time they are getting into trouble. In my house there are no locks on the children's doors and there won't be. When they are adults and can be responsible for their actions then they can have a lock. While in my house, my rules.

This is a matter of making sure my children are safe. What if there is a fire and the child's door is locked from the inside.

You have to remember respect is a two way street. The actions of the child whose doorknob was removed caused the consequence. If the child had obeyed the rules then the doorknob would have stayed.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:16 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,503,830 times
May I suggest that you at least let him TRY to rehang the door by himself? It may serve as a lesson to him that he is capable of doing such a "man" thing and help his self esteem. If he has trouble doing it himself, then it can be good mom/ son time!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,950,644 times
"No kid needs privacy either, right?"

It's pretty easy to tell who is a parent on this thread, and who is still a child.

From your posts Char, I can tell that you and you brother do not respect your parents and you do not have children of your own. If a child of mine threatened "consequences" to me over a consequence of their behavior or removed a door as "retaliation", they would promptly learn that the law only requires me to provide them with food, shelter, clothing and an education... right up until their 18th birthday. Nothing required even a day after that.

The law does NOT require privacy, cell phones, birthday cakes, rides to school, money for prom, college, hair conditioner, make up, etc.

Goodwill clothes (2 pairs of pants, 2 tops, 2 pairs of panties, etc in any style I choose), a constant companion (me or their father), a cot in the living room, a very balanced diet -rutabaga, cabbage, brussel sprouts, tofu, powdered milk and unseasoned chicken (salt is so bad for children, ya know).

And if they don't like it? Well, let me dial the number for Child Services FOR you! Children in foster homes have it so good. That's why everyone's always raving about how wonderful the system is!

Okay, I ranted a bit... but this is a forum for PARENTING, not kids who are still mad at mommy and daddy for not getting them that IPOD for their birthday. Gimme a break!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:57 AM

20,365 posts, read 19,972,515 times
Quote:
charolastra00;3414445]......, then they would have seen how the golden rule plays out
Our son knows that he's guaranteed to end up on the losing end if he EVER threatens his mother or I with payback.

That's not even on our "things to wonder about" radar.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:18 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,234,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

I agree with the knocking issue- I did it from the time my kids we born- because my grandmother instilled that in me as a child.

Not to beat up on you, your experiences are those of a child and not of a parent, so of course that is your frame of reference. That said, I hope that if your folks are helping pay for your college that the golden rule will play out when they are old and need assistance. My goal is to raise kids that are successful enough that they can help keep me well taken care of when I am an old, old woman- LOL!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:56 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times
I do that often. 1st offense 1 week. Second offense 1 month. Third offense 1 year.

I did give in a bit and allow them to earn the door back early for exceptional behaviour over a long period of time.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
"No kid needs privacy either, right?"

It's pretty easy to tell who is a parent on this thread, and who is still a child.

From your posts Char, I can tell that you and you brother do not respect your parents and you do not have children of your own. If a child of mine threatened "consequences" to me over a consequence of their behavior or removed a door as "retaliation", they would promptly learn that the law only requires me to provide them with food, shelter, clothing and an education... right up until their 18th birthday. Nothing required even a day after that.

The law does NOT require privacy, cell phones, birthday cakes, rides to school, money for prom, college, hair conditioner, make up, etc.

Goodwill clothes (2 pairs of pants, 2 tops, 2 pairs of panties, etc in any style I choose), a constant companion (me or their father), a cot in the living room, a very balanced diet -rutabaga, cabbage, brussel sprouts, tofu, powdered milk and unseasoned chicken (salt is so bad for children, ya know).

And if they don't like it? Well, let me dial the number for Child Services FOR you! Children in foster homes have it so good. That's why everyone's always raving about how wonderful the system is!

Okay, I ranted a bit... but this is a forum for PARENTING, not kids who are still mad at mommy and daddy for not getting them that IPOD for their birthday. Gimme a break!
Went through this too. Our girls thought that they would teach us a lesson and we had some really egregious behaviour. Had to take everything out of their room. Absolutely everything.

Day 1 they earned back a pillow and slept on the floor.
Day 2. Earned back some clean underwear.
Day 3. they were really helpful around the house and earned back three full sets of clothing, a set of sheets and one stuffed toy.

By the end of the week they had their matresses back (but no beds yet).

About day 9 they wanted to have freinds over and not be embarrassed and really really wanted to earn back their furniture so they worked all day.

About 15 to 20 days out they started getting back things like game boy, TV etc. Then they had a tantrum more nastiness and bad behaviour and lost some things back.

In less than a month they had everything back. It was a very peaceful respectful month. We never had much trouble from them again. In about 7 years, I think that we had to ground them each once or twice for a day. That is the total extent of discipline. The message sunk in.

Now, 7 years later, they are awesome kids. They are really balanced, happy, and everyone thinks that they are wonderful, but they also know that we mean what we say when it comes to discilpine.

The door slammers mentioned above are their younger siblings. They are learning.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:14 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,151,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Our son knows that he's guaranteed to end up on the losing end if he EVER threatens his mother or I with payback.

That's not even on our "things to wonder about" radar.
Issuing a threat to either his g'mother or I, no matter HOW veiled it may be is tatamount to "selecting your own date of death"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting