Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 05:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times

Advertisements

Preschools have protocols in place for hitting and biting as it is common for the age. Parents cannot actually address the hitting that happens at school because the timing is not going to work.

In general, what our preschools did was to shadow the hitter or biter to prevent the hit or bite. Then they would talk to the kids together and give the aggressive child other things they can do instead. Parents can talk to the child at home and should, but the school needs to address this in the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 06:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Parents can talk to the child at home and should, but the school needs to address this in the moment.
The peace token is part of how Montessori schools do deal with aggression "in the moment."

They have a whole system that builds "peace education" in with the curriculum, but at this age IMHO it doesn't deal quickly enough with the actual problem.

OP did you choose this school for a reason? I would sit down with the school director and talk about your concerns that your child is being continually victimized while they stick to a protocol that doesn't seem to be working with the hitter.

Then you need to re-evaluate whether this is the preschool for you, based on their response to your concerns.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:25 PM

1,159 posts, read 621,035 times
You march your self in the school and raise hell.you are expecting little kids to deal with this on their own?! The school is obviously messed up if they don't intervene...

Old 01-29-2020, 07:43 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,584,523 times
At my grandson's preschool, they call the parent's sometime and they have to pick the offender up. They teach empathy and alternative behaviors, but sometimes the behaviors continue so the kids are denied permission to stay with the other children for the rest of the day.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:41 PM

5 posts, read 4,582 times
I picked this school because of their approach to learning - giving the child time and the atmosphere to focus and go deeper into activities. And I do like the peace token idea of resolving conflict. I’m just wondering, what the limits are, and if I pull her out, am I giving her the wrong message that I don’t think she can stand up for herself? I want her to be strong and resilient. When is it too much, though?

Old 01-29-2020, 08:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerElla View Post

... am I giving her the wrong message that I don’t think she can stand up for herself?
That's looking at the situation from an adult POV. She's a toddler. She most likely just wants to have as much fun as possible in her day.

Quote:

I want her to be strong and resilient. When is it too much, though?
She's already proven that she is that, and she probably would just be glad to not have to fight off this other kid.

You just need to ask the school how much is too much and see if their definition aligns with yours. Don't be afraid to trust your gut.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:53 AM

701 posts, read 1,710,020 times
The hitting stage usually doesn't last long, so pulling her out may be too big of a reaction. My son was frequently bit and hit by a kid in his preschool class. We talked about what happens right before he did that--so that my son could identify when he was at risk. We also talked with the kid's parent and learned that he was seeking some physical interaction, so my son started giving him high-fives (alot at first!) and it worked.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:56 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times
Quote:
I picked this school because of their approach to learning - giving the child time and the atmosphere to focus and go deeper into activities. And I do like the peace token idea of resolving conflict. I’m just wondering, what the limits are, and if I pull her out, am I giving her the wrong message that I don’t think she can stand up for herself? I want her to be strong and resilient. When is it too much, though?
She's 3.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:27 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,551,142 times
Eh I feel like at age 3 kids should know not to hit. My kids are 3 and 5 and we haven’t had to deal with hitting in school on either side. So the mom here has reason to be mad.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:34 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
In kindergarten I was regularly punched in the stomach by a boy named Scott Parker. I'm clueless why he chose me to be the one that he punched; I guess if he hit another boy they would punch him back. He was eventually removed from class but it didn't stop him until he was kicked out of school.

I'm going to be 54 in a month and still remember the punches, I wasn't much older then your daughter. If it doesn't stop, your daughter could potentially have memories of this girl hitting her with the school not stepping up for the rest of her life too. She is being bullied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting