Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:51 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,732 times

Advertisements

All three of my babies slept on their belllies. I know, I know, everyone says they have to sleep on their backs, but mine were not having it. Once I flipped those little ones over, they were golden.

However, I was not comfortable with them on their bellies in the bassnet - too small I thought for my big babies (9+ pounders). I moved them to their crib - kept nothing in the crib (not even the pretty bumpers) and dressed them in a blanket sleeper. They were great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 12:54 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
The startle reflex wakens them on their back, doesn't on their tummies.
Exactly! It was so asful to watch theis little baby sleeping peacefully, only to startle himself awake again and again.

Oh, and as for the cry it out thing - a baby that young should never be left to cry at all. Just my two cents, but a newborn is crying for a reason, and no good can come of letting them cry alone.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2008, 04:42 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
Exactly! It was so asful to watch theis little baby sleeping peacefully, only to startle himself awake again and again.

Oh, and as for the cry it out thing - a baby that young should never be left to cry at all. Just my two cents, but a newborn is crying for a reason, and no good can come of letting them cry alone.

Good luck!
Oh, I'm glad you said it. I feel the same way. A newborns needs and wants are one in the same thing.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:55 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
All three of my babies slept on their belllies. I know, I know, everyone says they have to sleep on their backs, but mine were not having it. Once I flipped those little ones over, they were golden.

However, I was not comfortable with them on their bellies in the bassnet - too small I thought for my big babies (9+ pounders). I moved them to their crib - kept nothing in the crib (not even the pretty bumpers) and dressed them in a blanket sleeper. They were great!
Oh, the memories just came flooding back to when my daughter (who was also a big baby at birth) would be asleep in her sleep sac fleece blanket zipped up thingamajiggy. She was just precious in that thing - we had at least three in rotation at any give size through 2 and she slept like a log (on her back, though).

Old 04-17-2008, 08:01 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
I used to toss her crib sheet in the dryer when I got up to feed my daughter, put it on shortly before she was ready to go in, putting a heavy, warm towel on over it to keep it warm til she was ready. that way, she was ready to go into a warm bed from my warm arms...the temp. change was what woke her up...we also used one of those baby things that made ocean waves noise and it helped too....

Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
1) We also used the SwaddleMe with great success. I fully recommend it.

2) One theory says that the reason you are supposed to lay your baby on his back is precisely BECAUSE he sleeps more soundly on his belly. The theory goes that a baby on his belly sleeps so soundly that if he is in distress he does not wake up, leading to SIDS. But a baby on his back sleeps less soundly and wakes more easily from distress. The rate of SIDS has gone way way down since they have been advocating babies sleeping on their backs. Therefore, I say put your baby on his back anyway, even though he wakes more that way.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:47 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
I think at 3 weeks you probably still feel a bit out of sorts with him no longer being inside you, as many of us do after giving birth. So think of it on his end as well...he's likely not used to it just yet either.

Also remember that your baby, being still fresh out of the nice, snug, warm womb that muted sound and light, has been thrust into a world of full sound, full light, alternating temperatures and with no restriction of movement, all of which likely still startle him and may for more weeks to come.

He may need to feel more secure, as in swaddling. He may need to be kept warmer, as in next to your body. He may need a soothing sound to comfort him, such as heartbeat or waves type sound.

Enjoy learning about him and his needs during this time and don't worry so much over where he sleeps as long as he's safe and secure.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:01 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie741 View Post
I now have an almost 3 week old. Any suggestions on how to get him to sleep in his bassinette? He loves to sleep in his bouncy chair. However, getting him to sleep on his back in his bassinette is not happening. I hate to let him cry it out at such a young age. So far we have been letting him sleep in the bouncy chair at night but now eventually he is going to have to get use to sleeping flat on his back. Any suggestions would help or if anyone had a similiar issue.
When Max was 3 weeks, I was just praying to God that he slept. I didn't care where!!! I was so sleep deprived that if he slept on the floor I would be okay with it too.
Anyway - Keep trying to put him in bassinet in the beginning, if it's not happening, move him to where he will sleep. Eventually, he will get sick of sleeping in the bouncer, who wouldn't? And actually my son also slept much better on the stomach then back. Did you try swaddling?

Old 04-17-2008, 01:38 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
Be sure to swaddle him up nice and tight...I mean, not too tight but they love to be swaddled. Rock him for a bit and once he is asleep, lay him down.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:17 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
My twins are a month old and will pretty much sleep in anything - bassinet, crib, carseat, bouncer, stroller, etc...(thank goodness!). But, they sleep best when they are tightly swaddled. Have you tried that? I use Kiddopatomus SwaddleMe (from BRU). If I don't swaddle them, the startle reflex wakes them a lot.

They were born 5 weeks premature & spent 18 days in NICU. By the time I got them home, they would turn themselves to sleep on their sides, even while swaddled. The NICU nurses & my pediatrician were/are not concerned but all said not to put them on their tummies unless during supervised tummy-time. We had to sleep with the lights on for a couple of nights then went to a night light for a few more nights and then to lights-out completely.

Last edited by Sampaguita; 04-18-2008 at 12:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting