Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 09:54 PM

15 posts, read 31,197 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Over the last year my 13 year old daughter grew about 5" and gained a lot of weight. She's now 5'10" and 210lbs. I've heard of big grow spurts before at this age, but not accompanied by a huge weight gain. Is it normal to gain a lot of weight during an adolescence growth spurt like that?

I've also noticed a behavioral change over the last year too, specifically when she realized she was stronger than me. She's been more pushy with me, more disrespectful, and even a little physical. Her mom thinks it's just a phase and thinks she'll grow out of it.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Ethan
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 06:17 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,348 times
My suggestion is to have a doctor examine her. Being over 200 pounds at 13 years old is heading down an unhealthy path.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:28 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan2112 View Post
Hello,

Over the last year my 13 year old daughter grew about 5" and gained a lot of weight. She's now 5'10" and 210lbs.
I've heard of big grow spurts before at this age, but not accompanied by a huge weight gain. Is it normal to gain a lot of weight during an adolescence growth spurt like that?

I've also noticed a behavioral change over the last year too, specifically when she realized she was stronger than me. She's been more pushy with me, more disrespectful, and even a little physical. Her mom thinks it's just a phase and thinks she'll grow out of it.

Thanks,

Ethan
Although, I am not a doctor, her great weight gain connected with the huge gain in inches does seem pretty unusual. I would make sure that she has a very, very thorough medical exam. It may be normal for her or their may be some type of medical issue.

In boys it is sometimes connected with taking steroids or over the counter "muscle builders" for sports such as football or weightlifting. Is your daughter in sports that need great strength?

Her behavioral changes may just be because she is becoming a teenager and may be a phrase (IMHO, probably to both things). However, if your daughter felt in the past that your parenting skills & power were connected with "size and strength" and she resented that fact "the tables may have turned" in her favor.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:57 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,813 times
Yes, it's common to have SOME weigh gain at puberty, but not THAT much. I agree, take her to a doctor and maybe a nutritionist. Examine what she is eating and make sure there isn't a medical reason for being that heavy.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:57 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times
The weight gain concerns me as well. I'm 5'10 and the most I've ever weighed was 142 and my doctor said that was still in my BMI range, but on the upper side. I weigh in the 120s now. The attitude could be a teenage thing, but a hormonal imbalance could explain the sudden height, weight and mood changes. Definitely have her looked at.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:35 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan2112 View Post
Hello,

Over the last year my 13 year old daughter grew about 5" and gained a lot of weight. She's now 5'10" and 210lbs. I've heard of big grow spurts before at this age, but not accompanied by a huge weight gain. Is it normal to gain a lot of weight during an adolescence growth spurt like that?

Thanks,

Ethan
Get her into to see her doctor...at that age and already bring that height...it's not a bit of weight gain before a growth spurt....that is a health issue.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:58 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
I agree with all of the above, but it needs to be done with caring. You don't want to shame her, make her hate her newly developing body, etc.

Was she always a bigger girl? How tall is she?

It does concern me that you used your physical strength as a parenting tool of she is turning the tides now.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:09 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
Be sure that she is healthy. That is most important, About disrespect, she is entering to the age that she knows everything. For that you need to be strong. Make sure that attitude is not acceptable till she lives under you and as you pay all her cost.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:09 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
would suggest you start with her regular doctor and next stop endocrinologist unless doc goes another direction. hormones go all sorts of crazy for all sorts of reasons.

that could even explain the behavior change.

good luck

Old 03-27-2015, 10:16 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
You didn't tell us what her weight was prior to this growth spurt. How much weight did she gain? Was she on the heavier side previously?

Having asked those questions though 210 at her height is not healthy. It puts her at risk for diabetes, even at age 13, and more health problems later in life.

My daughter gained weight during those prepubescent years to the point of being a little overweight. It disappeared as her height caught up and she began to menstruate. This really sounds like something else is going on.

The behavior change--hormones, depression, etc. can all factor into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting