Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,948,972 times

Advertisements

Seriously......

I am to assume that most of the responding posters never drank underage??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 PM

793 posts, read 2,215,295 times
I have at age 2, but it was an accident. At a wedding dance. The adult went dancing putting their glasses on their chairs, and I started emptying them one by one. My mom said I slept well that night.

But seriously, I remember having a glass of champagne (with Alcohol) for every new year celebration, since before i was a teen. Had some wine every so often with the meal since maybe age 13. Could drink pure whiskey (nothing mix with it) like water by age 16. After 19 I slowed down and now only drink as a social drinker. Ok I am French, if you didn't guess right away.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,147,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Seriously......

When I was young the age was 18. My friends took me out to celebrate and I had a whiskey sour. No one in my family drank. It wasn't an issue or desire. When I got to college I drank at parties because everyone else was and to feel grownup. I never saw any reason to drink anything unless it was sweet and yummy so I never drank anything hard. I never bought any alcohol just to drink by myself in my room. Thirty years later I still haven't. I guess I don't have the gene.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:52 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,797,030 times
Quote:
Seriously......

Oh no, I drank like a fish from around age 15 on.

But my parents were largely cool with it. My Dad set a very good example and would never drink too much and then drive the car and I followed his lead on that. I grew up in an area where it was quite easy to get around on foot. And I never caused any trouble due to my drinking.

They sort of took the "European approach" for lack of a better description. Ease the boy in, demystify it and teach that like all things, it has its limitations.

That was their choice and will be mine as well. But ultimately its this guy's parents, not us, who decided that. At least while he is dependent on them.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:58 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,930,949 times
Quote:
Seriously......

No-I didn't. Difficult to believe-I get that, but there are some out there who get that there are reprocussions to stupidity. Seriously-my mother would have killed me and it just wasn't worth the hassel for me. I insisted my boyfriend not drink if I was with him at a party too until he was 21. He's now my husband so I guess he didn't get too mad about it.

Last edited by regarese; 04-30-2008 at 08:09 AM..

Old 05-01-2008, 09:26 AM

22,283 posts, read 19,267,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlechica View Post
Hi, I am 19 years old and I enjoy occasionally having a glass of wine or a drink, but have never once became intoxicated. I had three 1 oz bottles of vodka, one was empty, in my closet and my younger sister "stumbled" upon them and told my mother who is, in my opinion making a mountain out of a mole hill. She freaked out because I had, to her knowledge, 1 drink. She is busy trying to develop some kind of punishment and is acting like I deliberately broke her trust and what not. In my opinion, it is not a big deal. I do not go out and get drunk, I don't party, I simply had a drink.

What is your opinion, what would you do if you found out your 19 year old, adult daughter had a drink?
My kids, now age 21, 21 and 23 have all heard me talk to them about alcohol (and other drugs that are addictive, toxic, and life-threatening) since they were about 5 years old.

I tell them they have a choice to drink and do drugs and that is their choice. I also tell them the consequences: your brain is impaired, you act like an as*hole, you endanger your own life and other people's lives. If you end up in jail i will leave you there (they know i mean it too) and tell you i love you and give you a list of meetings for Alcoholics Anonymous.

Also I have taken them each to meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous so they can see the reality of what is ahead of them should they choose to drink.

Yes it is one drink. yes it is one joint of marijuana. yes it is one shot of heroin. They are one and the same. Choose drugs and your life goes in the toilet, that is your choice to make. Just because it's legal and seen as "acceptable" (alcohol) doesn't make it any different than heroin or crack cocaine. It leads to the same point: death, destruction, prison, you destroy your body you destroy your life.

It's not a moral lecture, i believe with my kids whatever age, age 4 and 12 and 19 and 23, to know they have choices to make, and to go in with their eyes wide open regarding the natural consequences of those actions.

Also i let them know they have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism. My son at age 4 was diagnosed with a compromised liver already. So he knows any poison he puts in his body, he's playing with a loaded gun.

It's his choice, and he knows that.

There is no "safe" use of drugs or "safe" level of drinking, just as there is no "safe" level of using crack cocaine or heroin.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 AM

22,283 posts, read 19,267,501 times
Quote:
At 19, you should be able to enjoy a glass of wine or a beer or a cocktail without having to hide it from your parents.

Because people make such a big deal about alcohol in this country -- we have rampant underage (and legal age) binge drinking.

I was raised in a family culture where alcohol (wine) was part of a meal and to be savored and enjoyed with food.

I don't see a problem with a 19 year old having a drink -- but she shouldn't have to hide it
The problem is alcoholism. There is no sane or safe use of alcohol. Period. Yes cultures "accept" and "ecnourage" and "savor" alcohol and they are nations of addicts and alcoholics. It is not high class. It is just addicts trying to dress up as high class. Be honest. Get real. No different in mind, body, spirit, or reality than the junkie on the street, just dressed better, eating fancier food, and wallowing in denial.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:05 AM

137 posts, read 395,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Where did you get the 1-oz bottles of vodka? Where do you get the wine when you drink it?
Do you have any alcoholism in your family? Did you mix that vodka you drank with anything or just drink it straight? If it's no big deal can you just stop drinking period so as to not worry your mother? Does the thought of not drinking anymore make you feel a little anxious? How long have you been drinking? Do you usually drink alone?

wow, settle down, she said she had 1 drink. and doesnt "party" doesnt sound like an alcoholic to me. the kids you have to worry about are the ones who go to college having never tried alcohol, those are the ones that wake up in jail or the hospital having no idea how they got there

Old 05-02-2008, 08:11 AM

137 posts, read 395,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
The problem is alcoholism. There is no sane or safe use of alcohol. Period. Yes cultures "accept" and "ecnourage" and "savor" alcohol and they are nations of addicts and alcoholics. It is not high class. It is just addicts trying to dress up as high class. Be honest. Get real. No different in mind, body, spirit, or reality than the junkie on the street, just dressed better, eating fancier food, and wallowing in denial.

i mean honestly. everyone on this post is a little out of control. get of your high horses and accept the fact that some drugs are ok in small doses. Especially if they are legal. Do you drink coffee? Seriously, lets not make a big deal out of a 19 year old woman who seems to have her head on her shoulders having one drink. yes she's in her parents house, so should abide by their rules, but that doesnt seem to be the argument here.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:37 AM

793 posts, read 2,215,295 times
I think the overeacting of the parents would cause more damage to her then the single drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting