Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:22 PM

545 posts, read 2,044,058 times

Advertisements

Dick Staub: Staublog - Miley's Lessons (http://www.dickstaub.com/culturewatch.php?record_id=1186 - broken link)

Im convinced that the next SuperStar Singer to take Maddonna/and Britneys place is going to be 15 year old Miss Mylie Cyrus given her enormous stardom. Its pretty apparent that she is going to be groomed by our illicit out of control sexualized Culture judging from the recent photo-shoot and skin tight revealing clothes she wears on stage . From what i can gather from her songs, she hasnt quite reached the level of promoting highly sexualized propoganda for her 4-14 year old audience YET...but Im expecting it within the next 2 years or so. Nor have i seen her flash the famous pop-culture Devils hand signal (given with the thumb and pinky finger with other fingers tucked in ...thrust into the camera as a loyalty sign to Satan) YET, as is popular from a variety of Singers today .

Are there any Parents who are deeply concerned about the highly charged sexual effect our Culture is having on very innocent young girls in particular who are pre-adolescent ? Is our Culture grooming our daughters to be Sexual Tramps at a very early age leading eventually to the very high risk of contracting 1 of the 33 STD's in circulation of which 2 are now fatal , and/or, to bolster the abortion rate of 4000 daily of which 95% are due to sexual hedonism gone (further) wrong ? These are the 'current' statistics found on the U.S. Governments CDC website .

Opinions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 07:29 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Yep. It happens all the time. Once she becomes of age (maybe even sooner!) her life is going to start going down hill. Between the producers, the media, other greedy influences, she'll be headlines within a couple of years. What a shame.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:50 AM

652 posts, read 2,664,113 times
I think about it, but dont worry much. I talk to my daughter all the time about that stuff and if she dresses and acts like that what it shows. She is only 12 now but I have already started talking to her in detail about std's. In fact I probably talk about them more than pregnancy. I think these days stds are worse.
I try to keep her from watching to much of that stuff without suffocating her. but what can you do? talk talk talk listen listen listen and pray pray pray. hopefully she will be okay

Old 05-04-2008, 10:59 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
When my children were minors, I use to screen every movie before I would let them see it. There were only certain programs on TV that they were allowed to watch. There were no TV's in their bedrooms either.

If mine were still children, it would still be that way. Todays society, movies, vidoe games, Tv programs and such has far to much sex and violence and has had the exact impact on society as I has predicted many years ago. Those modern cartoon programs like the Simpsons and such encourage sarcasm and that is exactly what is happening in todays world. The kids today have been conditioned that everything is ok..

Not long ago, I was visiting a relative and was watching the children play with cars. A little girl and boy. They were playing police chase and the story line was "I will chase you, you try to outrun me, I will catch you and you try to shoot me!".. These were KIDS!!

Old 05-04-2008, 03:37 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
While the media can have a huge impact on kids, parents are still the biggest impact. I feel that "blaming" the media happens all too often, instead of parental responsiblity. Yes, the media is perputating a lot of things it shouldn't be, but you can counter-act what the media is doing (it's hard, yes, but you can)

Old 05-05-2008, 08:15 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
While the media can have a huge impact on kids, parents are still the biggest impact. I feel that "blaming" the media happens all too often, instead of parental responsiblity. Yes, the media is perputating a lot of things it shouldn't be, but you can counter-act what the media is doing (it's hard, yes, but you can)

I agree...At this rate there will never be a true child star that only conveys a positive light on our kids as long as they are in the business...It all comes down to parenting your kids... The child stars will always be there. The media will always be there...

Old 05-05-2008, 08:22 AM

545 posts, read 2,044,058 times
Its the Media that gives our impressionable children much more instruction than Parents. The Liberal Immoral Media promotes all sorts of illicit harmful sex using money making schemes and fueling sexual passions in young people that they are not mature enough to handle yet. in fact, the Media promotes an out of control viewpoint on human sexuality which is supposed to enhance personal freedom and entitlement . It is a gigantic out of control Monster ...the dumbing down of America which was kickstarted by irresponsible Kingpins such as sexual perversionist Dr. Alfred Kinsey , money-grubber at any expense Hugh Heffner, and the sensationalist Elvis Presley all from the late 1950's ... culminating in the enormous escalating moral degration of today.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:29 AM

793 posts, read 2,214,107 times
No it doesn't concerned me. It is the sets of mind that have to change. Teens should be able to wear what ever they want, when ever they want, they are old enough to choose.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:04 PM

29 posts, read 111,862 times
While I believe that the media has gone overboard in a lot of ways trying to send a message to young girls that they have to conform to a certain way, not only sexually but appearance wise as well, I do believe it's up to the parents to regulate what their children are exposed to. Instilling values, morals and self worth in your daughters is important as well. The media only has the power you give them to impact the lives of your children. I think it's important to start with your daughters young, giving them the tools they need to hopefully be able to deal with the pressures they will get mainly from their peers, and have the ability to stand up for what they believe in instead of buckling under that pressure. Having an open line of communication is one of the main keys as well. They have to know they can talk to you, even if you don't like what comes out of their mouth, they have to know you won't reject or think of them any differently. It seems a lot of parents are absentee parents and tend to sit their kids in front of the tv without paying much attention to what they are watching, using it as a babysitter. I would imagine that most young girls that are caught up in things like this are seeking some type of attention, usually the wrong attention to fill some void they have in their lives and being to young to understand what they need, get their answers where they can find them. I think one of the best gifts you can give your daughter(s) is self esteem and self worth and to let them know it's ok to be different, that they don't have to conform to what society and the media dubs as "beautiful" or what they media tells them they should "try". So many young girls get sucked into believing that nonsense which sometimes leads to eating disorders, suicidal thoughts, and periods where they don't have much self worth or self esteem. I've seen the effects of that in my cousins daughter. What most of these young girls don't realize is these images they see in magazines are airbrushed. Anyone can look good airbrushed and plastered in makeup so thick you would need a shovel to scrape it off. Teaching your daughter(s) that it's ok to say no isn't a bad idea either and even though I know this is focused on daughters, I believe it's equally important to teach your sons some important lessons to. Though it's hard to talk to your children about certain subjects whether they are boys or girls, and it can be uncomfortable, I think it's important they know you are in their corner and they can always talk to you. Even if you don't want to hear what they are about to tell you or the question they are about to ask.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:40 AM

82 posts, read 377,738 times
Hi, I am a mother of a 2 year old (i'm 27years old) and when I was younger, I love these young teen pop queens... But now that i'm a mother, I wouldn't want to allow my daughter to see such shows. I was just up at my nieces whom are 5 and 7 yr olds and they KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT HANNAH MONTANNA and they're in love w/ them... and the 7 year old ACTS like her! omgggggggggggggg, then my husband told her sister which is the mother of the nieces and she's like "she can't help it, the girls are exposed with these stuff in school and around her friends." so.......yeah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting