Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 22,793 times

Advertisements

Help, my 5 year old boy recently started Kindergarten. When he pees he pulls his pants and underwear all the way down to the ground. I never thought anything of it, I'm just happy he pees in the toilet. However, his principal told me I needed to show him not to pull his pants all the way down because the other kids are laughing at him. I'm not sure how to teach him to do this since most of his shorts (it's summer in Alabama) are elastic wasted. I tried to get him to pee without pulling his pants all the way down and he got a little bit of pee on it. I know if he does this the kids will really laugh at him. Should I just tell my kid to tell the other kids to buzz off or try to get him to pee with his pants up? I didn't think I would have to worry about mean kids in kindergarten!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 05:08 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
I am a former elementary teacher. Kindergarten is usually the time that most boys start to learn how to pee through the opening in their underwear. Even if he pulls down his elastic waist pants and pees through the fly of his underwear he would not be "mooning" every other boy in the bathroom. I believe that by first grade the vast majority of the boys (probably almost 100%) do not pull both their underwear and pants down.

And, yes, he may be a little messy in the beginning (and get a little pee on his underwear), that is why you should practice that at home. If he
practices "shaking" to get the last drops of urine off, it shouldn't be a problem with wet pants). If he has a dad or big brother or male cousin they can help him learn to "pee like a big boy".

I have suspected that some boys get used to just pulling down their pull-ups and pants (when they are toilet training) and it becomes a habit. Now he needs to start new "big boy" habits

Good luck.

You are correct that the other boys should not be teasing him, but they are generally alone in the bathroom (without their kindergarten teacher) so they may be less nice than usual.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:58 PM

5 posts, read 22,793 times
Thank you for your insight! My husband showed him he doesn’t need to pull his pants at all the way down. He was able to pee without pulling his pants down so hopefully he will do that at school. I explained to him he has to be more “modest” especially at school. I will definitely get underwear with the fly because his briefs now don’t have that! He didn’t seem bothered if any of the kids were laughing at him so I’m probably overreacting but I realize he shouldn’t be dropping his pants anyways. Thank you again for your response!

Old 08-15-2019, 09:18 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
The principal told you this? Not his teacher? And the principal told you the other kids are laughing? He's the ONLY boy in the class who does this??

Our kindergarten classes do not use community bathrooms. They have individual one-toilet bathrooms off the classroom and go in one at a time. I'm a bit surprised you didn't hear about it from his teacher.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The principal told you this? Not his teacher? And the principal told you the other kids are laughing? He's the ONLY boy in the class who does this??

Our kindergarten classes do not use community bathrooms. They have individual one-toilet bathrooms off the classroom and go in one at a time. I'm a bit surprised you didn't hear about it from his teacher.
Many kindergarten classes do not have private bathrooms in the classroom.

I am speculating that the principal discussed it with the mother because he observed it first hand (or less likely, the female teacher was uncomfortable discussing it with the parents).

From my experience as a team teacher in kindergarten, yes, it is possible that he is the only boy, or probably one of a very few boys, who still pull their pants and underwear all the way down to the floor when they urinate at school. Usually boys learn quite quickly that is not considered appropriate in a communal bathroom to show all of your bare butt.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:04 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

I am speculating that the principal discussed it with the mother because he observed it first hand (or less likely, the female teacher was uncomfortable discussing it with the parents).
1) We don't know that the principal was male.

2) I definitely hope a teacher wouldn't be uncomfortable discussing this with parents, since bathroom behavior is a very common topic at that age.

The whole situation is ... unusual.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:10 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
You just realized now (by someone else telling you) that him showing his whole bottom half this may be an issue at school??????? In front of other kids????

Old 08-15-2019, 11:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
If it helps, I seen plenty of adult guys do this, lol.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:41 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,006 times
Please. I’ve walked into airport bathrooms nay to see grown men with their pants down to their knees at the urinal. Guess they went to the wrong kindergarten.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:30 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
While attending my son's wedding, some of my son's friends were snickering that some old guy was in the bathroom with his pants down to his ankles in front of the urinal with his bare butt sticking out. This person at the urinal happened to be my brother (the groom's uncle) and many of the younger men found this very amusing. I found out about it because my son mentioned it to me afterwards.

I mentioned this to my other brother and he told me that's how my brother in question (his twin) always peed.

OP, I think if grownups laugh at this, then school age boys will certainly find it funny also. Teasing hurts, and this could even lead to bullying. I think you should definitely correct your son's method to avoid problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting