Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:49 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times

Advertisements

A glass of wine in NOT equivalent to a line of coke or shooting up with a dose of heroin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 09:15 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
A glass of wine in NOT equivalent to a line of coke or shooting up with a dose of heroin!
Of course it is! And it leads to the same place.
The only difference is that one is legal and available.
That is the hypocrisy.

Put another way, how do you explain to someone what is the difference?

Old 05-02-2008, 09:33 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake786 View Post
i mean honestly. everyone on this post is a little out of control. get of your high horses and accept the fact that some drugs are ok in small doses. Especially if they are legal. Do you drink coffee? Seriously, lets not make a big deal out of a 19 year old woman who seems to have her head on her shoulders having one drink. yes she's in her parents house, so should abide by their rules, but that doesnt seem to be the argument here.
Alcoholism and drug addiction is a big problem in this country. No one has a sign on their head saying future addict or future problem drinker so we like to err on the side of caution.
She didn't have one drink, she just got CAUGHT having one drink. I don't know where she started in her drinking but she's up to having shots of vodka (at least), alone in her room. I wish very much that she was guaranteed against abuse. But people don't find out they have the gene or the propensity until it's to late. Rehabs, homeless shelters, hospitals, Alcoholics Anonymous, broken families, destroyed friendships and prisons can attest to that.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:10 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Of course it is! And it leads to the same place.
The only difference is that one is legal and available.
That is the hypocrisy.

Put another way, how do you explain to someone what is the difference?
Well, a glass of red wine has proven health benefits, heroin does not.

Wine is legal and all-natural, heroin is not.

C'mon -- not everyone who enjoys a drink has alcoholic tendencies! Geez!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:12 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
They must do, with a history of brewing in my family and me new a homebrewer I must be like the Antichrist or something to some people. Crazy.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:39 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlechica View Post
Hi, I am 19 years old and I enjoy occasionally having a glass of wine or a drink, but have never once became intoxicated. I had three 1 oz bottles of vodka, one was empty, in my closet and my younger sister "stumbled" upon them and told my mother who is, in my opinion making a mountain out of a mole hill. She freaked out because I had, to her knowledge, 1 drink. She is busy trying to develop some kind of punishment and is acting like I deliberately broke her trust and what not. In my opinion, it is not a big deal. I do not go out and get drunk, I don't party, I simply had a drink.

What is your opinion, what would you do if you found out your 19 year old, adult daughter had a drink?
Boy did you ever get busted.

Didn't you ever learn to dispose of all evidence of wrong-doing? If I ever brought anything home it was disquised as something unrecognizable. I was notorious among my friends for using Scope bottles to hide Vodka. A drop or two of green food coloring made it look exactly like Scope. Keep the plastic seal and tape it back on. But make sure you rinse the bottle out really well or the vodka will have a minty taste.

But this is seriously bad behavior and I do not condone it.

Living at home after high school is a real drag. Unfortunately I spent a few years living at home and attending a local college after high school so I can relate. If you would have gone off to college you wouldn't be living under your parents' thumb. This is why all three of my kids are going to be sent away to college...or something...after graduation. They're getting booted from the nest. I don't want to know what they do outside of class. All I want to know is that they are making decent grades.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Well, a glass of red wine has proven health benefits, heroin does not.

Wine is legal and all-natural, heroin is not.

C'mon -- not everyone who enjoys a drink has alcoholic tendencies! Geez!
Health benefits? As in addiction? Brain damage? Poisons the liver? Impaired cognitive function? Fetal alcohol syndrome?

Wine all natural? As in made from grapes?
Heroin comes from the poppy plant, so it too is all natural, comes from those pretty flowers!

Your list is not very long I see.
Shooting a line of heroin is the same as drinking wine.
You end up at the same place.
Do what you want, just don't sugar coat it into something it is not.

How does this sound, "Oh a little bit of heroin makes me feel better! Makes me relax! Makes the meal taste better! I'm so stressed i need to unwind!"

Same thing.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:19 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
Red wine tastes so bad...LOL

Old 05-02-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
They must do, with a history of brewing in my family and me new a homebrewer I must be like the Antichrist or something to some people. Crazy.
It's not about morals, just hypocrisy.

I could lean on the old family tradition too, quote the old family tree, generations of Irish blood, good German stock blah blah blah, but the truth? No matter how you cut it, generations of alcoholics. It is an addictive substance. Period. It is what it is. I can't tell my kids "don't shoot heroin but it's OK to drink booze" without being a hypocrite. I just want my kids to have accurate information about the toxins and poisons they put in their body, and the natural consequences of making that choice.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-02-2008 at 02:30 PM..

Old 05-02-2008, 02:51 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
I have generations of alcoholics because I have brewers in my blood ? If thats what yorue saying you have made my day with the funniest thing I have heard so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting