Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 12:24 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Most Dad's would beat up or at least go crazy over an adult who was coming to meet and maybe do more to his teenage minor daughter. Let's be real. It's a simple reality check.
I completely agree with this, but my issue is, the guy does not look like an adult to me. Now if this was clearly a middle-aged man, then yeah, I definitely think most fathers would snap. But I saw a picture of the boy and to me he looked like he could have been anywhere from 15-20. Not what I would have been able to automatically discern as an "adult." A 6 year age gap is not that huge.

Again, I'm not excusing the boy for what he did. I think he has been rightfully charged. I am just shocked that the dad beat him up and shot at him when he did not really look like an "adult" IMO (again with the caveat that I have not read anything that indicates that the boy was physically assaulting the girl....if the dad came in and that was happening, then all bets are off).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 12:38 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
Still doesn't make it right, what hope is there for a baby being raised by a child? History will just repeat itself. Leading to more dysfunctional families, ill educated people, disease and poverty.
true to that. But beating up and shooting someone is not the answer either.

Old 07-24-2020, 05:58 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
i my area in Ventura County they have babies at age 15. Hispanics. Very common to have 2 children by the age of 18. Some 25 year old hispanics I am talking to sound more mature than alot of white Americans at age 40.
There's nothing "mature" about making multiple kids before you're 18. It's plain stupidity.

Maturity would be waiting until you have the financial resources to care for those children, and being a lot more discerning about choosing who the father is (which teenagers don't tend to have the capability to do).

Old 07-24-2020, 06:54 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I completely agree with this, but my issue is, the guy does not look like an adult to me. Now if this was clearly a middle-aged man, then yeah, I definitely think most fathers would snap. But I saw a picture of the boy and to me he looked like he could have been anywhere from 15-20. Not what I would have been able to automatically discern as an "adult." A 6 year age gap is not that huge.

Again, I'm not excusing the boy for what he did. I think he has been rightfully charged. I am just shocked that the dad beat him up and shot at him when he did not really look like an "adult" IMO (again with the caveat that I have not read anything that indicates that the boy was physically assaulting the girl....if the dad came in and that was happening, then all bets are off).

6 years is not that huge?

And ANY MAN ( hes not a boy, hes an adult) in my home, unannounced/uninvited, with my daughter? Hell. No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
There's nothing "mature" about making multiple kids before you're 18. It's plain stupidity.

Maturity would be waiting until you have the financial resources to care for those children, and being a lot more discerning about choosing who the father is (which teenagers don't tend to have the capability to do).
Amen. Maturity is not dating girls barely in HS.

Insanity.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Most Dad's would beat up or at least go crazy over an adult who was coming to meet and maybe do more to his teenage minor daughter. Let's be real. It's a simple reality check.
The question is, did he actually know this young man was an adult? How would he know that?

Old 07-24-2020, 07:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
6 years is not that huge?

And ANY MAN ( hes not a boy, hes an adult) in my home, unannounced/uninvited, with my daughter? Hell. No.

Amen. Maturity is not dating girls barely in HS.

Insanity.
He was invited. By the daughter. And while we all know she can't consent to sex at 14, she CAN consent to inviting someone into her home.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:26 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
The average juror would not be an expert on the law. Therefore the jury would need to be brought up to speed on the law by a court counselor thereby enabling a decision of guilty or not guilty to be made based on the law. I mean, a person's life may be at stake so there would need to be someone on hand versed in the law to guide a lawful jury decision. Or, maybe I am sadly naive.
Juries typically are finders of fact "Did X do Y". The law is up to teh judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I was 15 when I had a bf who was 23. No one got beaten and I survived without damage. I was not a skank, did not turn into a skank and the 23 year old guy was a virgin. Maybe he was a bit behind in his development, but oh well.

We need some gun control. He could have killed that boy. Violence is never the answer.
Your boyfriend would have been guilty of statutory rape in many states.

Violence is sometimes the answer. Unless you want to just give up all of your belongings to the nice gentleman demanding them rather than shooting him. The father was wrong to shoot at the guy as he ran away and was no longer a threat, but anyone in your house uninvited after dark is fair game.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:32 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
He was invited. By the daughter. And while we all know she can't consent to sex at 14, she CAN consent to inviting someone into her home.
He was NOT invited by the adult parent, owner of the home.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:42 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Minor age children, at least those raised by parents with the brains to set and enforce rules and boundaries, don't get to make the rules about who can come into the house and when. Only ones with that say are the adults putting the roof over that kid's head.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:26 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Minor age children, at least those raised by parents with the brains to set and enforce rules and boundaries, don't get to make the rules about who can come into the house and when. Only ones with that say are the adults putting the roof over that kid's head.
It can get interesting. My first wife died when my youngest of three daughters was 16. It was a disaster.

However the house. 3000 SF with 6 bedrooms and a pool. Was a regular gathering place and the kids involved were from 16 to 23. Anything from 5 to 12.

The rules were simple. Anyone could stay. But no sharing of beds between sexes. The guys ended up in sleeping bags in the living room. Girls all over the place. The ladies enforced the rules.

No doubt that any number of these sweet young things were capable of getting laid if they chose to...but not in the house.

These were relatively worldly people. Probably half worked at the S CA amusement parks including a couple of Disney characters. Pretty much all went to the same high school or the local Cal State College.

And they all pretty much behaved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting