Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 05:09 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times

Advertisements

I'd steer her to horses, but see what she really likes. She may want to do something more than having a horse ranch and by the way, she can probably make good money owning and running a boarding stable. Is she taking riding lessons? If she's 11, this is a very good time to start this. She may find herself drawn to rodeo, show jumping, dressage, driving, or endurance racing. She may find she wants to work with a certain breed of horse. In that case, she may end up a trainer or someone who shows horses for a living.

There are famous horse stables that have tours. That's something she could do now and ask a lot of questions. There are also horse clinics she might be able to attend and you could also take her to horse shows after finding out what discipline she's interested in.

At one time, Bazy Tankersley had a program for people to learn about horses and work on her Arabian ranch. One of my friends did that. I'm sure there are other horse farms that do the same thing, although I think your daughter would have to be over 18 to do that.

https://www.al-marah.com/

But if she wants a horse business, the best way is to see how a business is run firsthand by working in one. Check out the Spruce Meadows website.

https://www.sprucemeadows.com/careers/

Another way to learn about horses is online. There are live events on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/feichan...able_polymer=1 and also videos used to teach about horses from FEI https://campus.fei.org/ and USEF https://www.usef.org/learning-center

There's lots more out there than being a vet. This should give you a starting point, anyway.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 04-18-2019 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 06:32 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
At 11 years old, unless your child is uniquely gifted or a child genius. I wouldn't bother planning just yet.

Your kid would end up hating you and rebelling against your controlling behavior.

Nurture your child to have a good education and common sense. Develop their character and not steer them towards your own preferences.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:29 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
She's 11. It could change.

I wanted to be an astronaut @ 11. (I'm currently NOT an astronaut)

I don't think you should worry about it right now. Just let her be a kid. See where the chips fall later on in life.

If she doesn't do this as a job, there is nothing saying she can't always do it as a hobby.
Exactly...think of all the kids who want to sing or be actors, or pro sports - well, any of those hobbies are far more attainable and likely more enjoyable than trying to make those into careers. Truth is, you can't always work hard enough to be a "pro" at the thing you like most - and that's okay! As long as you accept that it's okay (and the parents do too!).

Old 04-18-2019, 08:41 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
Tell her that her guidance counselors at school can best help her with this and email them, CC'ing her school email, with exactly this message.

They have the resources and experience to help her along with this, or know people who can help. Ask them for help; it's what your taxes pay for... <3
It might be what you THINK your taxes pay for but as a retired high school teacher my experience is most school counselors are way too busy to counsel students on proper job paths...
They have all kinds of other tasks taking up their time
They do maybe three things in a student’s high school life about career/college...

OP—your daughter might want to own a horse ranch but she needs to consider what the future holds for that type of endeavor—
Likely going to be very $$$$ and ecologically difficult==

She might consider just riding horses as a hobby and working with them in other ways
There are psychology programs that use horses as therapy
She could get degree in psychology and learn how to do that
She could get degree in public relations/communications and help create charities to protect animals including horses
She could become a scientist and work on equine disease, learn how to do artificial insemmination/breeding, create various forms of virtual horses
She could become attorney and deal with animal rights
If she is artistic she could design apparel for riders and leather goods, become photographer specializing in animals, create games/toys around horses

Old 04-18-2019, 08:49 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Hi, I have an 11 year old daughter who's an animal lover. Aren't they all? She's very smart, talented, and beautiful. Aren't they all?

Anyway, her goal is to have a horse ranch someday, which I can't really help with. I live in Colorado, but I'm originally from NYC, and I wouldn't know a ranch from an iceberg. I won't have the resources to buy a ranch, and my daughter knows that.

I've tried to steer her towards Vet school, thinking that would be make sense, that she could be the vet in a small town or rural area, and that she could buy some land and start her ranch that way. However, she doesn't want to do all the yucky stuff, surgeries, etc.

Any ideas regarding how I can help at this point? My daughter's ok with her dream ranch being in Wyoming, North Dakota, etc. I'm interested in any colleges that offer programs that might steer her on her way. She's been volunteering at a local farm, but there must be more she can do. At this point, I'd say "get a degree in Animal Science or something and an MBA to teach you how to run a farm/ranch."

And yes, I realize that she may do a 180 and end up on a completely different path, but you have to have a plan, even if we know what happens to plans.

Actually, no, you don't have to have a plan so far in advance. Steering her to her pre-teen dream may just limit her breadth as she gets older.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:57 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,819,117 times
Eleven years old?

Leave her to explore and imagine and research .. and dream...on her own.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:12 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, she's 11. That's an age when some girls go through a horse-y phase. Let it play itself out. By 15, she may well be on to something else. But owning a horse ranch does involve "yucky stuff"' breeding, births, illness, perhaps breaking wild horses or training difficult ones, cleaning up after them, etc. If she wants to pay people to do all the yucky stuff, she'll have to figure out a way to make enough money to be able to do that.

How is she with math, btw? To own and run a horse ranch, she'll need business skills.

There may be a lot of aspects of horse ranching, that she hasn't thought through. Property taxes, for one thing...
And how much in buying the ranch to start with!

Seems that at the age of 11 she needs to concentrate on all the math and science classes - which can hardly do her wrong, regardless of what she ends up deciding.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:42 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Anyway, her goal is to have a horse ranch someday, which I can't really help with. I live in Colorado, but I'm originally from NYC, and I wouldn't know a ranch from an iceberg. I won't have the resources to buy a ranch, and my daughter knows that.
Why would you think you would have to buy the ranch for your daughter when she's an adult?

Your resources shouldn't have any bearing on what she does when she is grown up, it's her life.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:02 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Why would you think you would have to buy the ranch for your daughter when she's an adult?

Your resources shouldn't have any bearing on what she does when she is grown up, it's her life.
Same reason parents use their retirement to pay for expensive colleges, or are willing to risk jail to get their kids accepted at a fancy college Same reason they buy teenagers brand new luxury cars. Same reason they let their kids live at home and mooch off them when they are thirty five.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:17 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
If people read the OP she clearly stated it may change, but wants to help her now. Nothing wrong with that. I say kudos to the OP helping her daughter explore the possibilities!
No, there is nothing wrong with exploring different interests and hobbies. But when a parent starts asking what master's program their 11 year old child should enroll on, that goes a bit beyond just exploring different possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting